The Build Begins (Workshop in Garage)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You didn't get a box of Felix in palce of your PS5 then Bill? 🤣

How many times have you now put a cleat in and gone "ahh, very satisfying"?

You didn't get a box of Felix in palce of your PS5 then Bill? 🤣
Haha I read about that this morning! The box corner had been torn open though so I guess someone might have considered half-inching it.
How many times have you now put a cleat in and gone "ahh, very satisfying"?

It was very satisfying to do a really simple job and not make any mistakes! I've probably just cursed myself for doing the second set now....

Finished the second set. Also added one of the blanks to the light panel. Trying to figure out the best way to stop it sagging, I think cables into the ceiling seem the best bet.

Next up: designing some of the clear fixtures on sketchup. That will help clear the floor a bit.

570EACF5-216D-49D1-9FB0-7B7B95457DD3.jpeg

As an aside, it was a total fluke but the electrical socket fitted absolutely mm perfect above one of the cleats.

I think cables into the ceiling seem the best bet.
I’d take your cables back to the wall at around 45 degrees rather than up to the ceiling, that way if you’re turning a sheet of ply wood etc there’s less chance of hitting the cable with disastrous effects.😵

I’d take your cables back to the wall at around 45 degrees rather than up to the ceiling, that way if you’re turning a sheet of ply wood etc there’s less chance of hitting the cable with disastrous effects.😵
Ah I meant those metal cables you can screw into fixings and the ceiling, not using the actual electrical cable!

Ah I meant those metal cables you can screw into fixings and the ceiling, not using the actual electrical cable!
Yes I meant the fixing cables not the electrical cables, taking them back to the wall holds just as well as going up to the ceiling but get in the way less.

So not much to report on things over the past few days. I've prepped a lot of the pieces of ply for my new bench, they're fractionally oversized and I'll just skim them through the bandsaw and sand them to get them to final size. I've currently got the saw set to 70mm and so I'm not going to do anything else until I've put every 70mm piece through it to ensure they're consistent - luckily this allows me to make the whole leg assembly as they're all that width.

Have realised how difficult it is to work on full sheets of ply, especially on the floor and having to prop them up with scraps so I can run the track saw over them. As I haven't got any Valchromat yet, I'm just going to temporarily fix a spare section of ply to the top so it's usable in the short term.

I've designed and marked out my drill bit cleat, need to drill a lot of holes in it and then assemble. Since I haven't got a lot of the bits yet I'm just going to have to drill the relevant holes in future, but that's no hardship I suppose. For things like flat bits I haven't checked to see if there's a standard shank on them all, which might make life easier.

I've started a project build for the bench so I'll update with some photos soon. I'm going to have to take it slowly since I don't have many clamps. With the amount of clutter I don't want to go adding to it until I've tidied things up a bit and found/made homes for my existing tools.

Even dealing with full sheets in my workshop is a pain in the backside and I'm already trying to work out a better way! Cutting them is easy enough its just moving them from stored position on the cart I made to the bench.

I installed our old base and wall kitchen units in my garage workshop complete with long lengths of shiny worktop. I totally agree that you can just as easily lose stuff in a cupboard but also that worktops quickly become cluttered. This time I will use a drawer and cleat system. I just need to think of a better way of storing screws, nails and other small paraphernalia that can replace the current glass jar system!
Stanley FATMAX organiser - for organising screws, when on offer at Screwfix or Toolstation.

So this has been quiet as I've been concentrating on the workbench, which is now nearly finished (although won't be completely finished for a while). Next up is making the ply sections of both my router table and flip-top unit.

I've made the grand total of 0 cleat accessories because the first one I tried was for drill bits and whilst the design was great, my attempts at drilling holes was horrendous and so I've ordered a guide to help me drill at the correct angle.

I've got designs ready to take hammers, saws, drill bits, driver bits, and I'm thinking about how to lay out the boards for measuring tools and marking tools. It's difficult because I keep buying new stuff.

I'm also wondering what to do about my plane collection, specifically the 45/55/78 planes. The other day I saw a beautifully made cutter holder and some nice boxes for the planes themselves, so I think I might go down that route rather than have them use up space on the wall.

I've got forstner bits on mine, but not regular bits. As for everything else, KISS.

Those nice incra knockoff T rules I got? A bit of ply with 2 kerfs cut in it and they slot in side on. Minimal wall space and fast to make.

I've got forstner bits on mine, but not regular bits. As for everything else, KISS.

Those nice incra knockoff T rules I got? A bit of ply with 2 kerfs cut in it and they slot in side on. Minimal wall space and fast to make.

Yup I've just been knocking up a few things using scrap and making them as easy as possible. The wall's currently looking this like...

IMG_9187.jpg

I'm in NO danger of running out of space any time in the next decade.

Just thought I'd post a today picture. Two new workbenches built, just need some finish applied. Materials for one more are here but I wanted to clear up everything else first to make room to build it. That will house my thicknesser in a flip-top design.

The workshop though is starting to feel a bit more like somewhere I can functionally work rather than a chaotic mess in the corner of the garage.

IMG_9279.jpg

Looking great with the two together Bill. When I've finished making this utility room pair of cabinets I really need to get a table of some kind done. Its horrible having to route some things knowing that a table would make life easier.

Latest posts

Back