The firewood pile shrinks again. (critique??)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gus3049

Established Member
Reaction score
After the bowl and the wall hanging both sold to the first people that saw them, I thought maybe this old rubbish bit of wood wasn't so rubbish after all.

The bandsaw offcut from the bowl had been sitting on top of the woodpile for a few weeks but spoke to me when I saw the cash beckoning.

So here is a piece of sculpture with all of three small turned pieces included. As its arty farty I though I'd better name it so its 'red shift' for obvious reasons.

Comments welcome as always.

Attachments

• 100_3667.jpg
    100_3667.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 946
  • 100_3666.jpg
    100_3666.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 946
Very inventive what a good idea for all those off cuts I think you should have called it suspended Gstring LOL :lol: :lol: =D> =D>

Red Shift? its not that bad :wink:

for my tastes i think the turned parts are a little incongruous (now there's a big word!) I think maybe stiff wires or maybe even thin brass rod would be more ....completing(?)

That said I bet it gets snapped up at the next sale =D>

nev":1876gitv said:

for my tastes i think the turned parts are a little incongruous (now there's a big word!) I think maybe stiff wires or maybe even thin brass rod would be more ....completing(?)

Thanks Nev,

I agree that wires might have been a good idea but I think of myself as a turner these days and felt that I had to include a bit. I intended to make them more 'industrial' looking but somehow lost the plot :?

I never cease to amaze at the ingenuity ( I just used that word in another post what's good once is good twice :) )of some people. Its very eye catching.

nev":3sor2hhg said:

I feel a bit happier with the supports now they have 'knobs on'. 'spose they are used to tighten the non existent screws to stretch the middle bit.

Strange how the camera picks up the gilding on the centre section so much. In the flesh, it just highlights the centre but leaves it quite dark blue :?

Attachments

• 100_3672.jpg
    100_3672.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 823
interesting piece

you need a clean background with only the turned article to focus upon,the wall/texture forms a part of the piece as is

Harlequin":30ktbyeo said:
interesting piece

you need a clean background with only the turned article to focus upon,the wall/texture forms a part of the piece as is

Yup I know! Photos are not exactly my forte. I always meant to sort it out but as I only take shots for gallery lists now and no longer sell direct, it got put back a bit. I may have another look when I get the chance but apparently my wife thinks that actually having ceilings in the bedrooms is a good idea.

Jonzjob":30ktbyeo said:
I'm sorry to have to say this Gordon, but!!!!!! I really like that :mrgreen: The frame? Elm? And pray tell, what is the 'net'? Is that turned and carved?

It looks really good and well worthy of you! Well spotted mate..
Sorry John, I had no idea that I would upset you again. I'll try and do something you hate this week, that'll cheer you up.

The wood is basically blonde but there is so much staining, rot and mess all over it, its pretty hard to recognise. The net IS elm. Just because I had a piece left over of about the right size. Just put through the thicknesser, shaped on the bandsaw and then pierced with my favourite air tool. So its in the turning section only because of the 'hangers' and their associated knobs!

Back