The Beast has landed.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lyndhurst have failed to get back to me today, not answering their phone, not returning messages, and email failing to get through, not a good start.

The machine is in worse condition than I first thought, i've had a thorough look at it today and have found more rust and have noticed that one of the beds actually has some quite deep pitting. I think I might just get my money back and go elsewhere.

Here are the pics i've sent them:

429479283_521fdc64b0.jpg

429479224_b712cd74e4.jpg

429479176_3e0fe5c734.jpg

This is some new rust I didn't notice before:

429479129_2a3be9d356.jpg

429479070_9dbf17d45a.jpg

429478893_1c6ff865d3.jpg

429478815_a7ae193b4b.jpg

429478696_6e701e8101.jpg

When I get my refund, i'm thinking of going for a standalone thicknesser, and use a router table or thicknesser jig for jointing, or perhaps the aluminium Metabo unit - no worries of rust there. I'm very downbeat about the whole experience now and there's me thinking I got a good invenstment for the future and bargain. ohwell, back to the drawing board. Maybe my initial naive idea of a hand-tool only workshop isn't so naive afterall.

Supra - I've since sent them an email requesting a full refund and demanding that they send someone to come and pack it and take it away, there's no chance i'm risking my back again trying to move it.

Chris, some of the rust may look superificial, but I tried to scrape some off and it seemed quite deep, and besides, after reading the comments in this thread, I just feel that I shouldn't be accepting a machine in this condition, it's not like a paid a fiver for it, and to be honest I just want the thing out of my workshop.

Whats more useful in a small workshop, a jointer or thicknesser?

If you have any problems with them let me know :wink:
as for which is more important i am quite new to the workshop myself, and bought the perform range cheap but cheerful and i am impressed with both, i would have to say the thicknesser is the more important for me though.
Besides which you can joint on the router or by hand quite easily.

More experienced members might tell you otherwise though.

yep and the perform jointer, both very good.
i think the thicknesser needs sharpening though, and i have had no experience with any others

Byron

Maybe you need to take a day or two to get over the initial disappointment? I agree with Chris that the rust seems mainly superficial and should not affect its operation.

I am sure if you bought a new car with rust like that on it. that it would not affect the operation but would you accept the car?...nah dont think so. The man has paid his money and deserves his moneys worth. Send it back.

Seeing those pics, just had to add my comments.

To send a new machine out in that state is absolutely disgusting. The supplier should be ashamed that they let it slip through and offer you the chance of a full refund plus some compensation. I appreciate the comments that it may be only superficial rust that can dealt with easily. However you purchased a new machine and should expect no such blemishes.

I know how despondent I would feel after such events. Even though you have not had a quick answer (someone is probably having to seek management ok before dealing with this)I suspect that the company will comply with your request for a full refund.

Good luck

Tony

FelderMan":5irfnrv0 said:
BB.

If it's only rust thats the problem, why not use the rust a a bargaining tool.
rust is easily removed imho. I use wonderwheels and a silicone free oil. and shouldn't take long to clean up.

And with the bargain you negotiated you'll have some funds for even more tools :) .

BB, looking at your pics I agree with Chris & Old. and like I said in my prev post and above. Use the rust as a bargaining tool, you could end up with a very good cheap machine. No offence here but you didn't pay top money for it and another discount on top for the bit of rust you get a very good machine for even less dosh. imho clean it up and enjoy it.

Hi Guy's

again, I really appreciate all your comments it's pretty easy to see that i'm rather annoyed by the whole episode. I'm going to wait and see what Lyndhurst do now that i've requested a refund and sent them the pictures.

OLD - thats a wonderful thread that you linked to, I really enjoyed reading that, but to be fair I paid a good sum for a supposed new machine, if I had the time and expertise I would love to re-furb something like that.

Felderman - again, you make some good points, I think it'll all boil down to how much Lyndhurst value me as a customer and how far they would be willing to go to keep me as a customer, at the end of the day i've made my feelings known to them via phone-message and email, so I guess it's down to them.

I'll update the thread again tomorrow if I hear back from them.

Again, I want to extend my thanks to everyone that has posted on this thread, lots of good and alternative advice that has given me some options to consider.

I agree with everyone :roll: either use it as a bargaining tool to get a further discount and then claen it up. Or if they refuse that then a full refund. Just by demanding your rights for the refund would cost them heavily in transport and pickup costs (and remind them of that) so it will probably be cheaper for them to give you a large discount :wink: but i totally understand your dissapointment

Well this is giving me a severe case of de ja vu all over again. Wasn't rust in my case, and a bandsaw instead of a P/T, but it left a very unpleasant taste in the mouth. I completely understand where you're coming from, BB. If it helps, I ended up with a different saw (and a £100 loss - thank you, Rutlands) but I did get peace of mind. Also an unswerving dseire to never have to deal with NMA's idea of customer service ever again...

Good luck with it - hope it goes better than mine did.

Cheers, Alf

Byron.
Sorry to hear the problems your having.
I would send it back myself,and ask for a replacement.You don't know what other problems you might have later with this one.
Good luck.
Paul.J.

Oh dear, Byron, the pictures look pretty awful to me, unless of course you had opted to buy a rather shop soiled machine at a very hefty discount. This saw is most definitely NOT in 'new' condition, which is what you've paid for. Dealing with this sort of thing leaves a very sour taste in the mouth, sympathies...
regards, Ivan

By the way, if you let them repair it, and then find yet more problems later, the fact you allowed a repair means you legally 'accepted' the machine, and so cannot then decide to reject it. In a similar type of situation I discussed the problem with trading standards who were very helpful, and said for this reason 'reject it now'. You could try ringing them in Bristol, to see if they 'know' of this supplier?

Byron you have to decide for yourself what to do, but after seeing the photos there is no way I would keep it. Yes some of the rust may be superficial but the pitting certainly isn't.
We are talking about a new machine here which you may have got slightly cheaper, but you did not get a discount because it was shop solid, an ex-demo, or anything such like. IMHO it does not matter that you bought a P/T at the cheaper end of the market, you should still be supplied with a machine that is in good condition .
I agree with Tiler99, if you bought a new car, even though it does not affect the operation, you would not accept it if it was rusting and pitted.

Ivan is also correct, if you let them repair the machine you are then deem as legally accepting it, and if something else happens you cannot then reject it.

I can understand where some members are coming from when they advise you to use the rust as a bargaining tool, in fact I said something like it in my first post, but after seeing the photos I would not keep it.

As for Lyndhurst not replying to your emails etc, this could be that after receiving the photos they have contacted the manufacturers and are awaiting to hear from them.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Cheers

Mike

Resolution!

I got a call back from lyndhurst today to discuss the problem and I was somewhat put-out by the direction this took. First of all after re-explaining my problem and disatisfaction all I got were excuses/reasons/objections as to why they can't/wont come out to collect the machine.

I argued that the crate and pallets that it was delivered on were broken, so it's not up to me to find an alternative means of packaging the item up for a courier to come and collect.

This lead to an impass. They couldn't be bothered and didn't want to collect/pack the item, TNT don't offer that as a service, and nor will they collect it from the workshop, and I don't want to re-pack the item in some form of crate and lift it again out to an access road.

He also went on to say that if the product came back to him smashed/broken during transit due to mis-packing that I wouldn't get a refund! What a cheek!!

The overall attitude was very poor and quite dismissive. Quote: "It's only a four hundred quid machine mate, it'll cost me two hundred quid just to come out and get it"

He then went on to say that if I did want them to collect it, I would have to wait for an unspecified time in the future when their van is down my way so they can come and get it. Quote: "Might be a few weeks, could be a month, we don't know really".

After much displeasure expressed from myself, he started to re-think and came up with the brilliant idea that he would send me a brand new machine to replace this one, and that I could then place the old machine int he new crate/pallet and have the collected the following week!

Reluctantly I agreed.

He then got the photo's that I emailed him, and called me back about 15 mins later making a big hooharr about the rust only being cosmetic and the pitting not affecting the working of the machine!! Quote: "It's iron mate, it will always rust, just the way it is" - not for a bloody new machine it's not!!

Anyways, eventually, we agreed that it's a lot of hassle to move it and send it back, so he has refunded me the cost of the delivery, which was an overpriced £67 and a guarentee that he'll replace any parts in the future that don't clean up or get further damaged, the machine has a 2 year full replacement warrenty.

So thats that.

I'm not happy with their attitude or their unwillingness to provide a collection. I'm also not happy with their dismissivness and lack of understanding.

However, I kept in mind what a lot of you said on this thread, and decided I would be better of keeping it, making good of it, and using the refund for something else, afterall i've now got the machine for £400 all in with delivery, so a bit of fettling/cleaning and fingers crossed it should be ok, failing that, i'll get a new one free of delivery charge to replace it.

Not ideal, but the best outcome given the circumstances.

Cheers for all your help/advice on the matter, I can now finally get the thing put together, setup and running.

Byron.
I should now get it working ASAP.Give it a good running to see if there are any other problems.Fingers crossed.
Talk is cheap as they say.
Paul.J.

Back