The cheek on some people!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got rid of a knackered old upright piano by taking it apart, breaking up the wooden parts that weren't worth keeping and topping up the bin before collection day over a few weeks. The cast iron string frame was too big for that, I had to take it to the dump. When I got there a gang of p*keys appeared from nowhere and had it out of the back of my estate car as soon as I opened the tailgate 😆
Hmm,............ read your abbreviation as 'piano keys' Duh....

Is all this rubbish dumping and general behavior not just down to the way society now thinks is acceptable
If you want to see discarded rubbish come and have a look at our beaches here in Bournemouth after a sunny day. It's disgusting - disposable barbecues, plastic bottles, cans, bags of faeces, plastic food wrappers, carrier bags, nappies, it's worse than Glastonbury, only we get it every week throughout the summer. I've lived here for 45 years and it never used to be like this. Why can't people take their litter home?

If you want to see discarded rubbish come and have a look at our beaches here in Bournemouth after a sunny day. It's disgusting - disposable barbecues, plastic bottles, cans, bags of faeces, plastic food wrappers, carrier bags, nappies, it's worse than Glastonbury, only we get it every week throughout the summer. I've lived here for 45 years and it never used to be like this. Why can't people take their litter home?
Ouch!

I bet you, one of the reasons they may not take their litter back is maybe they don't want to dirty their loud Audis and BMWs (says a man who owns a quiet BMW which is proudly dirty, as I'd much rather it is stuck in the door pockets of my car rather than on the street)

Bournemouthbeachrubbish26062020.jpg

No excuse for that!

A few hundred fish will suffer because of someone's laziness!
No, it's all cleared up by the council. I can think of better uses for my council tax.

People say we need the visitor revenue but these morons bring their own food and drink , park anywhere they like blocking peoples' drives, bus routes and emergency vehicles, go home without spending anything and leave the place looking like Armageddon.

No, it's all cleared up by the council. I can think of better uses for my council tax.
Agree, but at least they will be disposed off responsibly. Whoever Coined the term "national waste" is on the money here.

All just because someone couldn't be bothered.

Is all this rubbish dumping and general behavior not just down to the way society now thinks is acceptable, it is more than likely a generation thing. Standards have fallen over the years for whatever reason and if the police no longer take any interest in burgularies and just accept them as petty crime then where does littering come on the scale of things.

A good example that modern society has a real major problem is when an 80 year old in a mobility scooter is stabbed to death, that says it all about life in the UK and that it has gone right down the pan.
Your absolutely correct- unfortunately although modern technology has expanded the we live and interact the common sense, good behaviour, and respect for the environment, animals and of course each other is long gone . lives can be taken and snubbed out , while not wanting to jump on the (young) a hell of a lot of this type of crime is committed by teenagers and young men and women. It’s sickening to constantly hear of these attacks and deaths just because they feel a sense of entitlement to behave in the way they do . It does make the subject of littering quite trivial but it’s all linked imo..

As a young lad I’ll never forget those adverts of a angry farmer cursing the couple that left all their pick nick rubbish in his field and then left the gate open - showing my age but it’s stuck with me for years- and the times I’ve seen a group in a car at mackys or kfc then just throw the rubbish onto the car park even though the bin is 3 ft away .

Your absolutely correct- unfortunately although modern technology has expanded the we live and interact the common sense, good behaviour, and respect for the environment, animals and of course each other is long gone . lives can be taken and snubbed out , while not wanting to jump on the (young) a hell of a lot of this type of crime is committed by teenagers and young men and women. It’s sickening to constantly hear of these attacks and deaths just because they feel a sense of entitlement to behave in the way they do . It does make the subject of littering quite trivial but it’s all linked imo..
Agree on the young(ish) offenders, just seems like there is a lot of internal anger and resentment about something that manifests into a blow out and causes damage everywhere - life or otherwise.

Access to violent content, cyber bullying, keyboard warriors all contribute to one's state of mind.

But on the contrary, I have seen many youngsters taking the steps against bad environmental practices. Start ups who are targeting specific problems to make our world and future better.

I guess it comes down to the correct education and nurturing. If one's parents are prejudist, abusive and generally anti societal, it is naturally picked up and adopted (unknowingly) by impressionable young minds.

But the right attitude towards harmonious living, respect towards people and nature, generally yields better behaved generation.

As the technology gets more sophisticated, the avenues of misinformation also grow in number and sophistication, so more people will readily believe in the wrong things!

I remember going into a coastal village shop one lunchtime about 40 years ago. The owner served me and asked if we'd had a good beach party the night before. Yes, I replied, excellent - but why do you presume it was us? He was a parish councillor and got all the complaints. Because we always get told when there's a party, and we always know when it's you lot - there's never any trace left you've been there, he said.
There is no need for the littering.

Because its too much trouble and why should i shift mine they left thiers Education, Education, Education

Agree on the young(ish) offenders, just seems like there is a lot of internal anger and resentment about something that manifests into a blow out and causes damage everywhere - life or otherwise.

Access to violent content, cyber bullying, keyboard warriors all contribute to one's state of mind.

But on the contrary, I have seen many youngsters taking the steps against bad environmental practices. Start ups who are targeting specific problems to make our world and future better.

I guess it comes down to the correct education and nurturing. If one's parents are prejudist, abusive and generally anti societal, it is naturally picked up and adopted (unknowingly) by impressionable young minds.

But the right attitude towards harmonious living, respect towards people and nature, generally yields better behaved generation.

As the technology gets more sophisticated, the avenues of misinformation also grow in number and sophistication, so more people will readily believe in the wrong things!
Yes a young mind is like a sponge ready to absorb but it takes an educated mind to absorb the right information, I’d say the lack of a farther figure and other positive role models also comes into play but I had neither. at 14-15 I went off the rails , got in trouble a few times with the law but what put me straight was the look of absolute disappointment in my moms eyes and I changed my ways there and then . I’ve worked and earned my money ever since -honesty being the best policy. I think far too many people are severely influenced by celebrities and the richer people of this world that flaunt their wealth and the current culture of reality tv and of course utube . Far too many want this lifestyle but don’t want to put the effort in to earn it they just take what’s yours and will go above and beyond to get it .

Most murders are committed by people the victim knows.

There were 534 murders last year, few are reported in the national media

689 in 2001/2
687 in 1992
618 in 1982
476 in 1972
299 in 1962
400 in 1952
406 in 1942
289 in 1932
243 in 1922
311 in 1911

Given the population increase it does not look like we are living in a particularly dangerous time.

(edited media for murder!)

Last edited:
Rember the days when pop was in glass bottles and you got money back on empties great little earner for the kids , A couple of weeks ago we had our carnival in the beer tent you paid a £1 for a rigid plastic glass with the logo "please reuse me" on it and at the end of the week you got your £1 back if you returned it , the granddaughter was given 10 glasses on the night so made £10 quid over the week she was given over 50odd glasses and no sights like above . I still think the onus should be put on the vendors/manufactures to pay towards the cleanup or find alternative packaging Rant over just looking after my new home town

Rember the days when pop was in glass bottles and you got money back on empties great little earner for the kids , A couple of weeks ago we had our carnival in the beer tent you paid a £1 for a rigid plastic glass with the logo "please reuse me" on it and at the end of the week you got your £1 back if you returned it , the granddaughter was given 10 glasses on the night so made £10 quid over the week she was given over 50odd glasses and no sights like above . I still think the onus should be put on the vendors/manufactures to pay towards the cleanup or find alternative packaging Rant over just looking after my new home town
Good point well made.

I was discussing similar subject with a mate of mine.

My thought was that people (general populace, not the ones who already care) don't really pay attention to the environmental reforms until it affects them or their pockets.

Best example is the shopping bag situation. People who cared for years, made an effort to take their own bags or at least minimised the number of free bags they had to take if they had no choice. This was common knowledge, but general populace never took it seriously. Then one day the law says you have to pay 5p per bag, overnight people started buying "bags for life", giving a bit more thought about it and cringed when they had to fork out 5p per bag. But overall, no action until the consequences were costly for them.

People cannot be trusted to act in anything but their own self interest. Not saying I have been a saint all my life, but when I was wrong, I admitted it, paid the fine and practiced the solution into my lifestyle.

As you say, if vendors are held responsible, who can then charge a refundable premium to the customers, even if the problem isn't eliminated it is at least reduced drastically.

I used to do this back in the day as I lived very close to dunstall racecourse. I’d come home with a pocket full of change and and the odd £1 note ( very rare in 1978) but it was pocket money and worth the effort.

I used to do this back in the day as I lived very close to dunstall racecourse. I’d come home with a pocket full of change and and the odd £1 note ( very rare in 1978) but it was pocket money and worth the effort.
Wow. Didn't know there was a £1 note. Rarest denomination I ever saw was a £50 note! My first day in the country and I gave that to the bus driver at the airport, never seen a man more confused!

I now know exactly what he was thinking, "are you having me on? Where the hell did you come from"?

Back