The dreaded SKEW !!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Short medium or long bevel ?

• Short

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Medium

Votes: 11 50.0%
  • Long

Votes: 11 50.0%

• Total voters

Blister

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
For those that brave the dreaded :evil: SKEW :evil:

Out of curiosity I would be interested to know if your prefer :-

1 a short bevel

2 A medium bevel

3 A long bevel

I have put this a a poll just to see who favors what and why they prefer that bevel length :mrgreen:

Really depends on what I'm doing: long bevel is fine for planing cuts eg. smoothing cylinders, but for stuff like beads, I find a shorter bevel easier to control. If too short though, it loses versatility, and therefore one of the skew's chief strengths.

Sawyer":u4cxkpzu said:
Really depends on what I'm doing: long bevel is fine for planing cuts eg. smoothing cylinders, but for stuff like beads, I find a shorter bevel easier to control. If too short though, it loses versatility, and therefore one of the skew's chief strengths.

I'm with Sawyer - differing bevels for different jobs - I think I have got about 9 different skews some square section, some oval, some with straight edge, some curved etc etc.

Rog

it's a great question, but as Sawyer sets out there's not really one answer.

the same would apply if you added 'how wide do you like your skew?', and also 'do you prefer square, rounded or oval edges?'

horses for courses

generally I prefer square, heavy, medium bevel 25 degrees (slight curve to profile) as my go to skew; then as the need for smaller access and higher profile I shift to a smaller lighter.

if I could start again I would retain my big and brutal (but I use it for pens if that makes sense), switch my 3/4 oval to a rounded and add a quality 10mm oval shorter bevel....then there's round skews.

the only issue I have with the question is that when you make the stock thinner the bevel appears to get 'smaller' even with the same angle, and generally smaller skews have thinner stock.

What do people think of round skews? I've never tried one, but it seems to me that they'd be great for beads. If so, I quite fancy getting one.

Long bevel for me, though I'm sure you can get used to anything. I sharpen on a diamond stone and the long bevel lies down flat on the stone very easily. And the keener edge can go further into the wood without a thick bevel getting in the way.

Terry

I use the bevel that is ground on the tools that I have. I've no idea if they are long, short or medium as I've never compared them to any other tools.

I've just recently reground my cheapo 1" skew to a longer bevel [whicher sould probably be classed as medium] and all of a sudden it's become usefull beyond being a straight edge scraper. I've left the 5/8" as is for finer details.

I have different bevels on each side of my skew. I still have no idea how I manage to sharpen it that way, but I find it easy to use in either direction, so I don't worry about it.

Sawyer":10rq2mrp said:
What do people think of round skews? I've never tried one, but it seems to me that they'd be great for beads. If so, I quite fancy getting one.
I like a round skew especially for beads. Cheap to make yourself. I made one after watching the Gary Rance DVD and he uses one all the time and does some fast quality work with it. There is a video on his website showing it in action.http://www.garyrance.co.uk/
Regards Keith

I have a rectangular skew, an oval skew and a homemade round skew (as mentioned, easy to make). For the first two, I`ve just maintained, more or less, the bevels that they came with. When I made the round skew, I copied the bevel on the other two.
I don`t know if they would count as short, medium or long, :? but I`m going to cast my vote for medium, as an educated guess.

Ian

Here is 2 skwew chislels that I use. As you can see they have developed a curve and and a sprur which is fine for the type of stuff that I do which is mainly ovals and round work and almost mass producing. Learning the skew is one the best turning instruments that you can learn as itb speeds up the production process no end and you get an amazing quality finish, line and shape. Get good on those skews and you will never look back.

Attachments

• 2 skew chisels.jpg
    2 skew chisels.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 595
gnu":2xf0ak9k said:
Here is 2 skwew chislels that I use. As you can see they have developed a curve and and a sprur which is fine for the type of stuff that I do which is mainly ovals and round work and almost mass producing. Learning the skew is one the best turning instruments that you can learn as itb speeds up the production process no end and you get an amazing quality finish, line and shape. Get good on those skews and you will never look back.

Wow, that's ...... ummm... unconventional??

They obviously work for you, it's just a shape I've never come across before. I totally agree that learning to use the skew is one of the best things you can do, it's speed and quality of finish is just amazing.

Seeing as you are almost at mass production rates, do you also rough out with the skew? My woodturning tutor swore that it was the fastest and most productive way. I do it some times, but must admit that I'm happier roughing out with the traditional roughing out gouge.

Cheers
Aled

Jonzjob":145mtq40 said:
Even on the French ply wood pen (I wish that I could find some 1/2 decient ply here?)
You too, John? Wish I could find nice birch ply.
Prices are astronomical too! I wanted to make up a recent cabinet in 22mm blockboard, but at 70 Euros a sheet, I had to think again....

John is that a Plywood pen #4 on your Photobucket album, if not is there a pic of one. I have only made vase's and bowls out of it so far.

Terry

Back