The cheek on some people!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can take personal offense at whatever you fancy. But this mentality is precisely the reason we are in the environmental crisis.

Environmental issues always were deemed not to be not serious enough "in the grand scheme of things", but one of the biggest issues we face today.
No offence taken, just bemusement at your original post and subsequent self-back patting retorts.
A random person keeping you awake by using the wrong bin, not no bin, but the wrong bin is not an environmental issue, it's a whole mess of many things but the biggest issue we face today it ain't.
If you still can't understand the difference between a "first world problem" and a "world problem", then it is pointless for me to try to convince you.
Trust me, it is utterly pointless trying to convince me that erroneous use of your recycle bin is a world problem, you have my agreement there.
For the record, I wasn't complaining about lack of tanning salons or 5G coverage, too few fries in my burger or the cost of Netflix subscriptions. (Intrigued to see if my issue was the epitome of first world problems, what are these!)
Nope you complained someone used the wrong bin, again not no bin but the wrong coloured coded bin.
I was talking about one person's mentality of not giving a damn and about lack of the simplest effort that could have made the difference. Wrong things ending up in the wrong place. How many go unnoticed? How many more share the same mentality? We produce 1000s of tonnes of unavoidable waste per day, would it be too much to ask to get it right to the best of our ability?
I think you are putting way too much thought into how important your recycle bin is.
I for one smile at people who laugh at me when I remove the plastic tape from a cardboard box, because I know I can make that difference.
No one is laughing at you, that's your assumption. Getting a feel for how you respond to simple commentary on your own comments in an online general discussion about a bin however is probably an indicator of how you integrate within your community. I don't blame you for being paranoid.
Education doesn't stop when you graduate or leave school. But lack of it sure confused the hell out of some!
Are we still talking about the bin?

The world is on fire, literally on fire, the science of climate collapse and at-scale GHG mitigation (my day job) is way past people opening the right bin on a country walk or more likely your neighbour who is (and I'm taking a post graduation, school leavers, educated guess here) most probably messing with you. That discussion is thirty years behind schedule, the issue is way past this and no it's not a case of every little helps anymore; It never was and will always, to some extent, remain the sanctuary of people who do the bare minimum but then congratulate themselves by posting it on the interweb.

Don't delude yourself that you are crusading for a cleaner future by ranting about recycling confusion. By all means have a moan, but don't conflate it with righteous environmentalism in your back peddling from your amusing pics of the horrendous crime of the wrong bin being used. It's just a little bit Wallace & Gromit and again, it's just a little bit of a first world problem.

No offence taken, just bemusement at your original post and subsequent self-back patting retorts.
A random person keeping you awake by using the wrong bin, not no bin, but the wrong bin is not an environmental issue, it's a whole mess of many things but the biggest issue we face today it ain't.

Trust me, it is utterly pointless trying to convince me that erroneous use of your recycle bin is a world problem, you have my agreement there.

Nope you complained someone used the wrong bin, again not no bin but the wrong coloured coded bin.

I think you are putting way too much thought into how important your recycle bin is.

No one is laughing at you, that's your assumption. Getting a feel for how you respond to simple commentary on your own comments in an online general discussion about a bin however is probably an indicator of how you integrate within your community. I don't blame you for being paranoid.

Are we still talking about the bin?

The world is on fire, literally on fire, the science of climate collapse and at-scale GHG mitigation (my day job) is way past people opening the right bin on a country walk or more likely your neighbour who is (and I'm taking a post graduation, school leavers, educated guess here) most probably messing with you. That discussion is thirty years behind schedule, the issue is way past this and no it's not a case of every little helps anymore; It never was and will always, to some extent, remain the sanctuary of people who do the bare minimum but then congratulate themselves by posting it on the interweb.

Don't delude yourself that you are crusading for a cleaner future by ranting about recycling confusion. By all means have a moan, but don't conflate it with righteous environmentalism in your back peddling from your amusing pics of the horrendous crime of the wrong bin being used. It's just a little bit Wallace & Gromit and again, it's just a little bit of a first world problem.
Look who's getting precious about it now!

If you don't understand someone's point of view call them righteous and add the word "ism" to whatever you think sounds smart!

And just because you want to believe the change, however small, is pointless, doesn't mean you can shove it down my throat.

Yup, that sounds about right!

And for someone who said I don't have a scooby of who you are or what your story is , you just formed a bunch of assumptions about me and how I integrate with my community. The irony is amusing here, but not apparent to you. But hey, we all think we are cool and laid back until someone challenges us, and then all the cool just jumps out of a window and we start dissecting the challenger's comments bit by bit, and sometimes we still don't get the point!

Anyway, I'm done because this has reached a point where I really don't see the point in engaging. But, you can carry on if you like, there are lot more statements to go through and dissect.

I'll wager (admittedly a bunch of formed ironic assumptions on my part) that popcorn sales are strong around Haddenham.

I have to admit that the first thing to cross my mind on reading the initial rant was that perhaps the "culprit" was from another area and had no idea what the bin colours denoted. They probably thought that "in a bin is better than on the pavement", and in a sane world they'd have been correct; given the current state of things it certainly seems that officious Bin Police and sleepless nights worrying over what goes in which receptacle is akin to fiddling while Rome burns.....

Sorry that my annoyance of the stupidity of people who don't care about the environment annoys you, mate.

And never has it been stated that this is my biggest issue.

So, thanks for your contribution 👍
It does not annoy me. Some people are really stupid and don't give a toss - that annoys me too
We should all care for our environment.
It might have gone into a wrong bin, but at least it didn't end up in the waterways.
I only question whether this transgression warranted a post.
Many have raised the issue of plastics on beaches and put the responsibility onto the companies that produce these products.
I suspect that a major contributor to this problem is the way we retail products. All packaged and coded to suit our retail system.
This comes from someone who spent many years developing packaging for a major UK based multinational.

It does not annoy me. Some people are really stupid and don't give a toss - that annoys me too
We should all care for our environment.
It might have gone into a wrong bin, but at least it didn't end up in the waterways.
I only question whether this transgression warranted a post.
Many have raised the issue of plastics on beaches and put the responsibility onto the companies that produce these products.
I suspect that a major contributor to this problem is the way we retail products. All packaged and coded to suit our retail system.
This comes from someone who spent many years developing packaging for a major UK based multinational.
I agree, it did not warrant a post, but it's an off topic discussion (mainly a rant). It wasn't a clickbait (another thing I really hate, and IS a first world problem) which said "read this if you want a free Festool domino". In another life, this would have been a discussion in a pub!

The frustration of it has been built up on many instances where I have seen the simplest things done wrong and almost all of those have consequences which aren't good to the water / soil.

I work for an agritech startup on autonomous farming machines and have seen lots of places, research on soil quality declining due to foreign objects that could have been avoided if people just made the right call.

No offence to anyone who didn't benefit from the thread, but I certainly did. I learnt what other people have seen, experienced.
Half the discussions that happen anywhere (pub / office / on a walk) don't need to be discussed, but they happen, and lead to people learning something from it, even if it is just one person.

Regarding the retail packaging, you have piqued my interest. Did you design packaging for fresh veg produce or like processed foods or cereal boxes etc? I have been following some stuff on this topic recently and even came across a student who is designing a clear packaging material made out of fish scales, so it is biodegradable. She is also trying to develop a vegan version of that (god knows how that's going to happen, but I suspect it is made of husk of a particular grain/crop)

I cannot believe this thread! It's just a cup in a bin! Just do the world a favour and put it in the right bin, then go and enjoy your life. Why all the fuss for g--- sake!

I cannot believe this thread! It's just a cup in a bin! Just do the world a favour and put it in the right bin, then go and enjoy your life. Why all the fuss for g--- sake!
You obviously miss the point that it caused the serious issue of the legitimate contents of the bin to be refused and inappropriate sanctions being applied to the householder. It's NOT just a cup in a bin!

I got rid of a knackered old upright piano by taking it apart, breaking up the wooden parts that weren't worth keeping and topping up the bin before collection day over a few weeks. The cast iron string frame was too big for that, I had to take it to the dump. When I got there a gang of p*keys appeared from nowhere and had it out of the back of my estate car as soon as I opened the tailgate 😆
Just wondering if when you smashed up the piano, did you feed the bits through a toilet seat !:ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:

You obviously miss the point that it caused the serious issue of the legitimate contents of the bin to be refused and inappropriate sanctions being applied to the householder. It's NOT just a cup in a bin!
At what point did you extract the 'it caused the serious issue of the legitimate contents of the bin to be refused and inappropriate sanctions being applied to the householder' from the 'One Cup, Two Bins' film script? :unsure:

Not seen one for over £40 years - think you may of missed the cut off point to change them to coins lol 😂
And another thing. What really annoys me is when people write “may of” instead of ‘may have’. Shocking! Shocking!

And the spelling, grammar and punctuation here is atrocious. What to do?

Ha ha ha

There are problems if no one spots it and just the bin men spot.

If no one spots it it will go away with the garden waste and be composted. It will then end up in a garden and then make its way into the wider environment.

If the householder did not spot the cup but the bin men did the bin would be refused. I do not know how often they empty these garden waste bins, maybe not as often as residual waste bins which are very two weeks here. Maybe the househoulder is getting the bin emptied because they expect to do a lot in the garden during the next period and need the space. Why should they have to store their garden waste in bin bags because there would be to much to put in the bin.

Also people have been fined for the wrong thing in the wrong bin. Why should the houdehoulder have the stress of appealing such a fine.

And another thing. What really annoys me is when people write “may of” instead of ‘may have’. Shocking! Shocking!

And the spelling, grammar and punctuation here is atrocious. What to do?

Ha ha ha
And that’s why I left school at 15 yrs lol, thought my grammar was decent compared to the texts I get off my son eg r u cumin ova dad I’m ungry 😂😂

I agree, it did not warrant a post, but it's an off topic discussion (mainly a rant). It wasn't a clickbait (another thing I really hate, and IS a first world problem) which said "read this if you want a free Festool domino". In another life, this would have been a discussion in a pub!

The frustration of it has been built up on many instances where I have seen the simplest things done wrong and almost all of those have consequences which aren't good to the water / soil.

I work for an agritech startup on autonomous farming machines and have seen lots of places, research on soil quality declining due to foreign objects that could have been avoided if people just made the right call.

No offence to anyone who didn't benefit from the thread, but I certainly did. I learnt what other people have seen, experienced.
Half the discussions that happen anywhere (pub / office / on a walk) don't need to be discussed, but they happen, and lead to people learning something from it, even if it is just one person.

Regarding the retail packaging, you have piqued my interest. Did you design packaging for fresh veg produce or like processed foods or cereal boxes etc? I have been following some stuff on this topic recently and even came across a student who is designing a clear packaging material made out of fish scales, so it is biodegradable. She is also trying to develop a vegan version of that (god knows how that's going to happen, but I suspect it is made of husk of a particular grain/crop)
I worked for a major UK household goods manufacturer here in Aus.
They did have a "food" division ( if you could call it food ! ), but I did not get involved in that division ( thank goodness )
The marketing managers would provide a brief for the packaging requirements. These were based on "what looked good " and the convenience for the major retail outlets.
Minimising the amount of packaging and it's impact on the environment was NEVER an issue. There was no interest in recycling.
I was glad to be out of it.
The volume and types of packaging is still a growing problem - so now it is just "green washed "

At what point did you extract the 'it caused the serious issue of the legitimate contents of the bin to be refused and inappropriate sanctions being applied to the householder' from the 'One Cup, Two Bins' film script? :unsure:

The bin has been arrested......

BIN_SEIZE_EDIT.png

It IS just a cup in a bin - and you're missing the main point: just when did the tail start wagging the dog in the UK Rubbish Wars?

You pay the council for this "service" but you're expected to follow whatever diktats they choose to impose on you, presumably to fit in with what results in the largest income stream for them and the least inconvenience for the recycling companies. The talk of sanctions, and even fines, is ludicrous and it's amazing to see just what nonsense the Great British Public will put up with if it's introduced slowly and surreptitiously enough - "boiling frogs" anyone?

I was in England for a month recently, clearing my house ready for auction: having been paying council tax for years for literally nothing, I still had to make numerous trips to the nearest, but still rather distant and deliberately badly-signposted, tip since there was only one "general waste" bin collection in that time and the strictures on exactly what was, and wasn't, "acceptable" in the multi-hued recycling bins were pretty unfathomable even to my neighbours.

How much energy and potable water is wasted cleaning jars and bottles so that the recycling companies can maximise their profits? Where I now live jars and bottles are reused many times and only recycled when no longer useable, although it's becoming harder as producers pinch pennies with single-use screw caps on jars and beer bottles, thinner glass and some, such as Hellman's, using label glue that doesn't come off in the wash but leaves a sticky residue on the glass.

It's bad enough being bullied by the mediocre and self-serving politicians we have these days without being victimised by "refuse operatives" in black trenchcoats and dark glasses......😠

It IS just a cup in a bin - and you're missing the main point: just when did the tail start wagging the dog in the UK Rubbish Wars?
I can't agree (as you might expect) - All your points are valid BUT that is a totally separate argument. You have to deal with rules AS THEY ARE not as you would like them to be. By all means lobby for change but in the meantime abide by the rules!

I can't agree (as you might expect) - All your points are valid BUT that is a totally separate argument. You have to deal with rules AS THEY ARE not as you would like them to be. By all means lobby for change but in the meantime abide by the rules!
Ja - I voz only following orders ...😎

Keep abiding by stupid rules and they'll never change!

Back