That's a shame after 200+ years..... UPDATED

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yes, I thought that.

There appear to be matched pairs of H&Rs in there, plus other stuff, which are best kept united.... unless, of course they went to the same buyer.

There was an intermittent debate on various forums about a guy who bought quite nice old tools (at auction or yard sales in the US) and sold them on eBay, split up for parts.

He did this because they fetched more money as parts than they did as whole tools, and he was a full time dealer, trying to make the best living he could.

BugBear

Hell, :shock: I have both sets handed down from my father. ( I wouldn't sell them even at a price like that ) I still use them, in fact only two days ago to make up some moulding.

Sets of H&Rs are nice to have, but I use (and only require) three sets - 6, 10, and 12.

I mainly use them in conjunction with a plough for making the grounds for Linen Fold panels.

Must confess, I could do with a pair of decent Snipe Bills.
Each time a good candidate comes up (on Fleabay) they go for daft money - beyond me, anyway.

But, it's insane to split up a matched pair of anything.

I'd rather see tools that were bought together kept together, but with hollows and rounds it's not as if you need both planes to do a single job. So what looks like (and is) a pair of planes will rarely be used together. Indeed, many composite mouldings will have convex and concave elements in quite different sizes.

From a purely commercial POV, I'd have thought you'd do better either selling them as pairs (in the traditional manner), or even as individual planes - but all hollows and all rounds? Odd. Or perhaps it's a result of eBay costs of which I know nothing. So did they fetch more than individual planes get these days? I'm hopelessly out of touch on the going rate.

When these planes were new, I'd expect that full or half sets were priced beyond the reach of most craftsmen even if they had a use for a set.

Pairs often get split up nowadays, but was it customary to sell HR&s as a single-size matched pair when they were first sold new or were they sold individually as needed?

Argus":1i2vpd3l said:

When these planes were new, I'd expect that full or half sets were priced beyond the reach of most craftsmen even if they had a use for a set.

Pairs often get split up nowadays, but was it customary to sell HR&s as a single-size matched pair when they were first sold new or were they sold individually as needed?

That's a good question. A quick look at some old catalogues shows that they were always sold in pairs, or sets of pairs. Here are some extracts at random:

George Collier 1898 - skew mouth only, 4/8 per pair (Half set, 9 pairs, 38/6)

Melhuish 1921 - all sizes up to no 12 - square mouth 4/- per pair; skew mouth 4/6. (Half set, 9 pairs square mouth 35/6 or skew 41/-. Full set of 18 pairs 70/- or 79/6.)

Melhuish 1925 - skew mouth only - up to no 15; 10/- a pair (Half set 89/- full set 178/- ie £8-18s.) [what a hike! Move over Axminster 2012!]

Buck and Hickman 1935 - up to no 15 - square mouth 8/8 pair; skew 9/8 (Half sets 80/- or 89/- Full sets 160/- or 178/-)

Back