The Chop, Sky History (Sky 123)Thuesday 15th 9:00

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It’s an interesting topic though, should we be held accountable for previous opinions (perhaps not actions) even though they may be a totally reformed character? Having known very staunch racists and homophobes in the past who have totally changed and shed their hate I don’t think it’s totally impossible but if you got it plastered all over your face it’s a bit harder to hide from your past.

On a slightly more serious note, I know a couple of tattoo artists, and I know that a lot of them offer to do cover up work on any hate/gang/offensive tattoos for free - it's obviously beneficial to them to get this stuff out of the public eye, but also they see it as a service worth providing.

The guy on this program may not have many options for new designs, but I know he could have had them covered or altered if he so decided. That's why I think it's more likely he was playing nice for the camera than is reformed and full of remorse. Anyway, we'll never know.

Hmm, going by that perhaps I’m closer to being French than I originally thought :unsure:

It’s an interesting topic though, should we be held accountable for previous opinions (perhaps not actions) even though they may be a totally reformed character? Having known very staunch racists and homophobes in the past who have totally changed and shed their hate I don’t think it’s totally impossible but if you got it plastered all over your face it’s a bit harder to hide from your past.
That is a very good point. According to two American friends of mine (one a confirmed Republican, the other a confirmed Democrat) the reason that a country the size of the USA cannot produce a half decent candidate for President is that most people are not prepared to have their past lives combed through second by second to see if they ever said, did or wrote anything indiscreet or currently unfashionable.

Most of us become wiser as we go through life and that used to be generally accepted. It was understood that in your youth you would do daft and unadvisable things.

There is a weird puritanism abroad at the moment and it seems to draw fanatics who have nothing better to do than live their sorry little lives out in the internet (hence my mildly controversial "saddos" comment earlier). FWIW I'm not too bothered about what somebody was - unless they committed heinous crimes - and am far more bothered about what they are now.

The root problem IMO is that in the form of the internet, we have unleashed a very powerful thing and we have not yet as a society allocated it its proper place. Thus we find ourselves tolerating frequent witch hunts, something which we were generally glad to have seen the back of, until recently at least. This seems to me to not represent progress.

The guy on this program may not have many options for new designs, but I know he could have had them covered or altered if he so decided. That's why I think it's more likely he was playing nice for the camera than is reformed and full of remorse. Anyway, we'll never know.

Isn't that the point? None of us actually know if he was "playing nice" or if he is a genuinely decent bloke. He's been hung, drawn and quartered by a virtual mob which is accountable to no-one.

That is not a desirable state of affairs.

Most of us become wiser as we go through life and that used to be generally accepted. It was understood that in your youth you would do daft and unadvisable things.
It's a good point. I remember a few years back when one of the UK police forces tried to "get down with the kids" by employing a young lady (who had an online presence) as a youth ambassador for the cops. It then turned out she'd made questionably homophobic and racist comments (online) some years prior, as a teenager.

Amongst all the furore that led to her being dropped I read a really good opinion piece (in The Independent if I recall correctly) from a journalist who was grateful that the Internet and social media didn't exist when he was younger; given all the really dumb things we say as youths.

Now that said - in the case of Mr Tattoo... he clearly lied about the meaning of the 88; so he must have known it had a less than pleasant significance. In terms of benefit of the doubt, how would any of us feel if a major TV channel broadcast a program including someone with ink that effectively said "I'd like to exterminate you and all like you". I guess we'd probably not be too happy.

Isn't that the point? None of us actually know if he was "playing nice" or if he is a genuinely decent bloke. He's been hung, drawn and quartered by a virtual mob which is accountable to no-one.

It's a part of the point, but this isn't an offhand tweet, or an ill advised comment in the pub after a few drinks. To have the strength of feeling to commit to the social messaging of having that statement tattooed on your face is concerning. I think it's fair to say it should be removed or altered before I'm prepared to give the benefit of the doubt. Even a cross over the top would show willing.

I hope nobody thinks all tattoos are symbolic, but then again so far nobody's accused me of satanism, vampirism, or witchcraft so I'm good.

Felder Hammer in the background behind spiderman.

Not sure who spiderman is, the cameraman?
Take it in the background, you may be referring to Feder/Himmler,
I can see no Felder or Hammer stuff, as all I can see is Axi behind the Nazi

Sorry, suppose I'll get me coat aswell :rolleyes:

No he hasn't, he's been removed from a TV show because his body is covered in Nazi hate symbols. The poor lamb.

All this being said and done, if it were me who'd won the whole thing, I'd be pretty cheesed off that I now (assumedly) won't get my exhibition in the William Morris Gallery. I didn't mishear that in the show did I? That was the grand prize or part of it?

All this being said and done, if it were me who'd won the whole thing, I'd be pretty cheesed off that I now (assumedly) won't get my exhibition in the William Morris Gallery. I didn't mishear that in the show did I? That was the grand prize or part of it?
I don't see why that wouldn't still happen assuming the winner wasn't the bloke in question.

I don't see why that wouldn't still happen assuming the winner wasn't the bloke in question.

"And here's the exhibition piece by the bloke that won that TV show..."

swastika-table.jpg

"And here's the exhibition piece by the bloke that won that TV show..."
I'm not sure if this is a correct statement or just an attempt at humour, but that table ISN'T a Nazi swastika symbol, it's a Left-Facing version often now referred to as a sauwastika which is a symbol of divinity & spirituality in Indian Religions.

Back