That slippery slope....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beej

Reaction score
I suspect that I am one of many invisible weekend timewasters who log in to learn, but rarely contribute. What can we tell you? But what we can learn is much appreciated. Enough grovelling...
I have a rather nasty wooden boat problem and thus a useful set of the usual suspects in my plane wardrobe: sweethearts 3,4,7,LA knucklecap block and various others, but they got most of the work until recently, when I had to have a look over that edge myself, returning quite safely, with no intention of going back, with an HNT Gordon smoother and shoulder (gorgeous!).LOVE that HA on Australian hardwoods
Having got back from the edge I realised that I WAS IN CONTROL. I could safely go there again. I can give up any time I want to....
So, although I'm not actually going to do it, you understand, which of the LVs with a high angle /low angle pair of blades would be the more all-round useful, does the panel think? I'm asking for a friend who's too shy to ask...
Don't waste my time with second or even third choices.
cheers

Chuckle :lol: :lol:

beej":1u90am9z said:
I suspect that I am one of many invisible weekend timewasters who log in to learn, but rarely contribute. What can we tell you?
Ooo, lots. What you've done, any epiphanies you might have had, all sorts. We need more tails of daring do, however simple they may seem to be to the daring do-er. :D

Anyway, one L-V bevel up... :-k The BUPP with an extra 38° blade, without a doubt. That'll do end grain, most hardwoods, shooting, a certain amount of jointing. Yep, definitely.

Of course the whole issue of choosing one is another matter entirely... [-X :wink:

Cheers, Alf

I'm with you, beej. I don't have a problem, I don't have a, I don't have...that's it, I don't have [insert wanted tool name here] and I need one...

Oh, the list is long, and the slope is so steep. I could think more clearly if I hadn't hit the bottom of the slope so many times.

The BUPP will be a good addition to your present tools.

And btw, I don't think (aha, that's my real problem!) that I've welcomed you, so welcome to the site.

Managed to forget my password about three times in a row, so my apolgies for not getting back to thank you for confirming what I really already knew....it's just that smoothers are so, well, you know.
But it's allupside: I reaise that I don't use my domestic-stanley-copy #5 much,because it's not much of a plane. What we have here is a clear case of NEED and nothing, absolutely nothing,to do with envy or spendthriftery.

Thanks for turning me back from the slope.

And how do the best of the new ega smoothers perform against the real thoroughbreds? If all my Norrises and Spiers weren't at the laundry I'd let you know myself.

Alf":vwmnp9x7 said:
Anyway, one L-V bevel up... :-k The BUPP with an extra 38° blade, without a doubt.

Hmm. BUPP, so what's that then? :-k
BU I can see must be Bevel Up, but what about the PP?
Ah, I know, it must be Power Planer
So that must be a Bevel Up Power Planer then. :whistle:

What's this? Alf recommending a tailed demon? :-s Gotta be something wrong somewhere.

Oh hang on, where's that search button?

Ah ha. Here it is.
BUPP = Bevel Up Panel Plane

Few, was getting all worried there for a moment.

Cheers,
Barry.

Move over Gill, I'm diving for cover.

MAIAFVBUP*

I see BUS is catching on, but BUPP still remains in the traps. :(

Cheers, Alf

*My Arbitary and Idiosyncratic Acronyms For Veritas Bevel-Up Planes, of course. What else? :roll:

Well Beej, I am going to make a different choice to my esteemed friends here.

Since you wrote
of the LVs with a high angle /low angle pair of blades would be the more all-round useful
, I am sure that everyone was so fired up to recommend the LV BU Smoother, that they did not actually take in what you asked.

The BU Smoother is indeed a fantastic smoother. It is the Smoother's Smoother - if the smoothers of this world ever decide to get together and vote. But is is a plane that is dedicated to smoothing only, which is not what you requested. You said "all-round useful" (tsk, tsk, fellas).

In which case there are two planes to consider:

For smaller to medium sized work, consider the LV LA Smoother. This is a superb smoother that can also be used on a shooting board.

For medium to larger panels, consider the LV LA Jack. This can be used as a terrific smoother (or, rather, panel plane) for larger work, a short jointer, and a superior plane for a shooting board.

Both these planes are bevel up configurations and will take blades from 25 degrees upwards (the world's your oyster).

Regards from Perth

Derek

Well Beej, I am going to make a different choice to my esteemed friends here.

...I am sure that everyone was so fired up to recommend the LV BU Smoother, that they did not actually take in what you asked.

...You said "all-round useful" (tsk, tsk, fellas).

...For medium to larger panels, consider the LV LA Jack. ..
Uh, that's what was said, mate...BUPP...he's got a 3,4,7...the BUPP would be a nice round out, as well as th shooting board aspect...otherwise know as a LA Jack...

But hey, it's OK... :lol:

Mmm, I associated BU with BU smoother. BUt (when I read more carefully - isn't this the pot calling the kettle black!) it was used as acronym for the LA Jack. Stop confusing me Alf! You know that it doesn't take much, especially after 1:00 a.m. :lol:

And you Mike - shouldn't you be working or something? :D

Regards from Perth

Derek

And you Mike - shouldn't you be working or something? :D

Regards from Perth

Derek

Guilty as charged...but at "least" I'm at the computer instead of the shop.

btw, in another thread I will not point you to :shock: I mention taking the roller off THE guide and, well, throwing it on the lathe... :roll:

Anyway, I was responding to a PM, and now I'm going to throw a couple pictures in the off topic area from our hippies in the big woods days...

mikew said he has hit the bottom of the slope so many times :shock: alf hasn't even seen the bottom of the slope yet :whistle:

Thanks again to all. Derek's comment that the smoother was really just a smoother but which could be used more roughly hit the nail on the head: it's the jack I need.

I'm making various bits -some new and some replacement - for our wooden boat ranging from hatches to interior fittings out of an extremely figured Qld Maple flitch, and I've realised that getting the surface down to where a smoother starts is the essence of the problem. And since my NEED has become so transparent, the cheque has already gone off!

P.S. The advantage of figured timber is that I hope people will just look at the timber and not see the quality of the joinery. There;s nothing like learning on the job.....

Back