The horizontal tissue box

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
I have finally come to the conclusion that the upright box has got to have horizontal stripes and with that reverse mitred corner. Should finish in time to close up my season.

devonwoody":2magby44 said:
I have finally come to the conclusion that the upright box has got to have horizontal stripes and with that reverse mitred corner. Should finish in time to close up my season.

Does tissueboxing have a closed season, like pheasant shooting?

marcros":31ndcrv8 said:
devonwoody":31ndcrv8 said:

Does tissueboxing have a closed season, like pheasant shooting?

For me it does, my WS is too cold, draughty and damp if the Autumn/Winter weather starts closing in shortly.

John,
Following on from the curves and laminations message maybe time to look at inlays....metal, wood, patterned wood, pictures of birds, plants or even jewellery all on a black or dark brown lacquered / japanned background or something.

I'm guessing you could start a tissue box competition next year during open season.

Good luck
Alan

No skills":27jax5m7 said:
Think we might have to have a whip round so DW can get his workshop insulated :)

The workshop has an asbestos roof which needs removing and the large door lintels are timber and rotten, so the lowest quote I have had is £2600 and thats is without insulation to the whole area. etc.etc.etc. I need a rest at the end of the summer to be honest, and earlier in our retirement we used to go to warmer climes, so its a no no regarding changes to workshop (double garage)

Chas. your turned boxes were lovely, Janet liked them as well, so I might build a small wooden shed (well insulated in the garden) for a turning shop and I could imagine having some round tissue boxes with other attributes added to their use besides tissues for the ladies. Perhaps I could send you an idea and you might take up the project?

Alan (beech) Your suggestions remind me of the thread posted by Ian (box for a future King), I doubt if I could reach that excellance.

Todays showing of horizontal tissue box.

These timbers, black walnut, maple, purple heart, steamed beech were laying loose on my table top so they have been selected for this project.

1.jpg

After about an hours maching I prepared them to 12.5mm x 9mm thicknesses.

2.jpg

This morning I am very pleased with yesterdays output, I have four pieces to size ready for carcass .

3.jpg

Hopefully I can return to box over the weekend and complete with corner laminations colour matched, we shall see.

£2600.. Hmm, perhaps beyond the reaches of secret santa :)

I must say I'm quite tempted to make a box or two for xmas pressies this year, wouldnt of considered it without seeing your build threads.

Keep up the good work =D>

Back to the WS today.

This for those that have not seen my reverse mitre joint is what I attempt to do.

4.jpg

5.jpg

So I am making up a corner piece to match carcass at ends. ( I should have made the carcass sides oversized and then I could have cut the length already made up)

6.jpg

I put them through the thicknesser after the glue up the long direction (against the grain, what the heck, and it worked) and got flat gluing surfaces.

7.jpg

Started the corner glue up doing the Titebond 3 and superglue combination (to get a holding grip)

8.jpg

When sufficient hold stood on flat surface to set and go back each hour and then do another corner.

9.jpg

Should finish the carcass glue up tomorrow.

Things were delayed yesterday afternoon, a neighbour needed assistance putting together one of those flat packs, 21 stages on that one. phew.

So consequently I glued up later in the evening in the kitchen, the trouble and strife was watching TV.

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

However one of the corners has slid slightly so the colour line is broken, but you cannot see four corners at the same time so I'm not fussed.

The fourth side I have dry fitted and it is so sweet it would stay in place without glue perhaps.

Glued in the final side of carcass.

14.jpg

When glue had dried I trimmed off the corner using the bandsaw, however I was frightened to go too close and finished using a Japanese saw without a kerf, hard graft but a reasonable clean cut which will then sand down.

15.jpg

16.jpg

Going to attempt horizontal banding on top where the tissue aperture goes.

Tidied up the corners. (pity about the misaligned corner that slipped)

17.jpg

Started a lid portion.

18.jpg

It went together very quickly and accurately.

19.jpg

Fitted it to the top of carcass, there are a couple of imperfections (see packing out) and if they don't work out on the sanding I will have to decorate with some mouldings.

20.jpg

21.jpg

The box is finished, even sanded to 600 in an effort to improve. Regret to state there are some imperfections on the making of this box, but it was the pattern I was trying to achieve and it was built on the hoof so to speak.

I expect to shut down the WS now until next Spring, I am feeling exhausted, there were around 30 boxes made since May plus three pieces of furniture so I reckon I am due for some TLC and relaxation.

Thanks for watching and all your encouragement.

Hi DW,
Many thanks for posting this...I really enjoy your contributions, keep them coming.
Look forward to your WS opening next year......
John

woodshavings":3buk5b1g said:
Hi DW,
Many thanks for posting this...I really enjoy your contributions, keep them coming.
Look forward to your WS opening next year......
John

Thanks you for yopur post and kind comments.

I am feeling withdrawal symptoms already :wink:

But thinking about next Spring and might have to gather some stock, I am going to suggest to our three daughters they might like a nightstand a piece, not the one nighter tho. the wooden version. I need a change from the TSB's

Back