The Build Begins (Workshop in Garage)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What are you going to put in the space above the lights?

Pete

Hadn’t got plans to use it at all, however it seems that I need to put some triangular brackets using the cleats to stop the sagging which will mean that it can be used if I board it over. I suspect it’ll end up being that place that I shove things that never get used 😂

Sunglasses! I think it’s going to seem a little dark in the rest of the room, still, better bright than dimly lit.

Yeah I did wonder about that but actually the rest of the garage gets enough light to not appear gloomy in comparison.

Well if it were me I would put it right up to the ceiling. It will not diminish the intensity under it by much and more will spill further into the room. I would also bring the panels out about 150mm to 300mm so the light would spread a little more too. When first looking at it I thought dust collection pipes or something would be up there.

Pete

Well if it were me I would put it right up to the ceiling. It will not diminish the intensity under it by much and more will spill further into the room. I would also bring the panels out about 150mm to 300mm so the light would spread a little more too. When first looking at it I thought dust collection pipes or something would be up there.

Pete

The hatch for the loft gets in the way of pulling them much further out. Also resting the frame on the top of the panels was the easiest way of getting the damned thing up there on my own, given the constraint of using a stepladder and this way I get access from above to replace panels if ever needed (probably not but knowing me....)

I suppose I could have hung all the panels individually off the ceiling but as for light going further - there's a car there, it doesn't need lighting up :D

Right so more thoughts this evening about what units to make for the shop. My original plan had a 1800x800 static bench with router insert, a 1200x600 mobile flip-top unit, and a 1200x600 sharpening station unit. In addition I would need to make a unit for the bandsaw, which would be 600x600 although unlike the others it would be single use. That would total 3.17sq/m of workspace.

The bench position means that at 800mm it would block a bit too much of the doorway, something I originally just ignored. Also as a static unit it does limit me from moving things around in future, and there's no downside to using castors. FInally with it up against the wall at present, it would make the router part of the table only have a 250mm run in, which might be OK but might not.

Revised plans: -
1. Main bench down to 1200x600, no router.
2. Router table of 600x600 made separately, but will lock onto the main bench, meaning the full bench will be 1800x600 for the most part.
3. Both units will be mobile.

Also for the other units: -

1. I'll need to house one of the units further down the garage otherwise it blocks the car door from opening, and just move it closer if necessary. This will be the one with the
2. The second unit will sit just down the wall from the bench, and I'll make a joining unit that can house a mitre saw.

There's a small loss in worksurface available, but I'm pretty sure it won't be an issue.

Whilst waiting for my screws to arrive to do the cleats, I'll fire up SketchUp and get to work.

Don’t know how much you’ll be using your router table Bill, after building quite a big one I found I didn’t use it that much so made a much smaller one that sits under my main bench most of the time & when in use sits on top of the bench held in the vice. It certainly freed up a lot of space for me.

Don’t know how much you’ll be using your router table Bill, after building quite a big one I found I didn’t use it that much so made a much smaller one that sits under my main bench most of the time & when in use sits on top of the bench held in the vice. It certainly freed up a lot of space for me.

Yup, this is why it'll essentially be a flat worksurface that I attach the fences to when required - it'll basically just look like an extension to the bench most of the time. I've been trying to come up with ways to keep my surfaces as clutter free as possible.

I think having Alexa in the workshop runs the risk of waking up one morning with a headache, especially if you talk in your sleep. o_O ;)

I'm curious as to how it works when extraction is on...

"Alexa turn extraction off."
"Alexa. Turn. The. Extraction. Off"
"ALEXA WILL YOU JUST TURN THE BLOODY EXTRACTION OFF"
"I'll just do it myself then."
*click*

[
[/QUOTE]
I'm curious as to how it works when extraction is on...

"Alexa turn extraction off."
"Alexa. Turn. The. Extraction. Off"
"ALEXA WILL YOU JUST TURN THE BLOODY EXTRACTION OFF"
"I'll just do it myself then."
*click*
I tried yesterday with my 2kw camvac type. Turned it on OK but couldn't hear me to turn it off. Might depend on the vac being used.

I tried yesterday with my 2kw camvac type. Turned it on OK but couldn't hear me to turn it off. Might depend on the vac being used.
My Alexa (little Echo Dot, and a few years old) is behind me; the saws and extractor are in front of me. Normally it hears me surprisingly well, or else a good bellow sorts it out.

If you have smart switches like these then there is a little on/off button on the side which can be used if Alexa doesn't hear: https://www.amazon.co.uk/TECKIN-Soc...1&keywords=smart+switch&qid=1605785474&sr=8-7

I also have the Echo Dot mounted vertically on the wall, which may help her hearing: https://www.amazon.co.uk/eBoot-Hold...eywords=echo+dot+mount&qid=1605785547&sr=8-14 (lots of variations on the theme available)

Having Alexa look after dust extraction is a game changer! (And then handle lighting...)

OK I have never quite got into the whole home automation thing so I sort of understand the concept but I haven't the slightest clue how to achieve it. I like the idea of Home Kit so I can run everything off my iPhone, but I suppose all the alternatives have apps that work as well?

Essentially I'd like, in the workshop, to be able to control the light panel, a separate bench level lamp (not sure if I'll wire that into lighting or socket circuit yet) and the extraction. Any pointers for the things I need to buy? I don't have anything at all right now, in fact my wifi doesn't reach the shop so I need to get an extender sorted out.

OK I have never quite got into the whole home automation thing so I sort of understand the concept but I haven't the slightest clue how to achieve it. I like the idea of Home Kit so I can run everything off my iPhone, but I suppose all the alternatives have apps that work as well?

Essentially I'd like, in the workshop, to be able to control the light panel, a separate bench level lamp (not sure if I'll wire that into lighting or socket circuit yet) and the extraction. Any pointers for the things I need to buy? I don't have anything at all right now, in fact my wifi doesn't reach the shop so I need to get an extender sorted out.
OK here goes - there are lots of different ways to achieve this, so I'll explain what I have, which works well.

1. you need "smart switches". The Amazon link in my post above has 4 for £30-40, which should be enough to get you started. You can get wire-in ones, but it's easier to just hide away a socket and use these plug-in devices. They need to say Tuya or Smart Life somewhere in the description. The link in my post does.
2. Wifi to cover all of the devices above. An extender would be ok.
3. you need a smartphone (Android/iphone) to install the "Smart Life" app - fairly easy to use, free. At this point you can control your switches from your phone from wherever you are e.g. remotely turn on a heater before going outside, or set a countdown to turn off dust extractor after 30 minutes of cleaning the air.
4. Then: adding an Alexa/echo device. Basic Echo dots are under £40 now. Radio, timer, intercom to the kitchen, tells jokes... handy to have. Need an Amazon account to go with it (free AFAIK). Now you can say "Alexa, turn on the bench light".

The building blocks aren't too complex, and nor is the setup. You don't need to dive into Homekits/hue at this point.

My Alexa (little Echo Dot, and a few years old) is behind me; the saws and extractor are in front of me. Normally it hears me surprisingly well, or else a good bellow sorts it out.

If you have smart switches like these then there is a little on/off button on the side which can be used if Alexa doesn't hear: TECKIN Smart Plug 13A WiFi Smart Socket Works with Alexa Echo Google Home, Timing Function Remote Control No Hub Required 4 Pack: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

I also have the Echo Dot mounted vertically on the wall, which may help her hearing: Solid Metal Wall Mount Stand Holder Stand Bracket for All-New Echo Dot 2nd Generation (Black 1): Amazon.co.uk: Kindle Store (lots of variations on the theme available)

Having Alexa look after dust extraction is a game changer! (And then handle lighting...)
Yes I have basically the same plugs but from a different brand
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07RYPJTJX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I did end up using the button to turn it off as its still easier to reach than the vac itself. If the extraction was at the other end of the workshop or (one day) in a workshop annexe then the problem would go away. It's handy being able to turn it on with a shout even with a mask on though.

The other nice use for the smart switches and bulbs around the home is that you can set certain things to happen all at once or at a certain time. So you want you outside xmas lights to come on 30 mins before sunset and off at midnight? Easy to set up. Want a hallway bulb on every night from the kids bedtime till early morning? again easy to do. Want to turn off an entire room with one command? Just say goodnight and off they all pop.

The ones I have (and I'm guessing most others) also monitor power draw so if you're interested you can see that your entire house covered in xmas LEDs costs less to run that one old xmas decoration in the window that still uses old bulbs!

We basically use ours only for playing music and turning a few lamps and bulbs on or off. It's not quite Star Trek yet!

Yes I have basically the same plugs but from a different brand
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07RYPJTJX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I did end up using the button to turn it off as its still easier to reach than the vac itself. If the extraction was at the other end of the workshop or (one day) in a workshop annexe then the problem would go away. It's handy being able to turn it on with a shout even with a mask on though.

The other nice use for the smart switches and bulbs around the home is that you can set certain things to happen all at once or at a certain time. So you want you outside xmas lights to come on 30 mins before sunset and off at midnight? Easy to set up. Want a hallway bulb on every night from the kids bedtime till early morning? again easy to do. Want to turn off an entire room with one command? Just say goodnight and off they all pop.

The ones I have (and I'm guessing most others) also monitor power draw so if you're interested you can see that your entire house covered in xmas LEDs costs less to run that one old xmas decoration in the window that still uses old bulbs!

We basically use ours only for playing music and turning a few lamps and bulbs on or off. It's not quite Star Trek yet!
Similar here although we tested “drop in” yesterday when we had to nip out to see how frantic our new puppy would get...mom’s soothing tones soon settled her down (even though we were only hiding in the garden it wasn’t to her knowledge) 😉

Automation is going to be huge in a few years. You are not limited to voice activation. You can set up a sensor so that when you stand in front of your tablesaw, the extractor comes on, activate task lights when you sit at your workbench, etc etc. Set up an emergency power cut. You can set up an air quality sensor and turn on extraction at a certain threshold. Any savvy 16 year old can program both the Amazon and Google devices with new 'skills', or automated responses.
Unfortunately as an IT guy, I trust neither of those companies so no automation for me, until you can get one that doesn't report back to the mother ship!

So a little progress made over the past few days, my PS5 arrived on Thursday and is proving to be a slight distraction from all things timber.

The first set of cleats are now up. I've cut the two blanks for the light panel and I'm currently glueing them up slowly using the cut-offs from the cleats to hold the panels in place, no point wasting wood! Designs for three cabinets now done, I think I've got the ply to do all of them, although I haven't got round to sourcing the Valchromat from somewhere that doesn't charge a huge delivery fee.

Over the weekend I'll get the next set of cleats up, they're just needing cutting to length and have the screw holes put in them so I reckon an hour and a half and they'll all be up and ready to use.

Anyway, here's the view: -

IMG_9104.jpg

Latest posts

Back