The Ideal Workshop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi ladies and gents
When your shop is about 300' from the house its nice to have a bathroom (no hot water) for those times when-----
Also a microwave when you forget and the coffee gets cold. (not that I every forget. I just can'at remember when I want to) :D

Travis

Noel / Chris,

This is the hideout i build for my teenage sons (now 20 and 18 ) You don't want those hanging about in your house when the whole gang of friends is visiting.

This cabin is split level, one part is 1.50 meter deep into the ground fully lined against ground water, and no i didn't needed planing permission, but I tell you the neighbors weren't all that pleased, so I had a council person checking if it was within regulation (did fill in a householders enquiry form though) and everything was fine

So at one level it the pool room, and above it is the computer/office part, the other part is the lounge area (which you can see in the picture,

This one I build when i was inbetween jobs, (took me about two weeks from start till finish, but then again this is the third cabin I build the first one was 3 * 4 meter and 2 meter high the second was 30 * 20 meters and 4 meters heigh (maximum allowed) and this one is 4 * 6 meters and 3 meters heigh

2161_21903716_IMG_07_t.jpg

Great job and makes sense regarding teenagers.

Noel

Pete
I don't have a layout, but I'll try and take a pic or two for you. Believe me, you don't want to use it as a model!
I know that my workshop is quite large by many people's standards, but it's still nowhere near big enough. I'd like an assembly area, and a finishing area. I'd like to be able to do my veneering indoors instead of on the patio. I'd like to be able to walk fron one end to the other without snagging the part of my T-shirt which covers my fat belly on the end of my bandsaw fence. I'd like to be able to get to my SM without having to roll away my router table first. I'd like to be able to have my bench where I could get all the way round it. I'd like the Middle East to be friends. I'd like Santa to be real. I'd like it if my wife didn't have MS. I'd like to be 10st again. I'd like a job. I'd like....

Shut up Steve, you're rambling again.
S

Alf
No good if the 'phone line's in use in the house though. On the other hand I suppose you could pick up the dismembered digit and text with it...

If I'm quietly bleeding to death I think my first call might be to the emergency services :D :shock:

Frank
very nice tim but i cant see the car
- I'm clearly having a properly thick day - took me ages that one!! :oops: :? :lol:

McLuma
Is your siding on your cabin T&G or Shiplap, cannot see it al that clear
neither its featheredge boarding.

Espedair Street
And no-one's mentioned the cat either. (or dog, if that's your preference)

It_was_meant_for_tools.jpg

Taken a few months back so not staged and accordingly no chance for a drive by... but I hope you are all impressed with my (tap,tap,tap) safety glasses. :lol: :lol:

Cheers

Tim

tim":2ot77w9v said:
Alf
No good if the 'phone line's in use in the house though. On the other hand I suppose you could pick up the dismembered digit and text with it...

If I'm quietly bleeding to death I think my first call might be to the emergency services :D :shock:
Softy. :p :lol:

tim":2ot77w9v said:
but I hope you are all impressed with my (tap,tap,tap) safety glasses. :lol: :lol:
Only if they're (tap, tap) on your face :p

Cheers, Alf

Veering back on topic briefly if I may, I usually have quite a few pieces to finish (i.e. oil/varnish), but not a lot of surfaces to put them on. Consequently I tend to leave finishing til last thing in the day, empty and clear all my surfaces, lay out the boards and leave them overnight.
What I need is some sort of rack system to increase my surfaces - perhaps some large dowels that I could slot into holes up the legs of my benches. This way I can have stuff drying, and then still be able to work on the next task.
Of course, a finishing room would help, but I can't see that happening any time soon...

What I need is some sort of rack system to increase my surfaces - perhaps some large dowels that I could slot into holes up the legs of my benches. This way I can have stuff drying, and then still be able to work on the next task.

As long as you don't need to use your bench. Good thinking though - I hadn't considered that as possibility.

If I have a project involving lots of surfaces needing painting or finishing I use adjustable shelf standards screwed to the wall - with the removable shelf arms. I have several different lengths for different widths of boards and can store about 50 of them in a large shoe box. The standards themselves don't take up much space when not used although it does prevent other things being permanently fixed on that wall.

T

Can my workshop include curtains and somewhere to hang me suit jacket, a couple of apprentices to do the heavy work and .......... sorry dreaming again :roll:

Bean

Back