The Ashes - no mention for heaven's sake

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tim

Established Member
Reaction score
Just go back in from a new client's house (have the deposit cheque to prove) and expected to find a large amount of post Ashes handover exchanges.

But no :shock: :shock: :shock: nothing.

Why not. It was magic - buggered up my work schedules all summer and made me sit inside on some of the finest weather days this year including possibly the last two days of summer.

Was it magic - yes it was! The best part for me (aside from the obvious win and serious cricket) was the brilliant relationship between the two teams and the obvious respect that they showed each other. As Stephen Fry described it this morning (I was doing design work in front of the box honest) its not chicken nugget sport but a five course game.

Brilliant - and so sad to see some great names go - Warne, McGrath and Benaud. Much respect due.

Cheers

Tim

Exactly as you have said, Tim.

I have been enthralled by the whole series, having watched every match, but don't think I could have taken much more. An absolutely superb example of sport at its best. I cannot find superlatives enough to describe it.

My enduring memory is of Freddie Flintoff immediately going to console Brett Lee, after he was out resulting in England winning by 2 runs, before joining the celebrations with his team mates. Freddie's dignity and compassion in that instant epitomised, for me, the spirit in which the series was played and produced a truly great sporting moment.

Thanks to Oz for the part they played - weren't easy to beat were they?

But I'm thrilled that England regained the Ashes.

Cheers,

Trev.

I think a lot of us are still in shock that England managed not to throw it away on the last day. :lol:

It does rather show up one day and Twenty20 cricket as the fabricated "tension" it is, doesn't it? Good Test match cricket has all the tension and excitement you could ever need. Great Test match cricket has almost too much to bear! :shock: Freddie commiserating with Brett Lee is a given, but I was also mightily impressed when Brett Lee bowled whoever-it-was and the bails didn't come off. He just walked up to the stumps and lifted them off to check they weren't glued on. No hysterics, no raging and shouting, just a wry grin. An excellent series to remember for the next 5 years until I see some cricket again (not even channel 5 in this hell hole). :cry:

Bet Freddie's got a stinking headache this morning... :twisted: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Woodwork in this neck of the woods has been curtailed to the hours before 10.30 am and after 6.00 pm for several days over the last month. And we're not normally sports fans*! I've really enjoyed watching this series. It's certainly been the most exciting since the Headingly test in 1981 and probably the most enjoyable ever, largely due to the sportsmanship of the teams. Will we ever forget the Aussies coming out of the hutch wearing their sunglasses after bad light stopped play :lol: ?

The skill the teams displayed was awesome and it's such a shame that we'll never see Shane Warne rampant again in this country at Test level. I don't care what price England would have to pay - it would be worth it just to see that bowler in action once more.

If Freddie celebrated to excess afterwards, he'll get no criticism from me - I only wish I could have been there.

Gill

*His Lordship supports Birmingham City so he doesn't qualify as being a football fan.

Its cricket :roll: , and not many youngsters are into it. and as I am young at hart :lol: :lol:

I prefer the more fast paced sports where the adrenaline gets pumped around :wink:

Mcluma":3dn0ybys said:
Its cricket :roll: , and not many youngsters are into it......

.....and there are reasons for that, details of which I will not go into on this Forum, but in the main not the fault of the youngsters.

Reported yesterday: sales of cricket bats are up 75% this summer!

Cheers,

Trev.
(for whom the mainly processional Formula 1, the fastest of all, has no affect on his adrenaline. But each to his own, of course. :wink: )

Just back from hols. Only managed about half a dozen 5 minutes sessions in front of the radio on the final day at the Oval. Brilliant stuff.

The celebrations even made it onto French TV news!

Andy

Latest posts

Back