The good, the bad, the...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

condeesteso

Established Member
Reaction score
I am putting this in General Woodworking as that is what I want it to be about. BUT I am directly aware that a number of forum users are becoming frustrated (again) by the argumentative nature of a very small number of forum members. I am here to learn, share what I know, ask when stuck. Most others are, and that makes UKW a very useful community.
I have recently witnessed potentially interesting threads die very shortly after birth, and I have noticed some of the most valued contributors going rather quiet of late.

Is this a community where like-minded share, learn, teach, give, take? If so, the majority must re-take the high ground and lead this forum back to where it belongs.

I've only been here about 8 months, and I have made real friends, I have learned a lot, and I've maybe given a bit back. But the negative bickering is in danger of driving the worth out of UKW, and in turn driving the worthwhile from this valuable community.

Name names and be clear about what makes folk unhappy. We all have a lot to learn do we not?

I enjoy the mix of people on here and find the forums to be both informative and amusing in equal amounts.

I'm affraid the rise of the troll is now a growing theme in all kinds of forums not just here. I've seen them kill a couple of really great forums in the last few years, it's a shame but just part of online life these days.

The good the bad and the Grim wind em up and watch em go. Direct and indirect reason for creation of other places.

You'll find 'irritants' on pretty much every Forum, hell, I may even be considered one of them by many on here with my 'flippant' attitude.
Just as you'd limit your time and energy with them IRL so you must here. Read what you want to read, converse with those you wish to and ignore what doesn't interest you. It's the only way really, you can't ban/censor everyone that everyone doesn't gel with, you'd have no Forum.

If you don't like it don't feel obliged to stay - you could always go to the a different place site where the timid and feeble minded do generally seem to end up! Here's a link http://thewoodhaven.co.uk/ why not do it today? :lol: :lol:

Just ignore the stuff you don't like, and read what interests you. yes, if you have strong feelings about something, then express them That's what a Forum is all about. Free speech. (Although these days, there is so much PC around, in life in general, it's difficult to say what you feel without 'offending' someone.)

I must be feeble-minded though, as I also visit the a different place site occasionally. The member list is almost identical anyhow! Variety is the spice and all that; and all roads lead to Shangri-la maybe?

If someone pineapples you off, shut down and get into the shop. 8)

John

Benchwayze":34o4tdj9 said:
J

I must be feeble-minded though, as I also visit the a different place site occasionally.

John
...and what's interesting on the Haven is that Tom has banned any sort of troll...one name in particular springs to mind :roll: and the place is the more civilized for it, there's certainly a very different atmosphere - Rob

This is all a bit infantile.
I noticed that Gill locked an unpleasant personal attack thread which resembled this one but was launched by Rob himself!!!
Well done Gill.
I thought you had left us anyway Rob - make your mind up! So much dithering and wittering!

At risk of poking a hornet's nest I have noticed a distinct change in the nature of 'the troll's output in the last month or two, less confrontational and more informative. It's a lot more valuable to a learner/novice like me, [not that that should make any difference], and I have a lot more respect for him these days. Just my opinion.

Hmmm, just pipped to the 'post' as it were, but I'll let it stand.

its a forum you will get different opinions you can always choose to ignore people ,what winds me up more is when people enter a disscusion then when there asked a direct question they choose to ignore it just becuase its not going thier way.
If this post is ment tobe a personal dig at Jacob then thats an out of order personal attack (although i'm sure he is big and ugly enough to not care), i would bet Jacob would come very high on a list if you asked who you would want good advice from.

nobody should try and hound anyone out of here

all in MHO.

monkeybiter":1ilxsvyw said:
At risk of poking a hornet's nest I have noticed a distinct change in the nature of 'the troll's output in the last month or two, less confrontational and more informative. It's a lot more valuable to a learner/novice like me, [not that that should make any difference], and I have a lot more respect for him these days. Just my opinion.

Hmmm, just pipped to the 'post' as it were, but I'll let it stand.
Thanks for that but I don't think I'm posting anything differently.
Trying to be informative often becomes confrontational as there are some very fixed notions going about - particularly amongst those who don't do a lot of woodwork but spend a lot of time worshiping the gurus and reading the holy books, catalogues and magazines!

Jacob":3tt0ub6x said:
Trying to be informative often becomes confrontational as there are some very fixed notions going about - particularly amongst those who don't do a lot of woodwork but spend a lot of time worshiping the gurus and reading the holy books, catalogues and magazines!
and those who just can't resist making snide comments instead of answering the question.

clk230":8osff2jg said:
... i would bet Jacob would come very high on a list if you asked who you would want good advice from.
Not in this world! :lol: - Rob

As has been stated by others and proven time and time again, Jacob/Mr Grimsdale and bunch of other aliases over the years is a classic wind up merchant. He gets his kicks dropping verbal bombs and watching the fallout. He is a step above a std troll in that he is a experienced woodworker in the style of the mid 19th century journeyman. He may or may not believe what he preaches but has the knowledge to win arguments with a combative style.

It is rarely his knowledge that annoys but his discursive style representing anyone who disagrees with him as a stupid amateur or a sucker for swallowing the spin of a jig maker/seller.

Jacob is drawn to this forum despite being banned and leaving voluntarily on several occasions, his style on Woodwork UK (a forum for making windows) is less antagonistic, mainly due to the other posters on there will tell him to go forth and multiply if he tried the same tactics.

I find Jacob quite amusing on occasion and certainly knowledgeable in a primitive sort of way but will not engage in his obvious fishing trips to try and hook a victim. If you ignore the digs and only respond to sensible conversation and advice Jacob will either go away and look for entertainment elsewhere or change his style. Remember all behaviour is learned!

cutting42":z7yze20p said:
As has been stated by others and proven time and time again, Jacob/Mr Grimsdale and bunch of other aliases over the years is a classic wind up merchant. He gets his kicks dropping verbal bombs and watching the fallout. He is a step above a std troll in that he is a experienced woodworker in the style of the mid 19th century journeyman. He may or may not believe what he preaches but has the knowledge to win arguments with a combative style.

It is rarely his knowledge that annoys but his discursive style representing anyone who disagrees with him as a stupid amateur or a sucker for swallowing the spin of a jig maker/seller.

Jacob is drawn to this forum despite being banned and leaving voluntarily on several occasions, his style on Woodwork UK (a forum for making windows) is less antagonistic, mainly due to the other posters on there will tell him to go forth and multiply if he tried the same tactics.

I find Jacob quite amusing on occasion and certainly knowledgeable in a primitive sort of way but will not engage in his obvious fishing trips to try and hook a victim. If you ignore the digs and only respond to sensible conversation and advice Jacob will either go away and look for entertainment elsewhere or change his style. Remember all behaviour is learned!
What a load of pathetic tosh. This thread and this post are all digs at me. I'd far rather talk about woodwork and if you can be bothered to read my posts you will find that that is what I do all the time except when called upon by gangs of twerps and trolls to threads or attacks like this one. I certainly don't "embark on fishing trips"!
As far as I can see this whole thread is due to somebody being offended because I'm not impressed by a particular chisel handle shape! How childish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back