The best clamps...price to practicality ratio

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smiffy

Established Member
Reaction score
In the last wee while I seem to have spent a small fortune in different clamps.

The market seems to be swamped with many designs and copies of some of the brand names.

I bought speed clamps from Focus DIY @ £5 each which were thrown in the bin in disgust then one suddenly sprung and caught my fingers very painfully. Very bad design which I believe Focus have now removed them from sale for this reason.

I spent £20 on a pair of Quickgrip copies, one of which fails to clamp given any real pressure. Another waste of money.

Even Records aluminium sash clams seem to be flawed in design, as they tend to grip the bar when I unclamp (is that a word?) :?

So the question is this...What are the best design and value for money clamps, or is is it definitely a case of getting what you pay for and that I am going to have to spend £30 plus for some decent t-bar sash clamps?

Cheers,
Raymond.

Pony pipe clamps, best value for money and the most versatile.

Noel

Ali sash clamps from Screwfix, Axminster et al....

lightweight, damn strong, cheap as chips and bloody reliable...

never seen one cause a rust stain in oak neither...

Pipe clamps. I have 40 of them. Total cost ; approx $400cdn. They do evrything a Bessey will do except they're a bit more cumbersome. Pipe clamps, some FA clamps , a few C's and some spring clamps and you're all set.

Midnight":2hdpgox8 said:
Ali sash clamps from Screwfix, Axminster et al
I have the ones from screwfix (same as the ones from Axminster) as well & they are very good value for money.

If you don't want to spend a fortune on clamps, what ever you do DON'T try a bessey K body, I made that mistake and now no other clamp will do #-o I NEED more, MORE 8-[

I like the axminster clamps too - good value. And at one stage they seemed to be doing a pair of clamps for the same price as a single - which was ridiculously cheap. I think they may have been a mistake. They're good for panel glue-ups.

I agree with Tony that for general use F-clamps are good value and can exert a lot of pressure if you need it.

My favourite general purpose clamp - the Bessey Kliklamps- light, quick to use, and good clamping pressure (unlike the Quickgrips you mention - I have some of those and find them bad value for money :(.)

I was going to start waffling on about other clamps but re-read your original post and realised you're after sash cramps. Yep try the axminster aluminium ones.

Cheers

Gidon

F-clamps for small stuff - I like Axminster's; and clamp heads for long lengths. I like the flexibility of having any length of bar in wood, which is something a woodworker has handy. :wink: Also the six or seven pairs of heads I got for a tenner from the car boot, including beech bars, made then awfully cheap... :D

Cheers, Alf

Quick action F clamps for smaller stuff upto 30", City or Dakota are as good as the Jorgensen ones

Jorgensen Pony Pipe clamps for larger jobs, No 50's and a few No 56's and a range of pipes & connectors.

Jorgensen spring clamps for small work not cheap plastic ones.

Thats what I use on a daily basis and have not had any problems.

Jason

Back