That one missing woodturning tool !!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lefley

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
What is that one tool that you wish you had but just have not ever bought or added to your arsenal?
I have so many large Burl pieces and for years have looked at the Oneway coring system. It’s expensive. $900 Canadian for the whole set up. But I know I could recoup the money in coring a few burls. But life always gets in the way. And I never get it. I am Thinking of welding up a holder for the mcnaughton system as I see I can buy single replacement knifes for there system, but they do not sell the essential tool holder seperate.

Lefley,
like u I want to turn v/large root balls n burls in Olive wood....looking at least 1.5m dia to start and seen a few a bit bigger.....
keep looking at those coring tools.....way to expensive....
have studied both the popular types and think I will have a go at making my own.....

I'm not sure those regular tools will be of much use after the first couple of bowl blanks....

Lefley,
like u I want to turn v/large root balls n burls in Olive wood....looking at least 1.5m dia to start and seen a few a bit bigger.....
keep looking at those coring tools.....way to expensive....
have studied both the popular types and think I will have a go at making my own.....

I'm not sure those regular tools will be of much use after the first couple of bowl blanks....
I’m of the same mindset. Still trying to find curved metal that I can fashion something out of. There has to be a cheap option somehow for us frugal Woodturners.

I’m of the same mindset. Still trying to find curved metal that I can fashion something out of. There has to be a cheap option somehow for us frugal Woodturners.
Curved wheel wrench with tip attachment welded on and a massive turned oak handle?!!

Cheers James

That 0.5 micron, 6" ducted Bill Pentz dust extractor with 6 foot cyclone system, $4,277 + tax, then plus shipping, plus import duty and plus VAT, oh and a £7,500 workshop extension to put it in, plus the ducting, that should finally stop the dust from my little Kity 513 bandsaw,😂🤣😅🤣😂🤣😅

1634508091632.png

That 0.5 micron, 6" ducted Bill Pentz dust extractor with 6 foot cyclone system, $4,277 + tax, then plus shipping, plus import duty and plus VAT, oh and a £7,500 workshop extension to put it in, plus the ducting, that should finally stop the dust from my little Kity 513 bandsaw,😂🤣😅🤣😂🤣😅

View attachment 119862
Looks like that would suck you up if you got to close,

120 quid.... Seems about right.... I'm just dubious about trying a cheap Chinese one, it alway ends in tears 😂

getting back on topic, I'd love one of the Woodcut pro form tools. They look really nice to use, I'm not sure my lathe has enough oomph to take full advantage of one though.

What is that one tool that you wish you had but just have not ever bought or added to your arsenal?
I have so many large Burl pieces and for years have looked at the Oneway coring system. It’s expensive. $900 Canadian for the whole set up. But I know I could recoup the money in coring a few burls. But life always gets in the way. And I never get it. I am Thinking of welding up a holder for the mcnaughton system as I see I can buy single replacement knifes for there system, but they do not sell the essential tool holder seperate.

I bought the Woodcut Bowlsaver direct from New Zealand with three blades but it will set you back about £600 and the UK charge some tax. You will need about 2HP lathe motor. They also sell a lazer guide. Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back