The Chop, Sky History (Sky 123)Thuesday 15th 9:00

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For those of us that don't have Sky, 'The Chop' can be seen on Youtube.
I've just had to watch that on fast-forward as the annoying commentary from Lee Mack was getting unbearable. It might be watchable without him?

I'm reminded of the time when a production company popped up on here asking for people to join in and appear in a TV series - the responses from the "cynical bunch of miserable curmudgeons " can be seen here

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/threads/creative-craftsmen-need-for-a-new-tv-show.99808/
The production company went rather quiet...
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: That made my night, was before my time so hadn't seen it.

I'd have been cynical as well. When the guy from DeWalt contacted me to ask if I wanted to test and keep a new cordless nail gun my initial reaction was "yeah pull the other one whats the scam"

Just gave it a watch, if these are Britain's "top woodworkers" the craft is truly doomed! 🤣

The frontier table was an interesting project but I do think each team was a little overstaffed which probably caused it to be more time inefficient than it should've been. In six hours, a particularly skilled craftsman more than likely could bang out one of those tables without too much issue to a similar standard by one's self. I particularly liked Glyn's wedges though, that was a nice touch I thought, and quite well done with just standard bench chisels!

The log stools were a bit of a farce but to be fair they were given rubbish gear to get the job done, you would have a hell of a time trying to rive a straight piece out of a log with a wood grenade as a splitting wedge! 😲 😂 It seemed a little that the 'tool acquisition' side of the program didn't really know much about what they were sourcing.

The "Creative task" where each had to build their own project from their own design was quite interesting. Not sure if Tattooy McTattooface (Darren, who actually seems very competent to be fair) actually understood the aim of the task but what he made was an excellent bit of furniture but not exactly in keeping with the specified brief at all! Otherwise, there were some interesting pieces made in ten hours.

I didn't think it was a terrible program actually. Yes, the constant remarks every other second from Lee Mack did get a little irritating after a while but on the whole, I've watched worse! I imagine woodworking is a very difficult thing to record and keep your average punter interested in the content, whereas something like blacksmithing has all the drama of the hot metal, sparks, and hammering whilst woodworking is rather slow and meticulous by comparison (Although blacksmithing can be very meticulous!). Of course, it's not "proper" woodworking as such but I'd watch another episode.

There's a whole series of documentaries on youtube from german tv, it's called "SWR Handwerkskunst" where allsorts gets built from violins to huge yard gates, tables, boats etc., no drama or annoying commentary and background music and put together really really well to show the craftsman and the process of the build.
The only drawback that it's all in german...

Cheers!

Ferenc

We watched it last night and it was better than expected. I'm sure they said in the intro that they'd gathered some of the UK's top woodworkers... hmmm... not so sure about that. All in all I enjoyed it and, when asked for a brief summary, the Better Half described it as "entertaining and I'd watch it again". She can, and does, watch anything whilst knitting so that's not especially high praise!

There's a whole series of documentaries on youtube from german tv, it's called "SWR Handwerkskunst" where allsorts gets built from violins to huge yard gates, tables, boats etc., no drama or annoying commentary and background music and put together really really well to show the craftsman and the process of the build.
The only drawback that it's all in german...

Cheers!

Ferenc
Ausgezeichnet, keine probleme fur mich Hoffentlich ein unterhaltsamer Abend

Yes what he said! Or maybe not.
My go to program at the moment is Combat Dealers on Quest (Freeview) the guy pulls wonderful girning faces as he buys and sells old Second World War tanks and trucks and basically anything else he can get his hands on, good stuff going on in the workshop as well. Ian

Watched it on YouTube.
Was pleasantly surprised I didn't have to waid through loads of adds.
Found the commentary and editing both deeply annoying. Watched most of it on 2x speed just to see the final products. Some of the contestants are quite handy, but there's not much time spent watching them do anything and far too much time with the hosts prattling on and largely demeaning everyone else. I found it bizarre, and not in a good way. Won't be watching any more.

The guy with the tattoos, half of them are white supremacy symbols.
I assumed these were more common knowledge these days, but perhaps not. They were originally supposed to be a code I guess.

88 - heil hitler
23/16 - white power

There are others..

The guy with the tattoos, half of them are white supremacy symbols.
I assumed these were more common knowledge these days, but perhaps not. They were originally supposed to be a code I guess.

88 - heil hitler
23/16 - white power

There are others..

Apparently the number tattoos are all just an unfortunate coincidence! To commemorate the death of his father in 1988 he decided to have 88 tattood on his face so that whenever he looks in the mirror he'll be reminded, not of his father, but of the year he died! Makes perfect sense.

Apparently the number tattoos are all just an unfortunate coincidence!

Yeah, and I've got a bridge to sell you...

Also, he claims to be 28, so unless his father froze his sperm, it doesn't really stack up...

Back