The Apprentice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I watched this weeks episode last night and was gobsmacked to see they sold the tours at a fixed price without even knowing what their costs were going to be.

How could that possibly work ?

I watched this weeks episode last night and was gobsmacked to see they sold the tours at a fixed price without even knowing what their costs were going to be.

How could that possibly work ?

It can work quite well

... in about 1% of cases. For the other 99% it borders on car crash business methods.

I often wonder if the main and sub teams have limited telephone access to one another during the first day. We only seem to see them on the phone a couple of times. If they have a reasonable amount of contact you'd think that each would trade off each other and there would be some strategy in the planning. So, the costs of each activity, the wishes of the customer and the budget available would be common knowledge. The directors cut of each episode almost always portrays them internally squabbling and looking to be top dog. You'd think that the concept of team work was not allowed in The Apprentice - well, I would, anyway.

I was thinking that anyone going to Aston Martin shouldn't be expecting a cheap day.

I'd have offered a bronze, silver and gold package at suitable prices, maybe that wasn't allowed.

The Apprentice, like most reality TV, started intelligently and since then has descended into lowest common denominator garbage in search of viewer numbers.

Contestants are clearly selected based on their capacity for their egotistical pantomime, not their business skills. Even a cursory examination of business plans, CV honesty, and claimed business success would show most to be very flawed.

The best one can say of the show is that if some people like it - great. To me it is cruel - mocking the inadequacies of those whose self confidence far exceeds their real ability. A bit like poking fun at the fat guy because he can't run very fast.

This probably should be in the joke thread, but I wouldn't want to gum that thread up - best to save it for real jokes rather than total jokes:

I know it's about entertainment and not really about proper business and I know that it is edited for television gratification rather than commercial content, but are the producers of The Apprentice doing their very best to find the most arrogant yet inept future business people? This year's crop seem to be an order of magnitude worse than the previous pre Covid lot.

While I'm hardly an example of Britain's best business person, I like to think that I have some idea and have managed to prove it to myself when we had our own company, but it seems clear to me that arrogance, aggression and stupidity is not a substitute for age, experience and common sense. Sadly, the three last traits seem to be totally lacking in this years crop.

All of that said, the programme is still astonishingly good, cringe worthy, televisual entertainment!
Never watch it - bear bating for the woke generation 🤦‍♂️

And actually knowing what "woke" means if for the younger generation?

Latest posts

Back