The Beast has landed.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ByronBlack

Established Member
Reaction score
The Planer Thicknesser has finally arrived.

Today has been a total nightmare. I woke up bright and early all excited waiting for the TNT delivery guy to knock on my door and wheel in my new purchase. Excitement turned to anxiety as mid-day clocked round - surely it should have arrived by now!

I phone the company, track it and get told that the driver turned back at 8.00am because the road was in inaccessible, what a load of BS my road is perfectly fine for all trucks, we even have an alleyway which can be used, so I interogate the poor guy on the phone only to find out that the driver is a lying swine and the reason why he couldn't deliver was because he forgot the 'pump-truck' which he needed to move the thing, so my P/T was stuck on his truck all day while he probably sat on his fat rear end in a greasy-spoon eating bacon sarnies.

3 Hours later of calls going back and forth between me, the customer services deparrment and the depot, they finally agree it's their mistake and will make sure the item is brought out to me that evening on the next shift (the depot is only 30mins away from me, so why the original driver couldn't have just gone back to get the pump-truck and come back I don't know).

So, 8.30 pm was the time it was supposed to be brought over, nothing... 10pm comes round and finally the guy arrives. 30mins later we get the thing of the truck and in to the back garden, he departs. I have 200kg of iron bolted to two pallets stuck behind the workshop - pipper!

So, a shout out to SWMBO and 1 hour later we have managed to break open the crate, unbolt it from the pallet and 'walk/rock' the beast back and forth inching it forward down the garden and finally into the workshop, only god knows how we managed it.

So, I take all the packaging off, look at the beds - rust! look under the beds into the thicknesser compartment - rust!! Take the back cover off to have a look, yes you guessed it, more rust!!

:evil: :evil:

There's no way this thing is new, otherwise it's been sitting in a chiwanese paddy field for the past few months.

Excilierating, excited, relieved, and now dispondant.

Hopefully, the guy's at Lyndhurst can sort it out, but there's no way i'm moving it anywhere now though.

Just felt like a rant, so apologies if this post bored anyone.

I WILL however continue to add to this thread on how the machine is once the rust issue is resolved, and it's up and running.

Despite all the negative feelings, i'm quite impressed by it's heft, and it's presence in the workshop it's really a lovely thing, just hope it won't be too much of a pain to sort these issues.

i got the 6 inch planer from them, it was immaculate and well protected in protective gunk. Wonder if the factory has forgotton to coat it.

Sorry to hear about your experiences, Byron, however at least they sent the wagon out on the same day. Out here in the boonies it is sometimes a couple of days before stuff gets to me if they miss a drop - and being so far out from the depots we are normally last drop, which from experience can be anywhere from 2pm to 6:30pm. As for the driver sitting on his fat derriere eating sarnies, well that's not my experience of them at all - most of the time they seem to be given pretty impossible schedules to keep, but then as I say, that's my experience. One thing I have learned never to do is shout at the delivery man - all that gets you is a complete lack of co-operation and so is counter-productive. The problems I've found are more likely to lie with the traffic office. Many times people in a carriers traffic office will simply lie their heads off to get you off the phone. Ho, hum :roll:

As to the rust - as Waka says Send It Back

Scrit

Hi Guy's.

I'm going to call Lyndhurst back and see what they say, but the last thing I want to do now is try and move it again, let alone package it up seeing as the wooden box it arrived was also broken on delivery.

I might just try and arrange for them to send an engineer out and replace any bad parts, I really can't face the hassle of shifting it again.

Anyways, i'll report back to see what they do.

Update: Just spoken to lyndhurst, and they were very helpful. They quashed some of my fears of it being secondhand, basically, they come boxed from their suppliers, so the problem I think was down to the supplier not coating it in oil and protecting it well enough. Anyways, they've asked me to send over photo's, and they'll provide me with new parts.

The rust on the tables I should think will sand out, hopefully, I can get it sorted without resorting to moving it again.

Byron,

Update: Just spoken to lyndhurst, and they were very helpful. They quashed some of my fears of it being secondhand, basically, they come boxed from their suppliers, so the problem I think was down to the supplier not coating it in oil and protecting it well enough. Anyways, they've asked me to send over photo's, and they'll provide me with new parts.

The rust on the tables I should think will sand out, hopefully, I can get it sorted without resorting to moving it again.

I know that you do not fancy moving it again, but don't let this cloud your judgement because you may regret it in the future. The thing is rusty, and after you supply them with photos, all they can do is offer to send you the new parts for YOU to fit.
IMHO this is not being helpful. They should supply you with a new one, or at the very least send an engineer out to fit the parts and put it in the condition a new machine should have been in the first place. Don't forget on top of the rust the bloody driver was caught lying so they should be bending over backwards to help you. So if you really do not want to send it back and with the above in mind, after they have put the machine right, one or two sets of new blades and a few other bits and pieces would be nice for all the hassle they have caused you.

I know that this is not what you want to hear, but its just my opinion.

Good luck what ever you decide to do.

Cheers

Mike

Really sorry to hear about your experience.

I would think that the least the company should offer is to send out an engineer to correct the problems and test and set up the machine. With, as mentioned some freebies to compensate for your time and trouble.

Personally I would be a bit worried about the rust mentioned and the suggestion that protection was missed out at the factory etc. What else could be wrong (could be a "Friday machine"). I think that if it was me I would be happier with a properly checked (before dispatch) replacement delivered and placed in its new home.

Hope it all turns out well - looking forward to reading your write up in due course

Regards
Tony

Really sorry to hear of your problem.

The issue regarding the carrier and driver is IMHO a red-herring. There is no contract between you and the carrier.

Your contract is with Lyndhurst and to avoid any other problems in the future, I would reject it outright and advise them where they can collect it from. How do you know that something else isn't going to be wrong and then they turn round and say that you fitted the parts incorrectly?

It is not up to you to manhandle it out to the road. Advise them where it can be collected from and also that they will need to send someone out to repack it in a new crate.

I assume that you paid by credit card? Always a good final backstop.

Good luck.

Hi Guy's

Thanks for the feedback, i'm sending over the photo's of the rust to lyndhurst and talking to them again tomorrow to see what can be done, I must say at this stage they have been fine with me, it's only the couriers that have mucked me about.

I think I will either press them for a complete replacement and have them come and pack it and take it away as you suggest roger, OR have an engineer come out and make good the rusty parts

I'll keep this thread updated as it progresses as it may be helpful to others in the future.

Byron

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Poor service like this takes all the pleasure out of buying kit!

FWIW I agree with Roger and the other contributors. TNT are simply agents of Lyndhurst. And either reject the goods outright (I would) or at least get Lyndhurst to accept they should come out to your premises, sort out the faulty parts themselves, and test the kit before leaving site - e.g. what would happen if something else got damaged while you were trying to replace the faulty parts?

I had a similar delivery experience last August when I bought my P/T from Axminster - guess what - the carrier was TNT. The guy turned up late in a van with the pallet perched inside and said that he had no means of offloading it, but he could "roll it off the back" and perhaps SWMBO could help him? Naturally she refused and sent him packing. When I phoned up the depot to complain they said they could deliver the next day, but I would have to provide a pallet truck and offload it myself (their reason being they didn't normally deal with private customers and anyway trade customers have these facilities anyway!). I .. ahem .. challenged them on this point, so they relented and said that they would deliver the next day and provide offloading facilities "as a special favour" - of course, under "normal" circumstances I would be charged extra! After further exchanges, including me reminding them that my contract was with Axminster and not them, I put the phone down. I rang Axminster and they sorted it all out. TNT arrived at 7.30 the next morning - this time it was another driver with a suitable vehicle, tailgate lift etc - much better service.

On a later occasion, TNT delivered a dust extractor in an appalling condition - the packaging was completely clobbered and the parts inside were damaged. So I rang Axminster and rejected it. Needless to say TNT were far more careful the next time!

Big problems come in large pallets! Rant over.

Les

Byron - what you have done is perfectly reasonable. Most suppliers of consumer goods tell you to check the contents (usually against a parts list) after opening the packaging and report any defects or missing items. Workshop machinery should not be any different. If you had not opened the crate, how else would you have found the rusty tables and other components? In any case, opening the crate did not cause the thing to become rusty!

Hope this helps.

Les

BB.

If it's only rust thats the problem, why not use the rust a a bargaining tool.
rust is easily removed imho. I use wonderwheels and a silicone free oil. and shouldn't take long to clean up.

And with the bargain you negotiated you'll have some funds for even more tools :) .

Most of the weight is due to the cast iron if this is replaced what happens to the rusty stuff its not going to be easy to deal with and changing the bed needs good tools and assistance then there is re aligning the tables its looking like a days work to change and adjust parts, a replacement m/c is the best solution. Cleaning the rust off and some compensation( you will get two sets of knifes easy) another way . One last thing have a look at the fence for damage it use to be a regular problem.

Roger Sinden":1blkl6vl said:
ByronBlack":1blkl6vl said:
But is it too late for me to reject the item now that I have unpacked/broken the crate and pallet?

Certainly not - otherwise how would you know whether it was OK or not.

I totally agree. Byron you are being very reasonable. You bought the P/T not the packaging. As had been said your contract is with the supplier not the carrier. It is for the supplier to sort out issues with the carrier - I have had similar experience with deliveries to my customers from carriers such as TNT.

I really do think you should reject this machine - you have rights under sale of goods and trading standards. I would imagine that the supplier will support you without needing to refer to such.

Tony

If you can't be hassled with sending it back, they should, at the very least come and clean it up for you.

Personally I'd send it back.

Good luck
Dom

Hi chaps

I really appreciate alll your comments, points and advice, I think I will demand to have a completely new machine as I think my confidence in it will be low even with new parts fitted.

Is it standard practice for the supplier to arrange to come and pack the item and remove it from the workshop - i've never sent back such a large item before

under the supply of goods act 1979 you have the right to reject the goods.
the item is not fit for its intended purpose therefore the cost of replacement and removal is down to them.
saying that they will probably just say ok and sorry anyway, and i certainly dont want to hang them before they even know about it. For all i know they are a very respectable company :)
But at least you are armed :wink:

Back