The Crown Beaver

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, it's one of them things. I dunno, I always thought they were for these mad turners who have 2000 turning tools to choose from, 15 different chucks and never make anything you can actually use. The sort of round, spinny equivalent of a galoot, in fact... :oops: You're not going to let those nice planes and such sit about gathering dust, are you, Waka? :shock:

Cheers, Alf

Alf":2wwqtlj1 said:
You're not going to let those nice planes and such sit about gathering dust, are you, Waka? :shock:

Cheers, Alf

Definitely not, actually added the LV bullnose shoulder and LVBU Jointer +fence this month, the turning is just something else I'm learning to do.

Alf":1xn5179e said:
You're not going to let those nice planes and such sit about gathering dust, are you, Waka? :shock:

Or worse still send a stream of wet shavings all over your workshop when you turn some green wood :D

Got quite a few Crown turning tools but not that one, they all seem to be very good quality and have a nicely balanced feel to them with decent sized handles. For deeper hollowing I made myself some tools along the lines of those used by Robert Chapman with replaceable tips.

Jason

Jason

Thanks, not really into wet turning yet, I'm having a hard time with dries at the moment.

I'm looking at all the tool selections so i know what to look and try at the next Yandles day out.

Waka":1by7z0io said:
Thanks, not really into wet turning yet, I'm having a hard time with dries at the moment.

Waka,
If your thinking about hollowing I'd try wet turning its much easier than dry particularly into endgrain.
Can't help you on the tool in question except to say that I really like the crown tools I have. I've looked at the beaver before but I'm saving for a woodcut pro forme (hope Santa is reading this :) )

cd

Hi Waka,

I use the kelton 1/2" system - see link:

http://www.hegner.co.uk/pages/Kelton/Ho ... lower.html

I have found them to be very good for most types of timber. (I use a modified 1/2" router collet in a turned handle rather than their handles - I don't like the handles with grub screws that craunch into the tool they are gripping).

I have not used the crown tool you have mentioned. It looks similar to the Rolly Munro tool that is also a shrouded ring, which I know may people think highly of. There is an excellent review of hollowing tools at the following address:

http://www.fholder.com/Woodturning/article9.htm

(Note - at the time of writing the above site was down - I hope this is temporary as I did not print the article and it really did cover most hollowing tools on the market and went through the different in application between cutting tools, scrapers etc when applied to hollowing + the different dry and wet timber makes on the tool choice etc etc).

Anyway, best of luck and let us know what you decide.

Simon.

Simon

Thanks for the links, the article is really good reading, I'll have to ponder over it.

CD

Where's the woodcut pro forme from, any helpful links?

Hi Waka!
If you really consider buying a deep hollowing tool I would highly recommend the Munro Tool. It's the most versatile of the lot because you can do every kind of turning with it: end grain, cross grain, long grain. It surely takes some time till you can handle it like Rolly does. Furthermore sharpening is dead easy; a sharpening aid is provided in the set.

Horst

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks all for the advice, I didn't realise there were so many to choose from. Looks like I've got some habds on to do before I commit myself.

'Pologies, I should have been more specific....

Alf":1d5gs4tm said:
Mad turners...

:shock: Pardon? :-s [-X :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just joking of course. :wink:

Cheers,

Trev.
:ho2 :deer :deer :deer :deer :deer :deer :deer :deer

Sorry, but I'm not rephrasing that bit... [-( :wink: :lol: :lol:

Gill, bunker accommodation for one please! I'll bring mince pies... :ho2

Cheers, Alf

Okay, I give in ... :cry:... :lol: :lol: :lol:

But I actually know where The Bunker is :twisted: although I can be placated with plenty of mince pies. :wink:

Cheers,

Trev.

Latest posts

Back