The Eagle Has Landed!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
condeesteso":1cfb3arm said:
very nice axe Scouse! If you need a nice bit of oily ash for it, let me know.
That link is excellent too - the leather pouch is a nice finishing touch.
I did the tru-oil trick on mine today... did I mention I got one for a birthday pressie - an Eagle, nice. But it wasn't finished :lol: so I had to oil the handle.
The only real issue I have with tru-oil is it's a bit addictive... oh, just one more coat then. I am considering doing a bench-top with it - it seems super-hard when dry, and with 0000 steel wool can be matted back easily.

Glad you liked your birthday present Douglas! I didn't put the finish on it as I knew you were playing with the Tru-Oil and since this is an ideal candidate...I thought you would enjoy finishing it off.

Tru-Oil would ideal for benches....it hardens off very well as you know...but the best thing of all...any damage or abrasion...you can just add another layer and it will burn in leaving no evidence of the damage.

Always assuming the damage is not caused by testing your new present! It is a bit sharp! :mrgreen:

Jim

phil.p":1lrylaqo said:
:wink: Jim - I assume you tended to trawl the forum, rather than troll the forum.
Sorry to be so pedantic - I can't help it.

Nah..I left a message telling him his axe sucked! :mrgreen:

Yup...I meant trawl! DOH! (homer)

I presume that's clearer!?

Jim

Hi CC - Jim is the expert on Tru-oil I think, and he introduced me to it. I don't understand the chemistry but it is polymerised, and a blend of linseed and others (they don't say which). I believe the polymerisation causes molecular 'bonding' during drying (like the way plastic molecules bind, maybe). Basically to me it goes on like an oil (I wipe it really thin and add layers if I want to) but finishes with much greater hardness, though I have no way of measuring that, it just seems super-hard and tough. Worth a try on the bench top I reckon as a little goes a very long way and as Jim says, dead easy to re-finish anytime later. Worth bearing in mind it is costlier than most oils (linseed, tung etc) at about £10 for 8fl oz, but that bottle is going to last me ages, even doing the odd bench.
by the way, one of the very first polymers was bakelite (I looked it up :wink: )

Yes...as Douglas correctly states...it is a polymerised linseed oil which was made to use on gunstocks. The combination of toughness and waterproof protection makes it ideal in this application.

It is in fact a varnish not an oil...and I use is on light coloured guitar necks where there is a fair amount of abrasion. The fact that it can be rejuvenated makes it ideal. There are some boutique guitar makers who use it on the bodies too. I tend to use nitro for this but I did do one guitar with it and it took weeks of layering and cutting back and flattening...

Of all the guitars and tools I have used it on...I have only used two tiny bottles...and one is still virtually full!

The technique for application is to wipe on with make-up removal pads. The ones with cotton wool sandwiched between two lint free layers....

You should use bright angled light to see the surface. Wipe one row without stopping at one edge...then wipe the next row with about 25% overlap.

Keep going until you reach the other side and never go back over to "touch up" a missed bit. Simply leave it to dry...about 30 minutes and then key rub with wire wool...tack cloth off and then repeat.

The most beautiful thing about this stuff is it is really tactile...so if you are thinking about a finish for something you hold...like a guitar or a tool handle it is the nicest thing to use.

Cheers

Jim

phil.p":1ro1v1gs said:
I can find 32oz bottles listed at £1020 + pp! on Amazon. Seriously though, does it deteriorate with age? Obviously there's no point in buying a bottle that size if it does.

You only need a 3oz bottle...that will last ages...

CLICKITY CLICK

That is who I bought it from last time..superfast delivery and the cheapest

Cheers

Jim

condeesteso":v18b7hpe said:
Phil - well found, but bonkers price!
8Fl oz, about £10 here (sorry forgot how to do html neat links) - it'll last ages, and as far as I know it doesn't go off provided airtight and never frozen.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Birchwood-Cas ... 214wt_1121

Ah...yes...if you are finishing a bench then that is a great price...but 8oz would last me a few decades!

Jim

Back