The importance of being able to see what you are doing...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Maskery

Established Member
Reaction score
I've got very poor eyesight, have had since early childhood. With my contact lenses in I can see pretty much normally, but without them it's mainly just colour and movement for anything further than 3" from my nose.

This morning I snagged my trousers, putting them on. Time to cut my toenails, methinks.

Long story short, blood everywhere and my big toe hurts like mad.

Steve, whatever else you do, PROMISE ME you will think long and carefully, regarding what implement you use, before you trim your nose hair? 8)

Sam

Steve Maskery":3brm1xzu said:
I've got very poor eyesight, have had since early childhood. With my contact lenses in I can see pretty much normally, but without them it's mainly just colour and movement for anything further than 3" from my nose.

This morning I snagged my trousers, putting them on. Time to cut my toenails, methinks.

Long story short, blood everywhere and my big toe hurts like mad.
Easy solution Steve, put your socks on first and you won't snag your trousers, socks might end up holed of course. Either that or get your nose to within 3" before you cut. :wink:

On a serious note don't cut your toe if you get diabetes, a mate did that once and ended up in hospital. :shock:

As said above, older and diabetic people need to be extremely careful about any cuts on toes and feet.
Steve, if it was me I'd grit my teeth and prepare for a long wait at A&E, just to be safe.
And while in the queue, surf for a professional toe nail cutter :roll: 8)

Steve Maskery":fpev5y6d said:
Lons":fpev5y6d said:
Either that or get your nose to within 3" before you cut. :wink:

With my waistline? You must be joking.
I've seen your posts about your delicious looking home cooking so no surprise.
Maybe solicit the services of a nice young lady to take care of your phalanges. :wink:

Perhaps your using the wrong sharpening method and the cutters are dull. The best method of sharpening without doubt is........., :D :D

What a coincidence, Steve! Yesterday I was engaged in the same activity. Since my teens I've had a malformed large toenail resulting from the nail being removed to deal with an infection. about every 6 months I would give it a hack to keep it in trim. However in recent years I seemed to have neglected it and it has become quite large; way beyond my old treatment methods. What to do about it? For some time I had been thinking that my Dremel may find a new use, so yesterday I was in the workshop with little else to do. Shoe off, sock off, foot on stool, drum sander on Dremel - off we go. It worked amazingly well and in 10mins the job was done if a little untidily.
There was only a little spot of blood which was quickly cauterized with my 15W soldering iron**.
Fortunately my eyesight is not to bad with the help of specs and I've managed to keep my belly profile in better shape than my toenail so direct line of sight available - no need for a mirror!
It feels a little bruised this morning but when it's settled down I might have another go at it; you know, down through the grades and bit of French polish to to make it beach acceptable.
Brian
** in the absence of SawStop I have a 100W iron for larger injuries #-o

Talking of polish...
Some of us remember Pete Martin. He worked on Good Woodworking for many years. As well as being an excellent photographer (he used to come and shoot all my projects when they were published) he was a general polymath. He knew lots about lots.
He also painted his toenails. He would arrive in the middle of winter, pony-tail, sandals and red toes. Ah, we miss you, Pete.

Yojevol":3c3o195n said:
Fortunately my eyesight is not to bad with the help of specs and I've managed to keep my belly profile in better shape than my toenail so direct line of sight available - no need for a mirror!
Dremel or router to keep the belly in shape? :twisted: :lol:

Lons":2ny307yq said:
Yojevol":2ny307yq said:
Dremel or router to keep the belly in shape? :twisted: :lol:
Router for the belly, definitely. Just come in from an hour trying to keep up with my mower and keep it on route. No objections from the big toe. Now for a pint - just to add that bit of curved finesse to the belly. :D

Talking of which (bellies) "who needs a six-pack when you can have a keg?"...(!) Quotation from a redneck logger I caught while channel-hopping... :D

Sam

SammyQ":188gkxva said:
Talking of which (bellies) "who needs a six-pack when you can have a keg?"...(!) Quotation from a redneck logger I caught while channel-hopping... :D

Sam
Anyone that needs to run.

Time to make the ultimate toenail jig Steve.

Pete

Latest posts

Back