The deed is done so what will I do with the !!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boysie39

Established Member
Reaction score
Well folks I have taken the plunge and have on order the Hegner HM 1 .Delivery next week . Sooo! let the answers begin because I'm going to be asking lots of questions .
First of all Materials !! would I be right in thinking that plywood is the main material that I would be using .As a complete starter offer I imagine that it will be a while before I would be using natural timber.
If I were to order a 8" x 4" x 6mm sheet of ply what type of ply should I get or should that be Grade of ply ??. Also what would be the best sizes to have the sheet cut to .
I am sorry for asking questions but if I don't it will take me ages by trial and error ,not to mention a lot of quids and time is not on my side :roll: :roll: .

I look forward to any answers and advise I can get ,thanking you in advance.

Hi Eugene
a lot of you buy or use will depend on what you want to cut out, but as a complete beginner i would be tempted to buy ply or mdf and get used to the saw first, then when you have got the hang of how it behaves move on to better quality ply, like a birch-ply or even pine.

steve

Boysie, do you have Jewsons over there? The Wisa Twin stuff that some of the branches stock is pretty good stuff when I last looked and was quoted £18.90 for 9mm. Somebody on here had used it and said it was as good as birch ply so may be worth a look.I didnt get a price on 6mm unfortunately.

Hi,
I am not a great fan of ply, especially the cheaper sort - found that some of the layers have holes which always appear where I've cut. However as a learning material I reckon that ply and MDF are great as, although that seem to wear the blades quicker, they are consistent when cutting (timber, with the grain rays, can be a problem).
In the end I guess it depends on what you making, most patterns in the magazines seem seldom to mention either ply or MDF.
Good luck.
Bob H.

Great news Boysie =D>

I am pleased you decided to buy one , someone with your talent needs to keep a active mind

A 8fy x 4ft sheet of Birch Faced ply will last ages , my advice would be to have it cut into strips width ways but not wider that the throat depth of the Hegner Multicut 1 saw that is a 14″ throat

Also you need to ask what blade they will use to cut it for you , needs to be a 80 tooth ply blade if on a table saw or it will get ripped to pieces

Best have a variety of widths 4" 6" 8" 10" 12 " so you have a variety of sizes for different projects

Are you getting any reverse tooth saw blades with the deal ? like these

http://www.mikesworkshop.com/blades.htm

top 2 types of blades

Best for use with ply as you get little or no splintering / breakout on the top and bottom face of the ply

Mikes workshop has loads of plans projects and videos for the scroll saw user

http://www.mikesworkshop.com/

Did you keep you pillar drill ?

You may find one of these will help as well , I have one like it and it helps for fine detail

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rectangular-I ... 35bfe5c28d

These are just my recommendations ( But Who am I :| ) other opinions will vary

Let us know when it arrives :mrgreen:

Thanks for the advice from all.
Blister, the saw I bought is the Hegner Multicut SEV V/S 18" throat ,2"5/8 thickness cap., 17"5/8 x 9" cast iron table ,and lots more goodies that I know nothing about .Have just put the balaclava and gun back in hiding. :lol: :lol:
Bob H. There will be a lot of practice going on before I attempt the eiffle tower or anything like that so its ply and mdf for a time.

Marcros ,I can get sheets of birch for that price over here ,it's amazing what threats can do. :twisted: :lol:

Steve good to here from you ,I have lots of bits and pieces of ply and mdf lying about so will use up that first .

Blades are the next thing I need advice on .I reckon that the ones I get from Hegner will do for starters before I get into the big time .

Thanks all again all advice welcome.

Just to put prices in our little country into perspective ,The scroll saw which I have just bought from Hegner in Euros cost me 587 delivered .The same saw is on OFFER for 1296.07 euro over here. Am I lucky or am I lucky .

i know a lot of people use mikes blades on here but as an option the niqua blades that hegner sell are really good the reverse ones about 8 pound for three dozen you could have ordered some with you saw, if they not dispatched maybe you could add to the order ?
save on postage.
i got a hegner two years ago and the hegner blades with the machine are ok but you will notice a difference with the niqua or other blades

mark

That's very good advice, Mark, assuming that Eugene (who lives in Ireland, I believe) is buying from HegnerUK! Looking at the deal he's got, I suspect that might not be the case.

:)

Apologies definitely not necessary :) . Your advice is very good indeed. I was just making a point in case people who didn't know Eugene lives in Ireland came to this thread and got confused.

Blister":22zl36pz said:
Bloody hell :shock: 587 euros :shock: now THAT'S a deal :lol:

In the UK they are £832.00 :shock: -20% £666.00 plus delivery ,

http://www.technologysupplies.co.uk/Heg ... tion-Model

You also have Steve Goods site to look at http://scrollsawworkshop.blogspot.co.uk/ lots to see :wink:

Hmm a correction to the above the 587euros should in fact be £587 which is 735 euros so if anyone had a heart attack I am sorry :oops: :oops: . But still a great saving don't you think??
On another note , I read on here that the forum was or had become kind of redundant ,members did not seem to be using it as much as they should .It seems to me from a new members view that it is as active as any other forum that I have been associated with .Members may not post because someone else has said what they were going to post .In the short time that Ihave been on here I have had fantastic help by posts and PMs and Emails and by Phone. I don't see a problem in someone not saying something just for the sake of letting others know that he is reading posts .Just like me Blathering on here about what you all are aware of already.
I suppose what I am trying to say is thanks to all for your help and hope it will continue,and also for welcoming into your group

mac1012":3heq9a6e said:
i know a lot of people use mikes blades on here but as an option the niqua blades that hegner sell are really good the reverse ones about 8 pound for three dozen you could have ordered some with you saw, if they not dispatched maybe you could add to the order ?
save on postage.
i got a hegner two years ago and the hegner blades with the machine are ok but you will notice a difference with the niqua or other blades

mark

Mark ,took your advice and contacted Technology Supplies who are supplying the saw and ordered a truck load of blades (Niqua) for £22 . :lol: :lol:
This is great sport but expensive methinks I have now discovered that the saw is supplied without a foot start/stop which will cost me £74 Jeeze maybe the price in Ireland wasn't
so dear after all . :roll: :roll: . Delivery is not till next week so lots of time to get ready .

hats great you wont be dissapointed with the blades ! just to clarify where have you brought your saw in uk or ireland as seems to be a bit of confusion just wondered which was more expensive uk or ireland ? as gill seems to think youve got the saw in ireland

welcome to the forum i been ascroller for couple of years there is some pics of the craft work i sell on here if you look my designs are not intricate but i enjoy making and seklling them in my spare time

yeah you shelled out some money but you got a good machine there that will stand the test of time.

but the good thing is once you got the machine the ongoing cost can be kept down and you can actually start recouping some of your money by selling stuff all the machines i got have been paid out of money i made selling stuff and the hegner too

i not sure what materials you going to be using but i mainly use planed softwood from local timber merchants which is quite cheap and no drama if you make a mees of what you doing ! i also use russian ply 4mm , pine and some reclaimed pitch pine the first year i made 700 pounds just by selling stuff made out of planed soft wood and i only scrapped one piece and i sold my first piece two weeks after getting saw.

so you have chose an rewarding pastime even if you only make for your own pleasure the running costs are minimal and a great pastime for the long winter months !
yes you can chuck money at it but for first year all i had was the base model hegner and cheap 1/4 sheet sander and a cordless drill so it dosent have to keep getting expensive !

good luck and any advice give me a shout

mark

oh by the way sorry to mention this but have you ordered the quick relaese blade clamp ? not a necessity but i didnt get one for the first year but when i got it i wished id had from beginning ! sorry i know you spent a lot already but if you can find a another 25 quid at some stage it will be worth it

Oh Woe is Me, :oops: :oops: #-o #-o . In the beginning I ordered a Hegner Multicut 1 and after reading revues and from what I garnered from folk on here and other forums . I contacted Tech. Supplies and asked
them how much it would cost me to upgrade my order to a Variable Speed model (I had themulticut SEV/VS ) in mind .The Multicut 1 was costing me £329.27 .So when he came back and said it would cost me £140
extra I jumped at the offer.However it is not the big 18" throat SEV. V/S one but the 14" one with V/S .So it is costing me £469 for my HM 1-1V Multicut 1 V/S Scrollsaw.
But I'm happy with my lot as I can't see me making anything that it can not handle , so with extra blades and fast release it's costing £510 up to now :D .
Question !! do I need a foot switch @£74 and a magnifying lamp for the same money or should I creep for a while and see what happens . :roll: :roll: or should I get out the Baliclava again . :mrgreen:

Mods , could you transfer this to my post The deed is done what will I do with the !! Please
Mod Edit: Some awkward individuals around :roll:

Ach, you'll be fine with what you've got. I've managed all these years without a foot switch or magnifier.

Don't forget, the larger the workpiece the more difficult it is to cut because you end up standing (or sitting) further away from the machine as you manipulate your wood and that makes it more difficult to see if you're following the pattern line accurately. It's no bad thing having a machine with a modest throat depth.

But don't let that stop you from getting the balaclava out again anyway.

:mrgreen:

So please clarify for my own curiosity blister where have you ordered from the uk or ireland ? and as gill said i am the same no footswitch or maginfyer but at 79 pounds it is tempting ! and been asking myself would it improve anything for me ? im not sure , you be fine with 14 inch i used single speed for past two years thats not to say i wont upgrade at some stage for 18inch variable when i can afford it !

i suppose foot swith would be handy when you get a blade breakage or if you doing some intricate internal fret work and you want both hands ready on a delicate cut when machine starts but i dont do intricate work and i only had about three blade break in 2 year

See how you go first and then you can always get if you keep it up

looks like you got a good deal with the saw anyway and you will have the new flexi blower and quick relase tension handle at the back

that they had for past two years

mark

Back