The Ideal Workshop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a cheap doorbell fitted with the push button in the house so the Management can call me without coming in to get me!
Philly

The only prob with that is that you need to be collapsed by the doorbell and also able to push it with your elbow stump (see thread on dado guard) :lol:

I just keep my mobile in my backpocket and hope that I have at least one hand availablle to use it :shock:
T

I just get a bang on the wall when dinners ready, have learnt the hard way it pays to not ignore it :oops:

My ideals would be space, about 10M x 10M should be a good start, oh how i miss the space of my old rented workshop

seperate area for finishing and supping :wink:

Wooden flooring, well dont have to be wood just as long as its not concrete

Insulation and heat, I have an oil filled rad hung high on one wall, never gets realy warm but I can work out there all year round in just a t-shirt and jeans

Signal

Alf":24gxlbjr said:
Taffy Turner":24gxlbjr said:
a door which can be locked from the INSIDE to ensure that we are not disturbed (for safety reasons only you understand :? )
Hmm, not my idea of fun should I be lying on the floor quietly bleeding to death... :? So I'd add in some form of communications system to summon help if required.

Cheers, Alf

Picture the scene...

Taffy is happily turning away, :) Trend Airshield on, so between the noise from the lathe and the Airshield, he can't hear much. Taffy's SWMBO wants to tell him that dinner is ready, but can't get him to hear, :x so politely taps him on shoulder. :shock: Taffy (who is concentrating very hard on hollowing a bowl) jumps about a foot in the air, causing the bowl gouge to catch in a spectacular manner, bowl departs chuck at light speed, narrowly missing Taffy and his SWMBO. :evil: Taffy takes 15 mins before his heart rate is even approching normality....... There then followed a long discussion about the merits of not making me jump when I am turning..... :roll:

I am still in the doghouse now!!!! :(

I have a panic button on the alarm that i fitted in the workshop,

And yes I am jumpy to.

Why is that we man are more jumpy :?:

And the strange part is ... its always my fault, the misses is never in the wrong. Like its not my fault if you can't hear me. or well you have the radio so lout, or your tools make so much noise :twisted:

Well this is interesting. We seem to be splitting into two camps:

The first seems to want things like space, light, heat, security, fully fitted water/air/dust extraction etc.
The second seems to want biccies, tea/coffee and comfy chairs as a priority.

A very useful insight into what different members of UKW get up to in their "workshops" :wink: :D

Aragorn,

I agree - evrytime I have a cuppa in teh workshop, it either ends up going cold or there is a light film of wood dust on the top! Biccies - well they just seem to end up vibrating off the nearest surface into the gaping jaws of one of my black, hairy binliners (labradors)

So drinks and biscuits are snatched down in the house before returning to the 'work'shop.

Cheers

Tim

tim":16jpbc8v said:
Hmm, not my idea of fun should I be lying on the floor quietly bleeding to death... So I'd add in some form of communications system to summon help if required.

Not wanting to mix and match off-topic and on-topic threads but I think what you are referring to is a mobile :wink: :D :lol:
No good if the 'phone line's in use in the house though. On the other hand I suppose you could pick up the dismembered digit and text with it... :roll: :lol:

Taffy, yeah, I know. It happened to me just the other day when my dad came up behind me while I was working at the drill press. Darn near sanded my finger tip off... :shock:

Cheers, Alf

Its like programming, the quality of the program or workpiece is proportional to the amount of tea and biccies consumed during the making. Simple 8)

Bean

Not entirely, sometimes i can get so into it, that i forget about the COFFEE and KOEKIES. :lol:

Or if the the misses is out, there is no COFFEE at all :evil:

Or a cordless.

naaaaaa... given the RH in Alf's shop, syrup tins and damp string...

As for jumpiness.... <glancing at the blood blister on the tip o my cranny..>.. lets not go there shall we..???

was with a shoulder plane too... sheshhh

Big and warm for me. I like all powered tools to hand and already plugged in!

Comes form using a cold and damp garage for 17 years which housed a car when tools were not in use (rough area) - kind of dissensitive to go down there if you have to do the following EVERY time you want to play

Unlock side to gain access to locks on main door
remove car
Close and lock large door
Lift tablesaw from hooks in the roof :?
possibly get stand for P/T down and lift???? P/T on to it's base
Fold bench down from wall and install loose legs
get tools and do work
Fold bench back
Put tablesaw back on ceiling hooks (if still able)
unlock garage
put car back in
lock bloody garage :?

SPACE rules! No car in present, warm garage, but it could do with being a bit bigger :wink:

Steve Maskery":22zead23 said:
Size.
My workshop is about 28' long IIRC. Tandem garage. But it's only about 10' wide at its narrowest, which is a bit of a pain. I'm forever moving the PT to give me clearance for the saw, then having to move it again to get to the other end of the workshop.
One feature which I didn't design but just happened - I have a high ceiling, because the upstairs is in line with the upstairs of the house, but the garage is lower than the house by about a foot. It makes turning long lengths over easy without bashing the lights.
If I was starting again from scratch I'd sacrifice a few inches of height by putting in an insulated board floor - mine is plain concrete.

Cheers
Steve

10 feet wide! :shock: I wish my tandem garage was 10 feet wide! :( It's also got a low ceiling. I've no idea how you're supposed to get out of the car once you've put it in there, not that I've ever even considered such a daft idea :roll:

On a more serious note Steve, do you have a plan or piccies of the layout of your garage? Mine's not right, but I'm really not sure what "right" is, so another person's ideas might give me inspiration. I've a feeling there's too much stuff in there, but I'm not sure which "stuff" to get rid of.

Even though the ceiling is so low I've put in a wooden floor at one end as it's so much more comfortable to be on when working - it just needs extending further down the garage.

Cheers,

Pete

I think it would be churlish at this point not to mention the merits of a porch 8)

DSCF0008.jpg

Perfect for cold beer after a long day, without losing shop space. Everyone should have one :D

T

very nice tim but i cant see the car . i see you have a garden heater to keep the flowers warm :? :wink: :wink:

or more important easy acces from and to the home, even wenn its dark

decking3.jpg

Oh eeh sorry the Chrismass decs are still on it :oops:

So, what's inside these places?

Noel

ok, no-one's mentioned squillions of power points, in the walls, in the floors, hanging from the ceiling, and strapped to the back of the cat.

And no-one's mentioned the cat either. (or dog, if that's your preference)

Bean":3fvvcbi7 said:
Its like programming, the quality of the program <snip> is proportional to the amount of tea and biccies consumed during the making.

Nah, quality programming comes after 2 or 3 pints of strong beer on a Friday lunchtime. Trouble is, when you look at the code again on Monday, you have no idea how or why it works. But it always does. (or it does for me :D)

Back