The Build Begins (Workshop in Garage)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lots of tools spread out on a wall with a "depth" of say 50mm. Compared to a cupboard or something that can occupy the same wall area but maybe be 400mm deep.

Ahh, I see 2 dimensional vs 3 d
I was thinking 2d as tuppence or tuppence hapenny. Prolly an age thing.

Generally I can't abide normal cupboards. Be that in my kitchen or anywhere else!
I have a lot of drawers in the Kitchen.

With regards to the light switches needing a nutral - Some do some dont.

The ones from TLC Electrics (no affiliation), work on kinetic energy and are faultless. You wire in at the ceiling rose the receiver, and then have as many switches on the wall as you like!
Or, if you don't have access to the ceiling rose/void, you can use this same setup but the receiver is in the switch. Every other switch is just a wireless slave to turn this switch on and off.
Quinetic 1 Gang Wireless Switch & Built In Receiver - White

Its not cheap stuff but it works brilliantly.

With regards to the light switches needing a nutral - Some do some dont.

The ones from TLC Electrics (no affiliation), work on kinetic energy and are faultless. You wire in at the ceiling rose the receiver, and then have as many switches on the wall as you like!
Or, if you don't have access to the ceiling rose/void, you can use this same setup but the receiver is in the switch. Every other switch is just a wireless slave to turn this switch on and off.
Quinetic 1 Gang Wireless Switch & Built In Receiver - White

Its not cheap stuff but it works brilliantly.
Those are only wireless switches, no? I meant "smart" switches, apologies.

My mistake, you did say smart switches... Yes, the ones i linked are just wirelessly linked togther.
Sorry, I didn't see the point in "smart" switches within a garage space, its not like your going to have Alexa hooked up.

"Alexa, fire up the table saw and dim the lights baby.... things are going to get interesting!!" :)

Screenshot_20201117-084240.png

You could put a saw cupboard at one end and clamps at the other end?

Cheers James

My mistake, you did say smart switches... Yes, the ones i linked are just wirelessly linked togther.
Sorry, I didn't see the point in "smart" switches within a garage space, its not like your going to have Alexa hooked up.

"Alexa, fire up the table saw and dim the lights baby.... things are going to get interesting!!" :)
Ha you say that but I have had an echo in my workshop for a while now. Mostly for music but also for wifey to get hold of me when she's elsewhere the house.

Never used it for the extractor, though some do!

Oh my word! I've never thought about that.
I'm sold. Imagine glueing up a board, and the mobile rings from management (the wife), you have to answer it, but you have to clean hands first... Alexa drop in... (just googled and watched youtube videos) would be a handsfree response - "sorry love, just finishing the glue up then i'll be in"
Twin that with, "Alexa turn on the table saw extractor" or "Alexa goodnight" - which i imagine could be programmed to turn all smart switches off!

Ha... i'm sold!

I'm going to put some shelves on mine to put my expanding plane collection on it.
What is the best way to store planes on end. Or flat but with some scrap to keep the blade off the shelf??
I have mine vertical, soles against the wall behind the workbench. It means every one of them is in clear view, you can always see instantly which ones you haven't put away yet, the totes are in just the right position to grab and start using, and there's no shelf sticking out to overhang the bench - important for me as I'm in a confined space with only a 600mm deep workbench hard up against the wall.

So plenty to get on with, I just have to somehow reverse my mum's dreadful habit of hoarding so I can get rid of the sheer volume of useless tat that she insists on keeping "just in case".

My resounding sympathy, I remember going into one of my Mum's sheds years ago only to find a 1970's turquoise loo stored in there 'in case someone might need it' as in 'Hi Doreen, you don't happen to have a 2nd hand turquoise loo I could have do you?'. She lives on her own in a little bungalow and until this year had two largish sheds full of decades of said useless tat until one of the shed roofs fell in and I had to sort and take most of the contents to the cycling centre. There was stuff in there that I remember from my childhood and I'm 64. Not important memorabilia you understand, just plastic bowls, pots and pans and the like. As the saying goes 'if it's not one thing it's your mother'...

Last edited:
Lots of tools spread out on a wall with a "depth" of say 50mm. Compared to a cupboard or something that can occupy the same wall area but maybe be 400mm deep.

The issue with the latter is obviously that if you can't see the thing you want or it's behind a load of other stuff, it gets forgotten about or is a pain to access so you waste time trying to find another way rather than move 13 tins of finish you've not used in 2 years but kept just in case.

One neat solution to that is for a say 400mm deep unit that is actually 2 or 3 shallower units sandwiched together with hinges. If you want to get to the thing in the back top left corner you just open the front 2 leaves out of the way.

Generally I can't abide normal cupboards. Be that in my kitchen or anywhere else!
I installed our old base and wall kitchen units in my garage workshop complete with long lengths of shiny worktop. I totally agree that you can just as easily lose stuff in a cupboard but also that worktops quickly become cluttered. This time I will use a drawer and cleat system. I just need to think of a better way of storing screws, nails and other small paraphernalia that can replace the current glass jar system!

Oh my word! I've never thought about that.
I'm sold. Imagine glueing up a board, and the mobile rings from management (the wife), you have to answer it, but you have to clean hands first... Alexa drop in... (just googled and watched youtube videos) would be a handsfree response - "sorry love, just finishing the glue up then i'll be in"
Twin that with, "Alexa turn on the table saw extractor" or "Alexa goodnight" - which i imagine could be programmed to turn all smart switches off!

Ha... i'm sold!
Enjoy!
"Alexa, plane these boards to 8mm please"
"And hold the snipe"
I installed our old base and wall kitchen units in my garage workshop complete with long lengths of shiny worktop. I totally agree that you can just as easily lose stuff in a cupboard but also that worktops quickly become cluttered. This time I will use a drawer and cleat system. I just need to think of a better way of storing screws, nails and other small paraphernalia that can replace the current glass jar system!
I use a couple of these. Will add more. Can readily just knock together something to put them in so that you can pull out the one you need rather than stacking them all and forever needing the one on the bottom!
https://www.toolstation.com/sorta-screw-case/p31874

Another productive day full of lessons and Elastoplast. The lighting rig was completed, then came apart, then strengthened. It’s not wired in, and the blanks need cutting from some spare 3mm ply but here’s how it looks....

FB28554D-5956-4BB0-9F02-0505EF5AE7A6.jpeg
3396EFB8-437D-4DD8-A2B6-81E711B288F5.jpeg

I suspect it’s going to be quite bright over the benches 😂
Also today I cut the 45 degree angle on 7 of the cleats, which means I can do a full height for a 1.8 metre length. Screws arriving Friday apparently.

Tomorrow I’m starting to make some of the cleat fixtures starting with ones that I’ve just borrowed designs from the net.

Realised I forgot to buy a sheet of 12mm ply to make drawers, but in all honesty I think I need to use all my 18mm stuff first to create some room.

I was quoted £125+VAT delivery for two sheets of Valchromat today. Laughed.

Just an aside, got my measurements slightly out and the rig was 5mm shorter than I thought, luckily one side fitted at exactly 41.5mm and the other is now 42mm. Not bad for guesswork as I drilled the fixing holes in the wall! So it at least looks centred!

Looking good Bill. You'll love all the light but you'll soon have to add more to the rest of the space as you'll want to see what you're doing everywhere!

Back