The cost of timber

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zedgeezer

Established Member
Reaction score
Is it just me, or do you think timber prices have rocketed since Covid?
Is it just transport / import costs or are B&Q (other stores are available) just profiteering?
This is posted from the UK, maybe other nations don't have this problem?

There is a general shortage of timber and everyone stuck at home is either buying timber to use or having jobs done that they would usually put off due to prioritizing holidays!

I saw an article that said globally timber prices had gone up 188% since the lurgy started. don't know how accurate it is but could probably be right

prices have more than doubled since last year for me, I am trying to use re-claimed wood as much as possible, and use up everything I've already got before buying any more.

There is a general shortage of timber and everyone stuck at home is either buying timber to use or having jobs done that they would usually put off due to prioritizing holidays!
Actually, I've got to eat some humble pie here. I keep a spreadsheet (Yes the DIY equivalent of train spotters) and when you compare, as an example, B & Q, the UK prices over the last 5 years are not as unrealistic as I first thought.
4" x 2" x 2400mm sawn / treated:
2016 - £7.28 each.
2021 - £9.42 each.
29% higher but not stupid?
3" x 3/4" x 2400mm sawn / treated:
2015 - £4.31 each.
2021 - £4.62 each.
7% higher - no problem in the current world.
These were two random prices I checked from my spread sheet, maybe the current prices are more realistic than I realised?

It’s never as simple as just a % either.

They may be selling some things as loss leaders (or low profit), over time some things get cheaper/more expensive relatively. For instance, food has gotten dramatically cheaper as have electrical
goods, houses not so.

Back