The Grammar Thread

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grammar in my house is a nightmare. SWMBO is a fully accredited CIEP proofreader and editor and English teacher, me, I just think that I'm a pedant, she normally points out I'm just a peasant cow-orker

The Holland and Anderson sign was finished, but Mr Holland asked for changes to the spacing between Holl and and and and and and and and and and and and derson.
My old dad used to tell me that one when I was a kid 60 years ago (except it was ‘Welland and Anderson’). I regularly amused(?) my kids with it in turn.

Yebbut not difficult to work out what coworker means; after all how many cow-orkers do you bump into on a daily basis?
Not many! What caused my initial 'wonder' was that when reading it, :unsure: ;) 'cow-' was the last word on a line, & 'orker' started the next!

And just in case anybody doesn’t know. I’m (fairly sure) it means to be blown up by your own pipe bomb. They were laid against doorways quite often. Ian

Yes indeed, 16th century fuse cords were fairly unreliable and a grenadier was quite likely to be blown up by their own device 'petard', I assume much to the amusement of the defending forces.

God I am the last person to be criticising anyone for poor grammar or spelling but I do sometimes see posts where I really do have to work hard at trying to understand what the person is saying, and given that were trying to “communicate” surely thats a serious issue.

The odd slip doesn't bother me enormously - certainly not enough to correct someone unless they've somehow deserved it. As long as the meaning is clear everything is OK.

Also I know that I quite often have weird typos in my posts if I've used my tablet - it has rather over-enthusiastic afro courgette.

West Country English - Wikipedia

As Lt-Col. J. A. Garton observed in 1971,[10] traditional Somerset English has a venerable and respectable origin, and is not a mere "debasement" of Standard English:

The dialect is not, as some people suppose, English spoken in a slovenly and ignorant way. It is the remains of a language—the court language of King Alfred. Many words, thought to be wrongly pronounced by the countryman, are actually correct, and it is the accepted pronunciation which is wrong. English pronounces W-A-R-M worm, and W-O-R-M wyrm; in the dialect W-A-R-M is pronounced as it is spelt, Anglo-Saxon W-E-A-R-M. The Anglo-Saxon for worm is W-Y-R-M. Polite English pronounces W-A-S-P wosp; the Anglo-Saxon word is W-O-P-S and a Somerset man still says WOPSE. The verb To Be is used in the old form, I be, Thee bist, He be, We be, Thee 'rt, They be. 'Had I known I wouldn't have gone', is 'If I'd a-know'd I 'ooden never a-went'; 'A' is the old way of denoting the past participle, and went is from the verb to wend (Anglo-Saxon wendan).

Last edited:
Here is one for you all. Why is it that when asked a question everyone now starts the reply with "So"

Here is one for you all. Why is it that when asked a question everyone now starts the reply with "So"
Unless it’s a politician then they always start with “look”. It just informs me that the politician is about to spout nonsenses.

The “So” is I think a result of the increase in words per minute used by younger people today. They tend to start talking before the previous person has finished the entire question. A drawn out “So” gives the answerer time to process the rest of the question while still appearing to be on the ball.

Yes indeed, 16th century fuse cords were fairly unreliable and a grenadier was quite likely to be blown up by their own device 'petard', I assume much to the amusement of the defending forces.
The phrase "Hoist with his own petard" is from Hamlet, so yet another one down to Shakespeare.

Interestingly, whilst a "petard" means a small explosive device in several European languages (including English), the etymological roots are from the French "pétard " which translates as "to break wind" (i.e. f*rt). So really very appropriate.

Back