The Chop, Sky History (Sky 123)Thuesday 15th 9:00

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
more than likely. Probably says it all really. Felder may have had a preview and obviously don't think they will be needed for a a 2nd season :devilish:

Woodworking covers a wide range of skills.

Do you expect TV to work best for demonstrations of cutting fine dovetails, optimal plane sharpening, using a veneer press etc.

Or is it more likely to be who can operate the loudest chain saw and come up with the quickest 5 bar gate from a pile of CLS.

Not prejudging it of course!

Hi all,

I've just had an email advert from Triton who are sponsoring this TV show The Chop. I just thought I'd share it here for those who are interested in that sort of thing.

Chris

Must have been hand tool only alla Fidgen

See this chop has the handy guy from Restoman and the shed building program

Will there be push sticks? PPE and hi-vi jackets coming out of their ears, obviously, but will there be push sticks?

Well it seemed to focus on the people more than the woodworking, which is usual for TV shows.
Theu havd picked out a disparate bunch to try and cause some tension, but the bloke with the face tattoos seems a nice guy.
A couple of flaky ones as well.

The stool from a log was a simple task but most made a right hash of it, only the boke who did the carving had the right idea.

The chap who did the chest in the individual task has some skills.

Pete

I thought he was funny.

Pete

I also think he is funny,.......But not on this program. To be honest, I dont know why he is even on the show as he has no interest in Woodwork, as he freely admitted yesterday morning on the Radio 2 breakfast show......and it's not as if he is floating around the workshop making the contestants laugh.

After the first episode, you can see there are some capable woodworkers taking part and good luck to all of them, but I think it's quite a stretch to suggest the winner is going to be voted "Britains Best Woodworker ".......

A question for those that watched it - I don't have sky - is the program likely to encourage or discourage people from trying this woodworking malarkey? Or is it too early to tell?

It's difficult to know what the target audience is. My wife, who has never partaken in any wood work except helping me lift beans, pronounced it interesting. She also spotted a Festool case so she must be paying attention.

The bloke with his entire head covered in tattoos, including his eyelids, she noted has very big biceps. He also appears to have the most woodworking skills so far, but does not listen to or properly interpret the brief.

Last edited:
I don't get why any other series like Masterchef, Bake Off, have a bunch of judge's who don't knock the contestants skill or ability, yet a series in which the knowledge you need to enter takes years that, you have someone constantly cracking jokes at contestants expense and taking the p£&& out of then openly.
I wasn't impressed at all if someone was to do that on other shows people would jump right off the deep end, I know I wouldn't be happy applying for a show then upon see it, found out a B list comic was constantly taking the p*£# out of everyone, I'd be embarrassed as hell. Only one person who actually knows the right end of a chisel, I had an idea it would be like this, and I was utterly right, I know we're all poke fun at our self with the odd cock up here and there but to have several time spent adults showing their talent to constantly be popped at is just wrong to be honest, as I said if you did this on Bake Off WW3 would ensue, a good show and idea put so badly produced I fell so sorry for all the contestants to be honest, sorry for the small novella but I had to say something 😉

Back