The best Record No6...??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

condeesteso

Established Member
Reaction score
Come on then, lets find a better one =D> =D>
A fellow forum member dropped off his vintage No 6 yesterday - for a tune up but really to show it off I suspect :lol:
Never seen one this good before, the decal is almost perfect, the paint is original and virtually 100%, the thick original varnish is still complete on knob and tote.
Can't say who it belongs to as he would probably be hit with offers or hate-mail.
I don't know how the bodies were painted, as the paint creeping onto the frog/body areas doesn't look like overspray, more like it flowed there.
Anyway, that came off, quick grind, hone, polish etc (30 primary, 35 secondary) and it works lovely - from whispers to ten thou plus screams.
I will hand it back, honest.
6-1.jpg

6-2.jpg

6-3.jpg

6-4.jpg

Attachments

• 6-1.jpg
    6-1.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 1,450
  • 6-2.jpg
    6-2.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 1,451
  • 6-3.jpg
    6-3.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 1,451
  • 6-4.jpg
    6-4.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 1,451
Hi, Douglas

Very nice, I love old Records.

Pete

I use one of similar vintage - it's a great tool
Underneath dried on grease and dust the sides had thick lacquer on them, I assume this was factory applied (and the original owner hadn't used it much)
Matt

HA!! Lapped it too! Good on ya!

I have actually seen and handled this No.6 and if anything, Douglas is understating the beauty.

It's a time-capsule tool....and one of the very best models too!

Simply gorgeous!

Now....about those Clifton SS caps.... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Jim

I simply love Record tools, compared to the Stanley range I think they are soooooo much better.

Dangermouse":yqu8a8iw said:
I simply love Record tools, compared to the Stanley range I think they are soooooo much better.

Yeah - at pretty much any date, Record Bailey (of the time) were better than Stanley Bailey (of the time).

This theory becomes inoperable pre 1934 of courser.

BugBear

many thanks to Douglas for his tuning skills, superb job - thanks.

jumps":tkcxg3o3 said:
many thanks to Douglas for his tuning skills, superb job - thanks.

Come on then Duncan....photos of gossamer shavings required, flung in mid air ala DC!

Nothing else will do! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Douglas really likes seeing that proof.... :wink: :twisted:

Jim

Jimi

Douglas wouldn't hand it over until he had shown me the 'shavings' - strangely, once un-wound, they were all the same length (as the piece of ash in the vice...) and see through.

bugbear":ndsbe2e4 said:
Dangermouse":ndsbe2e4 said:

Yeah - at pretty much any date, Record Bailey (of the time) were better than Stanley Bailey (of the time).

This theory becomes inoperable pre 1934 of courser.

BugBear

However there was a school of thought in the 50's/60's that they were cheap copies of Stanley. I think time has proved that incorrect.

When Jim says DC (tossing thin shavings in the air and watching them float down) he does NOT mean me... David Charlesworth trick I believe, which Jim annoyingly adopted, despite me explaining at length* that it's the stock you care about, not the rubbish that comes off :wink:
Thanks Jumps for the time to play with your No6. It was an easy one to tweak a bit, as it is in such excellent original condition. A reminder just how good the old Records are.
And there was a swap anyway - Jumps turned me up a new handle for my skew (old one shot)... very nice.
UKW alive and very well down here in Kent =D>

by the way, anyone contemplating a No6 but not sure why (ha ha) it is really very good at taking loads off - plenty of mass, a really stiff blade / cap assembly etc. That is probably what it's best at and most useful for. The thin stuff is mainly for checking camber I think. (I did put a tiny camber on).

Actually Douglas....I have a rather nice stopwatch marked on the dial in crayon with "dCr" points where:

dCr = Speed to decend 1 metre relative to David's video

...for each species commonly encountered.

I think it would sell.... :mrgreen: :wink:

Jim

It's good that it's marked in crayon, shame to spoil a nice stopwatch :lol: (Is the Cr an abbreviation of crayon or something shorter?)

condeesteso":aamvu2wu said:
It's good that it's marked in crayon, shame to spoil a nice stopwatch :lol: (Is the Cr an abbreviation of crayon or something shorter?)

A joke which is a mixture of radio engineering and fish licences is perhaps....a tad obscure...I must admit myself even! :mrgreen:

Jim

PS I'd quite forgotten how funny the fish licence sketch was after not having seen it for about 40 years...sheer genius! :mrgreen:

Back