THE best price on workbench tops

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ydb1md

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been looking around for almost a month now, trying to find a good benchtop for my new bench at the best price. I was going to build one myself but decided that I could by one for less than my materials. I was all set to use dimensional pine lumber from one of the many home supply stores when I happened to stop by the IKEA website. I know that many of you shudder when you hear IKEA (picture the Knights Who Say Nee, in the Holy Grail) but they do have few solid wood products. Anyway, I picked up a beech countertop that is 72" x 27" x 1.5" thick for, get this, about $130. That's about 1/2 of the next best price that I found, anywhere. And, because I can pick it up at the store, I can save shipping charges that would be between $30 and $50. It's gonna be hard cutting into the surface to make my end vise and benchdog holes, but I think I'll be get over it. :lol:

ydb did you go and look in the reduced section you might see what you want for a lot less .

That is indeed a great price for a top that size. I would want an apron that is a good bit thicker though - are you going to be doubling the thickness up at the front?

frank":3q4f4m3g said:
ydb did you go and look in the reduced section you might see what you want for a lot less .
Yup, you can often get slightly marked/dinged lengths of the beech worktop for the bargain price of £5 in the reduced section. At that price, you could sandwich 4 of them together!

Neil

waterhead37":2aykpnc6 said:
That is indeed a great price for a top that size. I would want an apron that is a good bit thicker though - are you going to be doubling the thickness up at the front?

I'm going to cut six inches off of the width, to bring it down to 21 inches. This will give me room for a tool til. It will also give me material to add to the apron. Six inches will give me the depth to bolt on a front vise.

Back