The Build Begins (Workshop in Garage)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billw

The Tattooed One
Reaction score
So today I finally got started, and all I can say is that trying to put a 2440x1220 sheet of 18mm ply 950mm up on a wall on your own is, quite frankly, difficult. However, it is achievable. From my thread about potential designs, this is where I started.: -

IMG_9047.jpg

've got a bit more work to do tomorrow and Sunday before I put an update photo.

To do list: -
1. second piece of 18mm ply (smaller thankfully)
2. lighting rig (3 600x600 LED panels with 2 blank panels as spacers)
3. French cleats

After that I'm onto cabinets and benches. Have decided that aside from the bench, all units will have castors even if I don't plan on moving them. You never know!

Good start.

Can you find another home for the mower and other stuff?

You soon fill the workshop with woodworking stuff.

I find I'm always trying. To chuck car stuff etc to make room for woodworking stuff! I'm far from those modernist YouTube workshops!!!

Cheers James

I built another garage years ago after suggesting that it could be home for my wife's car, the car was in it no longer than a week before I relocated all the non woodworking stuff. ;)

Can you find another home for the mower and other stuff?

Yeah there’s a garden shed which isn’t large but only looks vaguely full because stuff’s dumped in it. A quick tidy up and I can probably move a lot of stuff from the garage into it. It’s only me who uses the mower so there can’t be any complaints at least.

Sorry im being obtuse, why were you trying to get a full sheet up that high?

It's the backing for the cleat system, I'm designing the benches at 900mm so the board finishes just above them. Achieved it using a few shims and blocks to stop it falling forward.

It's the backing for the cleat system, I'm designing the benches at 900mm so the board finishes just above them. Achieved it using a few shims and blocks to stop it falling forward.
So a full sheet on the wall for the wall cleats to screw into? You hanging the titanic on it?

You'll soon fill it! - I have!

I'm going to put some shelves on mine to put my expanding plane collection on it.
What is the best way to store planes on end. Or flat but with some scrap to keep the blade off the shelf??

Cheers James

I'm going to put some shelves on mine to put my expanding plane collection on it.
What is the best way to store planes on end. Or flat but with some scrap to keep the blade off the shelf??

Cheers James
If you're that worried about the blade then just route a notch where the blade will be.

Cheers James

I’ve seen 101 options for french clear plane holders, some of them keep the blade off a surface, some don’t. I haven’t decided on the final design but I’ll definitely be using one that keeps the blade from resting on a surface.

So a full sheet on the wall for the wall cleats to screw into? You hanging the titanic on it?

Not just the cleats there’s lighting and other stuff, it just seemed a lot easier to change things in future if I was not perpetually drilling holes into a wall. Also, it’s not my wall. 😂

Here's todays daft question. From someone who has never seen or used them
How thin can cleats be, is 18 mm about the limit?

18mm seems pretty common, it's what I've gone with and thinking about it I can't remember a time when anyone's used anything other than that (unless you count 3/4").

How obvious! Silly me!!

Cheers James
You are not alone in engaging brain at level 6 when you really just needed it barely warmed up on level 1. I do that ll the time!
Honestly I don't know. I used 18mm shuttering ply as I had a bit knocking about. Realistically you could probably hold most stuff up just fine with 6mm or something! When you consider the forces in play it would likely be fine and the weight of the items is what pulls the two cleats together.

I have entire shelves stacked with household rubbish in some built in wardrobes being held up at either end by 2 screws going through a bit of at most 9mm ply but probably thinner and into another shelf. Not going anywhere.

The benefit of a thicker piece is it needs to lift further before falling off the cleat. Useful if you go to pick something up and catch its holder and it lifts a fraction.

Last edited:
18mm seems pretty common,

Honestly I don't know. I used 18mm shuttering ply as I had a bit knocking about.
I had to rearrange the shap recently to accommodate longer lengths of raw material. For economy and flexibility you understand.
Scratching my head today as I pondered how I could better utilise the space available, I concluded I could replace two cupboards and a table with wall cleats and. if it works out gain 18-24" of floor space. I have loads of 12mm off cuts in 48" lengths I could use hence the question.
I suppose I could do an experiment before laying out for 18mm

To hang a full sheet on the wall easily... Use cleats! One split batten at the top to hang it from and one unsplit at the bottom (screwed to the board) to space out from the wall the same distance. Pick up the board, hang it on the cleat. Job done.

HTH

Pete

Last edited:
I had to rearrange the shap recently to accommodate longer lengths of raw material. For economy and flexibility you understand.
Scratching my head today as I pondered how I could better utilise the space available, I concluded I could replace two cupboards and a table with wall cleats and. if it works out gain 18-24" of floor space. I have loads of 12mm off cuts in 48" lengths I could use hence the question.
I suppose I could do an experiment before laying out for 18mm
Honestly I'm sure 12mm would be fine. Hell you could probably hang cupboards from it with no issue at all. Remember that wall cleats often end up being a very 2d solution. Not that there is any reason to be like that really, just how it often ends up.

Honestly I'm sure 12mm would be fine. Hell you could probably hang cupboards from it with no issue at all. Remember that wall cleats often end up being a very 2d solution. Not that there is any reason to be like that really, just how it often ends up.

You're right. I started work in the exhibition and display trade 40 years ago and this was a routine method to hang pretty much anything on a wall/panel. I've used 6mm plywood battens (we called them 'split battens' not french cleats) many times, although thicker ones seemed to make the client less nervous. The problem with thinner stock is that any undulations in the surface you're fixing to make them difficult to seat properly. But if you're worried, put a screw through the back panel of whatever you're hanging into the cleat once it's hung. It's not going to go anywhere then.

HTH

Pete

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back