The Ideal Workshop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aragorn

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, the idea here is to add your ideas as they come up for what makes The Ideal Workshop. Also add in reasons if they're not stark obvious!
Now, I'm talking design and layout here, rather than types or makes of tools.
Everyone's needs in a workshop will be different, so I'm hoping that we'll get really useful concepts for when someone needs to build that dream workshop!
Add in any great solutions you came up with for space saving, storage etc.

I'll get the ball rolling with a few things I noticed today in the workshop. They may not be the most obvious, so...

Double doors - really handy! I have often noticed that stock enters the workshop vaguely flat, and exits rather more bulking. Very embarrassing when you can't get your completed project out the door!
Good road access - mine's at the bottom of the garden. It's not a long walk, but I'm getting so tired of loading and unloading to the car every time. I actually put off ordering heavy sheet materials for this reason alone!
Dust extraction - how I wish! Efficient extraction from anywhere in the workshop! Built-in for all the major machines.
Decent outfeed support - for the SCMS, TS, BS, Planer etc. I use that system where my storage benches are the outfeed for my SCMS. I like this system and I'd keep it in my Ideal Workshop.
Offcut Storage - when I designed my workshop, I thought of everything regarding wood storage, except I totally underestimated the quantity of offcuts that I accumulate. I'd love a system of storage for small pieces that actually allowed me to see what I've got. The pile might go down then, instead of up and outwards.

I could go on... :D

i would include a good alarm system, first aid box and most importantly a coffee pot oh and a couple of good woodworking mags

Size.
My workshop is about 28' long IIRC. Tandem garage. But it's only about 10' wide at its narrowest, which is a bit of a pain. I'm forever moving the PT to give me clearance for the saw, then having to move it again to get to the other end of the workshop.
One feature which I didn't design but just happened - I have a high ceiling, because the upstairs is in line with the upstairs of the house, but the garage is lower than the house by about a foot. It makes turning long lengths over easy without bashing the lights.
If I was starting again from scratch I'd sacrifice a few inches of height by putting in an insulated board floor - mine is plain concrete.

Cheers
Steve

A spray booth/paint shop.

Enough room outside to stick dry a large amount of boards.

A kiln.

Regards

Woody

Heat... there's nothing worse than trying to scribe a line wi yer hands shakin like crazy... good insulation, sound and safe heat source

Light...multiple fittings / types for obvious reasons. Hook this up with wall and ceiling colours that don't absorb light.

space... room enough for proper clearance around the essential machines, work bench, assembly bench, and places to keep sub assemblies in progress...

storage figure how much you need and triple it... quadruple if yer a packrat...

I'll go with Mike. Oh, and a Carlsberg Bank ATM in the corner......

Noel

For the inerside of the person who is working in the workshop

And what about music. :D

I have even seen some workshop photo's (actually quite a lot) where they even have a TV set with video :D :D

AND MOST OF ALL

THE SHOP RULES 8)

Bean":1tarsrcc said:
Yes music but what about Tea :!:

and the odd bickkie

Bean

No Bean, I have told you before, Coffee. :shock:

I have a toasting fork hanging near the wood burner, if Philly would sent me the box of hardwood ends I am sure I could find some bread and marmalade. :)

I have a good selection of music, how about Songs from the Wood (Jethro Tull) 8)

And a finishing room - my workshop is fine until I build anything big and then there's no room for anything.

T

I'd love some natural light-theres only one window in my shop and it lets in not a lot. Lots of double glazed windows with a pretty view.
Just have to make do with looking at me tools........ :wink:
Philly :D

And don't forget the aircompressor, and fitted presure lines, I hate those hoses lying on the floor, is very uncomfortable to walk on

That is the next thing antfatique mats.

1. Space, space,space
2. Good lighting - daylight adjusted
3. Height for long boards
4. Good even solid floor for machines but of wood to ease the feet.
5. Light coloured walls
6. Separate areas for handwork, machines, assembly,sharpening, metalworking and finishing
7. Washbasin, loo
8. Air, gas and water available throughout the shop
9. Display area
10. Office area

And yes this is still for my ideal amateur's shop!

Let's not forget the nice, comfy arm chair, the supply of choccy biccies and a door which can be locked from the INSIDE to ensure that we are not disturbed (for safety reasons only you understand :? )

Taffy Turner":3821n6lt said:
a door which can be locked from the INSIDE to ensure that we are not disturbed (for safety reasons only you understand :? )
Hmm, not my idea of fun should I be lying on the floor quietly bleeding to death... :? So I'd add in some form of communications system to summon help if required.

Cheers, Alf

Hmm, not my idea of fun should I be lying on the floor quietly bleeding to death... So I'd add in some form of communications system to summon help if required.

Not wanting to mix and match off-topic and on-topic threads but I think what you are referring to is a mobile :wink: :D :lol:

T

I have a cheap doorbell fitted with the push button in the house so the Management can call me without coming in to get me!
Philly

Back