the cleaning powers of coke (the drink)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stewart

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all
Has anyone an opinion on the use of coca-cola/pepsi/generic supermarket brand in cleaning up blades - considering what it does to a penny left soaked in it for a night I wondered whether it might be good for cleaning up old chisel and plane blades. Of course, I could just be off my rocker...
Any views welcomed!
Cheers
Stewart

It works because of the phosphoric acid content - personally,I would try something else (I use spray-on resin cleaner to start with)
And it is better to look after your tools (e.g. keeping them clean/dry/oiled) in the first place,than trying to restore them (yes,I know you could be trying to recover someone elses disasters :lol: )

Andrew

Thanks Andrew
Yes they are someone else's mistakes - a couple of cheapish sheffield chisels from ebay.
I've got some blade cleaning fluid made by CMT I think. I'll give it a try, though coke is so much cheaper!

I like naval jelly for removing rust. I belive that is also phosphoric acid but it is in kind of a gelatinous carrir. It will go on and stay where you put it. Besides, my tools are on a caffiene free diet. :D

Hello Steward

On a side note:
Years ago before windsheild washer fluid, if it started raining and the windsheild was smeared on my car, I just stopped and got a coke (for a dime) and shook it up and sprayed on. It cleaned the glass very good. :lol: So coke is good for something besided drinking. :twisted:

Travis

I'd not heard of that use, Travis. There's a TV show here where a crew goes into someone's house that is not the cleanest and they use coke as a toilet cleaner! So it's definitely not just a drink - did Dr Pemberton know we would put his concoction to such unseemly uses??

cheers
stewart

Dave R":1gayu0lp said:
I like naval jelly for removing rust.
Galoots tend to come out in a rash at the thought of using naval jelly; I gather it's a bit over zealous in its actions. I've recently become something of a convert to citric acid for blades and such; some info in the wooden moulding plane thread in Hand Tools.

Cheers, Alf

Back