The day I almost out-gloated Philly and Chris...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tim":1uneyvjs said:
That is clearly a picture from the agent's particulars (no rain :wink: )
Cheeky! It doesn't always rain here, you know :lol: (not raining now in fact :p)

tim":1uneyvjs said:
So you've given up the biggest workshop and now your giving up your finishing room?
I only said 'probably get used for non-woodworking purposes' :lol: - don't you think having three rooms is a little greedy? I'll probably use it as a finishing room once we buy a garden shed, but in the meantime I'm afraid that the mowers are in there :cry:

Cheers,
Neil

Hey, is that the beginnings of a treadle lathe I see there outside the door...? :wink: Very nice; looking forward to see the inside (better save that for a rainy day though :whistle: ). Now go and take that erroneous "almost" out of the thread title... :p :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Bean":1jarqeyx said:
is that because you are inside ??
The cheek of it! :lol: I'll have you know that I've just had a very nice lunch outside in the sunshine, and the thermometer in the back garden is reading 30 degrees 8)

dedee":1jarqeyx said:
Oh, er! It sure makes me wonder what the large workshop looks like
Go on then, Andy, take a look if you insist :p

studio.jpg

Alf":1jarqeyx said:
Hey, is that the beginnings of a treadle lathe I see there outside the door...? :wink:
Not quite :p - just some wheels which the previous owners very, um, kindly left for us!

wheel.jpg

Cheers,
Neil

Just stumbled upon this thread and I gotta say Neil, you are a lucky man -- living in Ireland, the home of Guiness, having a sweet home and a shop like that. The stone work on your home looks very nice. And, I really like the "sunlights" that you have in your shop. Natural light in a woodshop is very nice. Something just not right with flourescents or halogens. No matter how bright they are, the work just doesn't look right.

Cheers!
Dave

Neil.

Wish you both many years of hapiness in your new home .

(hope the neighbours like the sound of woodworking machienery) :roll:

PS 30 degrees. I've just spotted the longjohns :lol:

Neil. STOP IT it's just too much :wink:

I bet you'll have some mobile machine bases for sale soon.

What is the difference between the total floor area of your house and combined workshops? - must be very close.

30 degrees and not raining - you must be on the dark stuff.

Andy

Thanks, everyone :D

Andy, it is a good proportion of the floor area. We we first found the house, we thought from the total floor area given by the agent that it must be huge - it turned out that he was including the area of the main workshop and so had an extra 1000 sq. ft on the total! A bit cheeky I thought, I guess he felt that he could get away with it seeing as it was attached to the house.

No mobile bases I'm afraid - I've been putting off buying any heavy machinery until the move was over. Glad I did now, fitting our stuff into the removals lorry was a nightmare as it was!

Cheers,
Neil

waterhead37":3du6eub2 said:
Think I will show that to my architect....
Would the drawings be any use, Chris? Let me know if you want them...

Cheers,
Neil

Neil,

Well done on the move. One store for the non woodworking stuff sounds fine, keeps it out of the shop. :D

Neil":2vhaj8ti said:
Would the drawings be any use,
Only if they come with the ground to built the shop on. :wink:

I just saw this thread now Neil. Woww!! That place was a great find - congratulations, and best of luck with both it and your impending arrival.

...if you ever feel like for swapping for a "compact" house in Dublin, give me a shout.! After all, all of that extra space of yours will just require more time dusting, so cut your losses early and opt for my place (barely room for a duster, let alone swinging a cat!) :D

Thanks, Dave & Pooka :D

Its a bit of a poisoned chalice really, though - when I'm in the little workshop I can't help but cast envious glances over to the 'big workshop' which I now have to call the studio :-({|= - I must find an alternative studio for SWMBO soon!

Pooka, I'm sure you could buy my house twice over for the price of a house in Dublin, even if it is "compact"! Funny you should mention dust, though - job for tonight is to clean the dust out of the studio. I think the previous owner must have thought that dust extraction was for wimps (along with guarding on tablesaws :roll:) and there must be a couple of complete boards of MDF worth of dust in there - full breathing apparatus required!

I'll take pics of the inside of the little workshop this weekend...

Cheers,
Neil

Attempt at a composite pic of the inside of the new (small) workshop:

click on image for larger view

Two of the walls are old (18th century) and the other two are block with stone facing, done in the last 5 years. Double-doors (just visible on the right behind the sack truck) are made of ironwood (red ebony) :shock:

Lots of work to do and decisions to make! First job is to get some power into there...

Cheers,
Neil

neil that is a small woorkshop i mean where are you going to put the new woodford like phillys got , :cry: :cry: :cry:

frank":2o231a4c said:
neil that is a small woorkshop i mean where are you going to put the new woodford like phillys got , :cry: :cry: :cry:
Frank, I could just about fit one in but I'm happy to make do with the Festool for now, plus a nice bandsaw when the finances have recovered from the move!

Chris":2o231a4c said:
Or become a Galoot..
True, true - but I'll still need lighting unless I go the extra mile and do everything by the light of an oil lamp! :p

Cheers,
Neil

Back