The best finishing sander

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ike

Established Member
Reaction score
I want some advice on what finishing sander to buy. I have a Skil at present. It's pretty rubbish - very (uncomfortably) noisy and the dust bag keeps falling off - the nasty thing is going to get chucked soon. I admit to being a longtime fan of Hitachi stuff, and also have bought Makita and Metabo. I recently saw a Festool linear sander review (Axminster I think). A linear rather than orbital action sounds like a really good thing.

Has anyone used this sander? How good is it really? I usually buy the best I can afford at the time, but Festool IS jaw-droppingly expensive in comparison. What represents best performance/value? Your thoughts will be much appreciated. :?

Hi Ike

Forget the Festool, despite what CYC might say. :roll:

The Metabo has come top in every test I have seen and whilst the Festool gets better, it is still behind the Metabo. :wink:

A lot of people on here have bought the Metabo.

D&M are normally the cheapest site to buy the Metabo.

Cheers
Neil

Neil, I remember reading the review of the ROS in GWW and the metabo and Festool are very close but the Festool was claimed a little better. Especially the dust extraction was definitely superior on the Festool.

Ike, I believe the Metabo is far better value for money but I strongly think the Festool is the better performer, not by much I am sure :wink: . All the little details make it better, starting with the Systainer (the container it is stored in).
So, yes get the Metabo if the price of the Festool is too high for you, but if you want the very best get the Festool (in systainer).
My humble opinion :D

Oh and as for using the bag dust extractor, I think they are all a waste of time, you're better of connecting your vacum to it (if you have one).

CYC,

Festool is marginally superior to the Metabo, performance wise, BUT the dual orbit on the Metabo swung it for me.

Rgds

Noel

thanks guys. Are you talking about the Metabo Duo?. Thats a circular pad sander isn't it?. If so, nice choice for an all-purpose sander but i've got a Makita 9046 for fast sanding esp. paint removal, so a purely finishing sander is all I need.

Anyway, in general what's your thoughts on linear v/ orbital action for finishing? . Meanwhile I'll surf Festool :)

Catchya later.

Ike,

The Metabo is quite adequate for final finishing with appropriate grit.

Rgds

Noel

Ike, I agree with Noel, if you have an ROS sander already, don't you get a good finishing with it??

I certainly do with mine.

CYC, I don't have a random orbital sander. It's a normal orbital sander the Makita 9046 - big and heavy. It has a 5mm orbit and although fine for fast removal, it's a bit of a beast and too large/heavy for fine finishing. I often still get left with the circular scratches after applying sealer,stain or whatever, even when using 240. A smaller orbit is better isn't it?

What I was wondering is how a square/rectangular pad orbital palm sander of which there are quite a few makes, compare finish wise with the Festool LS 130 EQ Plus which has this linear motion mimicking hand sanding. I am thinking whether I can justify the price of the Festool linear sander by the time saved being able to sand rebates mouldings etc with the various shaped baseplates. Cos I do framed and panelled doors of all sizes fairly regularly. But £260 is a helluva price.

Thinking about it a bit more as well, my real dissatisfaction with my present palm sander is noise and vibration. I'd probably spend up to £150 for something smooth, quiet and industrial quality. Maybe just go for an orbital palm size sander such as the baby Festool um..err 400 something.

I have used a cheap Ferm ROS from Screwfix (£30) for 4 years.
The motor died on the 1st but with the 3 year guarantee it is worth it.
It's cheap enough to use as a throw away tool.
They are only £22 now with the Skil at £40 Click Here

Hi CYC

CYC":3alh66j3 said:
Neil, I remember reading the review of the ROS in GWW and the metabo and Festool are very close but the Festool was claimed a little better. Especially the dust extraction was definitely superior on the Festool.

I've just dug out the review and the Metabo was given "Best on Test" with the Festool "Recommended". It also provided the best finish and it's build quality and ergonomics just beat the Festool.

BTW I love Festool products, their quality is excellent.

Cheers
Neil

PS Big Plug for Good Woodworking - an excellent magazine. (In lieu of non-payment for quoting their review)

I concur with your comment about GWW, Neil.

I have the Metabo Duo (was that your fault, Neil?) for £139 with a couple of Besseys thrown in. Although I have nothing to compare it with, it produces a fine finish and I cannot fault it.

Cheers,

Trev.

Hi Neil,

The Metabo 'Best on test' and Festool 'Recommended'. Which models are they?
:?:

Hello to All,

OK, I missed reading the last post. Thanks for all the advice. Clearly it narrows down to a Festool or a Metabo. Thinking from the wallet and not from the heart, Metabo will get my wonga this time.

thanks again,

Ike

Still thinking... that the Metabo is too heavy, in fact all the 6" ROS are chunkier than I had in mind - prefer something smaller and lighter to suit smaller work

I've narrowed things down a little bit. It's now between:

Festool DS400 Delta Palm sander £180 (although the LS130 profile sander looks a handy bit of kit but too pricey for me)
Dewalt 5" ROS £95
PC 9444 ROS £90

For the price of the Festool I could have the PC 9444 AND the PC333 profile sander. The profile sander comes complete with 17 profile plates unlike the Festool LS130 which has 2.

Anyone got any experience of Porter Cable sanders? :?:

ike":7d9rou1q said:
Anyone got any experience of Porter Cable sanders? :?:
Yep, my dad has the single speed 5" ROS (number escapes me). Very nice bit of kit, although I won't claim it's vibration free of anything. :D The little dust canister doodah is surprisingly effective, but with a vacuum hooked up it's better still. Comfortable to hold and use too. I'd happily buy one myself, if I ever felt the need.

Cheers, Alf

Back