The Grammar Thread

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
People accused of some sort of misdemeanour, or worse who then say they refute the accusation. They don't refute it, whatever it is they're accused of, unless they offer something that proves they didn't do it, weren't their, etc. Without presenting credible evidence showing they couldn't have done it, been there, etc, they're merely denying the accusation, not refuting it.

It seems to me many accused people (implied, etc by others) prefer nowadays to 'refute' rather than simply 'deny'. Slainte.

That's an example of word stretching, Richards. To deny provides in implication of you just saying "I didn't do it" with no proof, so the connotation comes along with some presumption of guilt.

To deny and claim you're refuting sounds better. Stretch use of the word to somewhere that it doesn't belong.

The odd slip doesn't bother me enormously - certainly not enough to correct someone unless they've somehow deserved it. As long as the meaning is clear everything is OK.

Also I know that I quite often have weird typos in my posts if I've used my tablet - it has rather over-enthusiastic afro courgette.
Grow them on my lottie 👍

when my daughter hit her head I said to her; there their they're
F9EB4764-E2FC-4D03-B82A-CDC9BF530A21.jpeg

Back