The cool tool wall

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, how's this for a haul of cool Metrology nerdiness. Spur of the moment eBay buy - all the indicator stands and v blocks and angle plates you could ever want, a Baty shadowgraph and a sigmasize analogue comparator gauge. Mainly I wanted to have a play with the shadowgraph - more on that when I get chance. The sigmasize has blown me away though - firstly that it worked when I turned it on, secondly by how accurate it is. You can adjust the +/- limits so the light goes amber or red if it's out of tolerance, it's metric or imperial, and it measures down to 0.00015 of an inch/ 0.005mm. Which is insane. The gauge block in the pictures is almost perfect, but you can see the difference in it's size if you warm it up in your hand for a minute. Amazing!
I've got a 600 x 600 x 100 granite block that needs calibrating if you need some practice with that new kit you've bought

Wow... its quite heavy duty gear isn't it?

I have some precision stuff but its all for items 6" or under.

That set of centres is huge. I don't even think it'd fit comfortably on my Parkson (which is about 133% the size of a Bridgeport).

I could actually use that Sigmasize thing though. If it came with a sensor head about 1/4 the size of that one.

I was once asked to quote to make something to store coils on nuclear submarines, imagine an empty cable reel with one end/disc that could be lifted off, the coil put onto the round centre and the lid put back on again. This then went into a tin with the lid. It had to be made in hardwood and the specification from the MOD was to within 4 thousands of an inch.
I pointed out to them that wood was not really the best material for this as there was no way on gods earth that it could be kept within that tolerance and that if it swelled they would never get the coil off it. It all went a bit quiet after that.
It was also specified that the bottom disc and the central column had to be turned from one piece, when it is blindingly obvious that it is much simpler to turn in separate parts. And that’s how your money is wasted folks.

cabinetman - was this to supply the Barrow works where most of those subs were made?

ie the same place where they admitted a few years ago to assembling one of the main Trident segments on upside-down because the measurements were fairly similar that way? And the place where they found during a service that some of the main reactor coolant valves had corroded nearly right through.
How our tax billions are spent to make the world a much more dangerous place (especially for the crew).

I'd tell you an even more worrying story or two about dangerous errors on these things, but don't want a visit from naval security.

Hi Danny the coils were being made by a local company and they needed to follow the MOD specification for packaging them but I don’t know where they were eventually going I’m sorry.
If this level of stupidity flows throughout as you suggest, that’s pretty worrying, And as you say particularly for the crew.

Yeah, quite right Alpha-Dave, but my point was (along with several other members posting here I think) is that those sorts of things - which need such tolerances - are not usually made in what most of us here call a "home workshop"!!

I wouldn't be so sure, there's plenty of people out there doing that kind of thing in home workshops, for my sins I've built two machine tool spindles in a home workshop. It does reach a point of your hobby being "Precision" though...

If you're interested in the kind of loons who would do such a thing, google Stefan Gotteswinter to see an offensively competent German man (of YouTube fame) operating a small toolroom as his hobby from a home workshop.

I wouldn't be so sure, there's plenty of people out there doing that kind of thing in home workshops, for my sins I've built two machine tool spindles in a home workshop. It does reach a point of your hobby being "Precision" though...

If you're interested in the kind of loons who would do such a thing, google Stefan Gotteswinter to see an offensively competent German man (of YouTube fame) operating a small toolroom as his hobby from a home workshop.

OK, will do, thanks (even if it only depresses me)!

Stefan does some amazing work. I'll never be that good, but it's fun stuff to tinker with.
Teaser - just wait till you see what's coming home with me tomorrow. It's very heavy, hideously complicated, possibly broken, obsolete and glorious. Just my cup of tea really:LOL:

A DSG is certainly the fantasy big boy lathe. Realistically I'd like a tidy triumph 2000, but I'm in no rush as the Harrison is plenty good enough. The deckel FP1 has a slotting head so I've no need (or space!) for one.

A DSG is certainly the fantasy big boy lathe.

A friend of a friend has twice offered to sell me his spare one (it's missing some components in the motor control box and he's never got round to sorting it), if it reaches three times, I may well take him up on it... It's always the moving it that's given me pause for thought.

Oh a DSG 15x36, I'd swap the wife's kidneys for one. Maybe one day (sigh)

Cool drill chucks you ask? Why yes, of course. First up is a jacobs 20N ball bearing superchuck. Largest chuck jacobs made - its range is 3/8 - 1". Pictured with a No.0 for comedy effect!

Next up is a kawasaki keyless chuck - I had no idea they made these, but it's a fantastic piece of kit, at least as good as an albrecht.

Finally there's an rpd centering chuck. Looking through the "sight" on the side projects a crosshair onto the workpiece, letting you line up perfectly and then drill.

Attachments

• 20201125_161029.jpg
    20201125_161029.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 20201125_161112.jpg
    20201125_161112.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 20201125_161206.jpg
    20201125_161206.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 20201125_161212.jpg
    20201125_161212.jpg