the challenges of down-sizing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

condeesteso

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a box to make at the moment, and when I finally got the stock I wanted and sized it etc, I began to realise that I was going to need to dust off a few less-used tools.
Along the way on this box I will be cutting dovetails in 5mm stock, for example.
First off I borrowed a wooden twin-screw vice from Jim (an old Record) and made a kind of Moxon (as they are called) - basically a vice in a vice, so you get the work up higher. Then I made a quick mini-bench that clamps into the twin-screw of the main bench, and raises everything about 10" (so working height 43").
I am interested in any tools or tool mods that are recommended - for example I was wondering about grinding down a blade for my Record 43 plough - to 2mm, but I'm not sure the blade would support itself well?
Here are a few I have been using anyway:
box1.jpg

The Two Lawyers gents saw is excellent - I needed practice cutting square as the handle gives no reference.
The small Veritas detail chisels are invaluable. The marking gauge is shop-made and quite small. The key is absolute visibility of the tip, and it's sharp - so I can start and stop precisely.The marker is my SS from 2011 (initialled RJS :wink: ) - and it is brilliant.
Some of the other stuff is to do with eyesight!! And not shown - a Pentel 0.3mm with H lead.
I may attempt tuning a blade for the plough, or just file one out of O1 maybe.
Any favourite small-scale tools out there? I'd hate to think I was short of a tool or so :lol: :lol:

edit: a trick about the marking gauge by the way - it has 2 cutting edges - one bevelled in, and one out, so just flip it. And the blade is good old bandsaw, heat treated to just orange.

Attachments

• box1.jpg
    box1.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 264
It certainly is Teckel. I forgot to mention it, but it's an Osborn, Sheffield. And the owner's name on the handle is W Beautiman. that's what it is...a beauty, man #-o

That's a relief! For a moment there I thought you might be moving into a smaller house without space for three benches and all your tools, and were wanting help to get rid of some!

Not much to add really, except to suggest that grinding down a plough blade ought to be really easy - you only need to reduce a few mm at the tip, so the rest of the blade would still be full strength. As the Record irons were steel all the way through, you could even grind the 'spare' end if you want. I have some that a previous owner ground to a round profile to cut fluting which work fine - put a scrap of plastic tubing or insulation over the end for safety.

Only two benches Andy... just the two. Oh and the built-in one.
Re the plough, yes, a light went on there - i only need 5mm depth max and it should support that OK. I am going to try that as the alternative is a router, and I fancy the quiet.
One other marking idea I tried and think has potential - marking dovetails, whichever way round but the stage of marking pins off tails or v.v. I had a poor quality old point awl, and by knocking a burr onto the end it is quite good at getting right in there and scribing. More of a very small hook than a burr, but better than a pencil and easier to get tight in than a marking knife.

Latest posts

Back