The big thaw and rust

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a matter of interest, if it is difficult to control humidity effectively (to below 63%) is it likely to be effective to keep all hand / small tools in cupboards or drawers, and all machines covered with blankets. I try to do this as the roof in my workshop is vented (it used to be a massive pigeon loft), although the venting is above a sliding ceiling. All tools are waxed / oiled / WD40d/ wrapped / in cupboards. So far I have been lucky. Heating is not practical until I can do more structural works. This useful thread has made me think about it and the cycle we have been having of huge amounts of rain and wild temperature swings is cause of concern.

David C":1v3emya0 said:
I would hope that 0000 wire wool and Autosol, or some other chrome cleaner would shift the surface rust.

Then oil surfaces.

David Charlesworth

David,

I tend to use a Scotch bright type pads laid flat on the bench and work the flat sides of the plane over the pad. However 0000 wool is useful for the awkward spots.

I do wax and oil my planes religiously after each use anyway, although my recent experience has proven that despite having an insulated workshop and treated cast iron, one still needs to be vigilant for the emergence of rust.

As mentioned, this is the first experience of rust on my tools under my current set up. I was hoping to raise the awareness of rust and how quickly and extensive it can appear over what was only a couple of days.

Thankfully there is no real damage as the rust is only superficial, although I expect it will take me a day or two to remove and treat the affected items. A real pain when I would really rather be doing something else, as I am sure we all would?

Good luck

David

Hi

Controlling the humidity of a non sealed space may be an expensive option - de-humidifying will potentially use more power than selective heating.

Keeping tools in confined spaces, (drawers / cupboards), will help greatly - even better if they are stored with desiccant bags or the spaces are heated with the likes of vivarium heaters, low wattage tungsten filament lights or greenhouse type background electrical heaters.

Large machines will benefit from covering with dry blankets or other breathable materials. You may wish to look into attaching resistive heaters to the underside of large flat bare metal surfaces.

Waxes, oils etc. will also help.

My advice would be to consider your workshop from the point of 'how can I prevent moisture condensing' - in a lot of cases insulation is the best choice as it stabilises the temperature.

Regards Mick

Thanks Mick. The workshop is insulated and double glazed, but being insulation is not that effective because of the sliding ceiling panels. That said I have not had a condensation problem so far. I use quite a few removers blankets to cover machines, and that appears to have helped. These are thick, breathable and a handy size. Next winter I should have the roof insulated and some heating in place. I am sure lots of amateurs who do not use their shop every day struggle with this.

When building a shop it's worth doing from the start. When I built my garage which then turned into a woodshop I insulated it from the start. 2 pane windows, 150mm rockwool insulation in the walls and a whopping 500mm insulation in the ceiling (this type that is sprayed out with a hose). My huge garage port is still a bit of a heat sink despite being insulated, but wit a 2kw oil filled heating element I can keep the shop warm in winter.

Bluekingfisher":53j73xm7 said:
I do wax and oil my planes religiously after each use anyway, .....
I never done that in my life, except once only app of oil to rescue rusty old car boot finds (splash all over half n half raw linseed + turps), and candle scribble on the sole before/during use.

AJB Temple":201up1q3 said:
As a matter of interest, if it is difficult to control humidity effectively (to below 63%) is it likely to be effective to keep all hand / small tools in cupboards or drawers, and all machines covered with blankets. I try to do this as the roof in my workshop is vented (it used to be a massive pigeon loft), although the venting is above a sliding ceiling. All tools are waxed / oiled / WD40d/ wrapped / in cupboards. So far I have been lucky. Heating is not practical until I can do more structural works. This useful thread has made me think about it and the cycle we have been having of huge amounts of rain and wild temperature swings is cause of concern.
That's what I do in my garage (which is basically swiss cheese in terms of holes, and has absolutely no insulation). Covers over machines (and wax the beds), and important/at risk tools in cabinets with silica pouches.

It's still pretty sobering to take a plane out on a "bad" day and watch it get covered in moisture before your eyes, but I just try to ensure it eventually goes back into the cabinet dry (and re-waxed or re-oiled as appropriate).

Funny :| I carried my tools round in a plumbers bass when working outside, never had rust on the tools unless they got rained on before I could get them under cover. Now I just work in my man cave and have a greenhouse fan heater on thermostat at 10* otherwise rust comes. :cry:

Back