The Creative Woodturner - Terry Martin

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicguthrie

Established Member
Reaction score
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Creative-Wo...8&qid=1442686603&sr=8-25&keywords=woodturning

I've seen the above book on Amazon, and browsed the very limited detail available on preview, where he mentions some interesting stuff, including some variations on cuts with the bowl gouge, that I've never seen in any other book or whatever.

Unfortunately, there's not much to go by tho, and from the pictured on the cover the book looks a little on the "Arty" side to be of general use to a rookie turner that likes fairly straight forward stuff with a little variation thrown in.

I'm just wondering if anyone has the book and can give me more of an idea of the other subjects covered etc? It looks like one of those that might well devolve into "carving and shaping turned objects" in later chapters, and I'm not a carver by any means!

I just don't really fancy blowing £15 on a book that'll be browsed once then take up shelf space for ten years till I give it away, if it's not really appropriate to my skill level etc.

Thanks if anyone can help.

Nic.

Nic,

I've not read or seen this one but do have quite a few turning related books. What are you after in a book, I'm sure someone here can suggest something that will help you.

Simon.

Being a bit of a sucker for turning books, the artier the better, though I don`t have this book and haven`t seen it "in the flesh", it`s on my wishlist. Judging from what you say you`re looking for, and the preview that appears on Amazon, I`d say this is maybe not the book for you at present.

If you want fairly straightforward stuff with a little variation thrown in I'd suggest "Turning Projects" by Richard Raffan. It's got a nice mix of projects, he's full of good advice and I think I picked mine up for about £3.50 on ebay or Amazon. His Boxes book is very good too.
There are so many woodturning books which are pretty poor or of very limited use that I've been very impressed with the Richard Raffan ones I've seen and best of all the Projects one gets used - I come back to it and try something else when I'm looking for an idea for something new.
The book you mention looks interesting but it does look a bit as if he has an idea (don't be limited by convention) and has made a whole book based on it which may be trying to get too much mileage out of one simple idea :)

I've just checked and ebay is the way to go - four copies of Turning Projects on offer each under £3.50 with free postage - at that price you can't go wrong!

Castanea":1nsfy652 said:
I've just checked and ebay is the way to go - four copies of Turning Projects on offer each under £3.50 with free postage - at that price you can't go wrong!

There are also DVDs of Richard Raffan's book, if you're more of a watcher than studier. Never seen them, but his Youtube vids indicate there'd be pretty good.

HTH

Wow, sorry guys, the app I use on my phone, Tapatalk seems to have deleted the response I sent.

Thanks for the advice, I was looking for a book that contained more than just the basic techniques, as I'm now pretty familiar with the Kieth Rowley handbook that was my first purchase. It's not that I know it inside out and consider myself an expert already, but having little to no access to other turners, (especially with my wife's health) all my learning is from books and YouTube, and I feel I need some inspiration, mostly on more advanced techniques, but on more advanced designs, shapes etc as well, as I'm not naturally a greatly creative person.

After watching a YouTube video about "Catch Free Bowl turning", then seeing Terry Martin's book mentioning different cuts with the bowl gouge, that totaled three ways of using one tool in one day that I'd never seen before or thought of, and it sort of struck home how little I know so far.

I don't know Richard Raffan's stuff - I'll look him up ASAP

What I'm looking for is not a book on the virtues of carving turned work, so many of the more "advanced" type stuff seems to go that way, and I'm nowhere near able to carve worth a damn, nor the idea of "texturising" work with scorching, scoring and other stuff that basically feels to me like vandalism, but just plain better and more interesting turning.

If anyone does have any ideas on books or sources I might get more info from, then please let me know?

Thanks again.

Nic.

Thanks Nev, I had a look on Amazon at the inside of that book and it does cover a few new techniques and stuff, looks pretty interesting - if you give me a mobile number or email address I'll Paypal you some funds to cover postage etc if you like! :)

As for Richard Raffan, thanks for that tip fellas, he seems like a good source for info - there's quite a few books around by him, I had a chuckle at finding the book you guys mentioned for a penny plus postage, in the Civil Engineering section in Amazon :)

Back