The deed is done so what will I do with the !!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Allen ,and the Mod. I hate being a nuisance but then I think someone out there loves me so let them fixit . :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Gill ,thank you for your sound advise on saving me money I will hold off for a time and see what happens . Mind you the auld balaclava is getting pretty ragged at the present time .

Marc ,you really have helped me tremendously with my introduction to scrolling and have put me on the right track quite a lot ,thank you for that.
I live in Ireland , but I bought the machine from Hegners in UK. Technology Supplies are the people who act on their behalf and who I have been talking to.
It is costing about 40% less than what it would cost me in Ireland .

I have a workshop which is 28' x 12 ' which is made from galvanized steel and is a very cold place in winter and very hot in Summer , I also have a Boiler house which is 6 'x 6 ' and has the boiler one end and built from concrete blocks I intend to use this as my workshop with just the scroll saw and a small pillar drill inside .it has a loft which is reachable for storing timbers .Other machines are in the workshop next door .It means I can work quite comfortably in the winter months . What do you think ? Would it work ? Is ther any reason you can see that would stop me ? Your views appreciated Thank You.

Cant see any reason anything would stop you mate my workshop(shed) is 8x6 and i can fit quite a bit in there.

6x6 would be ok as you only got hegner and drill in there and sounds like you will be toasty with the boiler !

mine a wood shed but same problem hot in summer but freezing in winter i got a convector heater from do it all 30 quid and can get it from -5 to toasty within ten minutes then thermostat keeps it at temp i want. i love dark winter days in there with heater on and radio on working away at my saw.

if i were you i would get some p3 masks disposable they have litlle pplastic filter on end wilkinsons sell them about 2.50 for three b and q sell them but they lot more expensive in fact best ones i have had for fit and comfort were some for 1.00 pound i got of market.

they good for keeping dust away from lungs if you gonna be spending lot of time sawing in there

you will need a sturdy bench for hegner something cheap second hand will do, you be suprised what tables you can find in like second hand , auction shops etc

i put a fibre door matt cut to size under my hegner and bolted it down again nothing fancy just a cheap matt and some cheap bolts from wilkinsons just mark and drill through bench and thread through and fix nut on underneath table but dont over thighten as hegner base is cast maybe some rubber or aluminium washer would be good against the bolt

Mark

just a thought i sit down at my saw so it depends whether you gonna stand or sit as to bench height i took the back of an old computer chair and kept the wheels on so i can move about a bit along the bench and adust my position easily without having to continually getting up and moving chair plus i can adjust the height i find sitting more comfortable for long periods but everbody different

mark

Thanks Mark ,you have been really helpful to me and I appreciate it very much . when I said pillar drill I should have said bench drill which in my opinon is much more suitable to my wants .
I have three Black & decker workmates which I am sure will be helpful to my set up I hope . As I will be sitting down the office chair is a great idea especially as I have been looking for a reason to get a new one for me computer desk ,Having two flouresent lights installed today 4' daylight ones I believe . Thankfully some friends appreciate some of the stuff I turned on my lathe ,it helps to keep costs down :) :)
Back to the blade question again ,I believe there are two types pinned and pin less ,would this be right? and if so which should I have . I am ordering one of those quick release clamp things so will this make a difference to my blade type .All help and advise will be great fully accepted . If anyone thinks of something that will help me don't hesitate to post.

PS in case anyone thinks that I am someone who is loaded with money and is just doing this for the CRAIC ,I must point out to you that for health reasons I had to give up woodturning which I loved ,when I sold on my turning equipment and was looking for something that I could do that was not as strenuous as turning but involved wood I came across Scrolling .So what I am spending is the result of what I had built up over a number of years ,and now makes it possible to make this investment. And if I can get a few more years doing something that I'm sure I will love as much as turning !!!! I will be happy.

sounds good mate , i never put on a work mate before so i not sure what it be like the only thing you got to consider is your legs if you sitting down as you need space underneath to get close enough to the saw but it would be just a matter of trying and see how it goes or have a dry run and put work mate up and get your computer chair and have a play around before you get saw see how it is for getting close i guess your saw will over hang at front so you will prob be ok , i got an events folding table what they sell of after festivals cost me 6o pound but 6 foot long by 30inches and then i strengthend under neath with some cheap batterns where the saw is positioned good thing about it its clear all way along so i can back and forth from sander, drill and saw on my backless computer chair !

as for blades the hegner only takes pinless and both type of clamp takes pinless i dont think tech supplies sell pinned but im sure they would have sold you pinless.

so forget about pinnned blades you wont have no need for them and pinlessis pretty much the norm for scroll saws these days as you can get thinner blades where as pinned you could only go down to a certain size

the quick release blade clamp is just for the top but without having to explian and waffle on you will see the difference to normal one when you get it.

mark

Hi Boysie,
Sounds like your in for a lot of fun !
I like the idea of being in with the boiler :D you'll be like toast ! you may need a kettle and some tea bags :mrgreen:
About a foot switch , i wouldn't be without one , i made my own with parts from RS components , i can put my foot on the switch and the saw starts , take me foot off and it stops ,!!! simple really , and i don't need to let go of my work piece , got to be safer ! and if u need to, you can stop for a second or two in the "tricky " bits, without letting go of your job , well that's my 2 penneth L.O.L
Have fun --------------------------------Frank-------------------

Hiya Frank .when you know what you are doing building your own has a great advantage and saving I would imagine ,However that is not a runner im my case :roll: :roll: .Me and the auld 'electric's would not be good bedfellows I'm afraid .I have seen foot operated Stop /Starts for sale on an outlet on the 'net . but am not sure if the are compatible . I can see the advantage of having one and the quick release as well ,but I dont think they are so important during my learning period .(which could be a long one ) :oops: :oops:

As regards the toasting in the boiler house , I could be living in there when Clair finds out what I'm up to still it is nice and cosy . :mrgreen:

Morning Eugene ,
OK on the electric stuff ! :D i'm like that with this computer stuff, when i get stuck ,me 10 yr old grandson sorts me out L.o.L.
may find one on the old EBay , but the sewing machine type won't work !!!
As for the learning curve , I'm sure it wont take long , you need some wood, some blades , a comfy seat , and a cup of coffee
if we can't find you.------------ we'll look in the 'boiler' room :lol: :lol:
-----------------------Frank-----------------

i wouldnt get too wrapped up about a foot switch boysie although they obviously a handy thing to have i havent got one and ive been fine without it and you can scroll saw fine without it.

As for the quick relaese blade clamp , true you dont need that either but as i said i used a normal one for a year and when i eventually got it couldnt believe how much quicker and easier it is and wished i got sooner !

but see how you go your money mate your choices :lol:

well like i told someone else on here who was wondering whether to get it or not if you dont think any better i will buy it of you as a spare !

funny i not heard anything from them yet :D

Thanks Mark , can anyone tell me am I going to have much sawdust and fine particles flying about . I will be rigging up a cooker hood extractor over the saw which will be fed to the outside I also have a Axminster extractor that Blister brought me over a few years ago which can be positioned anywhere ,so depending on how much dust I generate methinks I will be reasonable covered . :roll: :roll:

P1010899.JPG
P1010899.JPG
P1010904.JPG
P1010900.JPG
P1010898.JPG
I met up with a few friends during the week that I have not been in touch with for over a year now. They were surprised to hear that I had given up woodturning . I told them about my interest in Scrolling of which they knew less than I do .They are confirmed Turners . One of them said he thought he had a Scroll saw in his workshop that his brother had left there 10/15 years ago and if He could find it he would bring it over to me as his brother had passed on .LO and BEHOLD he arrived yesterday with a Scroll Saw ,The FIRST I have ever seen covered in all kinds of dust and cobwebs plugged her in and away she started no problem. The blade in the saw was there since it was used last and needless to say would not cut the proverbial lump of butter. It has blades with pins at the top and bottom . It was manufactured in 1993 has a18" throat a cast iron bed with left tilt (see I have been trying to learn) The bed is narrow about 9" wide at front tapering to about 5" at back about 12" long. Single speed and 1/8 hp .apart from rust and no blades I am ready to tackle the Eiffel tower now. :D :D I think that it was made by HUGEMA :?: :?: I took some pictures which I wil attempt to post lighting not very good but will give some idea what it looks like

Attachments

• P1010898.JPG
    P1010898.JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 512
  • P1010899.JPG
    P1010899.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 512
  • P1010900.JPG
    P1010900.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 512
  • P1010902.JPG
    P1010902.JPG
    78.3 KB · Views: 512
  • P1010904.JPG
    P1010904.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 512
  • P1010899.JPG
    P1010899.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 512
My scroll saw arrived in Dublin yesterday morning and was taken by courier to Carlow ,from depot to my house approx. 100 km .when the courier got to my area he discovered that the suppliers had not put my contact no. on package. He went to post office in local village and enquired for directions :idea: :idea: .I live about 2km outside village there are 8 houses in the area .He was given directions as to where we lived but never arrived .When I contacted DHL this morning to find out what had happened I was told the driver could not find the house so he brought the package back to Dublin . :evil: :evil: I have to wait until Monday for delivery :twisted: :twisted: .Made inquires at other 7 houses in my area and they had no courier driver asking for directions .
Needless to say Monday should be very interesting :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I am beginning to wonder was I meant to have this saw or not. we will see.

well :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o (homer) :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

P1010908.JPG
The Eagle has landed !!! :D :D now the fun will begin :lol: :lol: .I have to say that Technology Supplies did their fair share to get me off on the right foot, they included 2 extra packs of niqua rev.tooth blades in no. 1/ 3/ 5 / 7 /9 = 360 blades this along with a pack of these blades which seems to be another 250 .which were in with the saw . :shock: :shock: Jeez if I were to use only one per day ,I have two years supply .
Plus they threw in a couple of table inserts and a blade clamp as extras . All in all a nice gesture . The courier will never be late again either :twisted: :twisted:
Anyway I am going to try and post some pictures with fingers and legs crossed .
P1010906.JPG

P1010910.JPG

I have no idea what way these photos will show up on here .

Attachments

• P1010906.JPG
    P1010906.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 429
  • P1010908.JPG
    P1010908.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 429
  • P1010910.JPG
    P1010910.JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 429
Now go and get it dirty, I'll look up some 1000 piece Jigsaw puzzle patterns for you. :twisted:

hooray !!! =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

looking good just a couple of points you asked me how high my bench is and it is just over 70cm then the machine on top and thats for sitting down whilst working.

also you know the quick release blade clamp you have , well the spring loaded screw thread on the top arm has to be screwed down onto the top of the blade clamp so it is rigid and dosent move if you look on top of blade clamp there is a tiny central punch mark where you tighten the little point on end of screw thread onto it.

i am of work this week so if you want any free telephone advice my number is 07896676946

mark

Back