That 'Burning' Question.....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

santiniuk

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello folks,

I’m not sure if it’s a symptom of being an engineer that has guided me down this route or the fact I’m a geek! :shock:

I wasn’t happy using Tea Light candles surrounded by my wood turnings without understanding what temperatures I was actually exposing the wood to. (Discussed in a previous thread on here)

So with the loan of a piece of lab kit from work, I thermo-coupled my new creation in 4 different places to give an overview of what the temperatures were. At the same time it’s answered exactly how long they actually burn for. (Not that it’s particularly interesting!)

The pictures show the placement of the sensors.

Channel 1 - Bottom
Channel 2 - Top metal lip
Channel 3 - Side
Channel 4- Top wood edge.

(I think this is a reasonable spread)

The graph shows the temperatures recorded for a full candle… Which burned for Just under 3.5 Hours. A lot longer than I expected.

I feel comfortable that the wood isn’t exposed to severe temperature but it is higher than I expected.
Like all candles I’m going to advise anyone I give one, to ensure they are not left unattended.

The bottom sensor peaked at just over 85 Deg C.

Experiment over…. I really do need to get out more….. :roll:

Cheers

Shaun

DSCN1491800x600.jpg

DSCN1492800x600.jpg

DSCN1495800x600.jpg

tealight.jpg

Don't forget that the wood that you use will also have some influence on the safety. Hard woods such as oak and beech will be less prone to burning than pine for example. I wouldn't advise using pitch pine, I can remember using a branch as a torch when I was a kid, lighting it with a match.

Pete

santiniuk":8bxfs3t1 said:
So with the loan of a piece of lab kit from work...

Pico do indeed make some wonderful kit, but at a price. :shock:

I have the 4ch Picoscope and am minus two of my limbs. :D

Thanks for that,Shaun - it's hotter than I would have guessed :shock:
Have you got any discolouring in the timber from the heat ?

Andrew

I made a pumpkin lantern the other day and managed to cook the lid with a tea light in very short order, I am duly chastised.

It just goes to show what a 'head in the sand' sort of life I have been leading. I have never given this a thought and must have made hundreds of these candle holders.

One thing though, all my friends are still around, and still talking to me :twisted: I've not burnt any down yet!

NickWelford":7isxwke4 said:
I saw some electric tealights at the weekend...........

Meantime Design sell the best ones 6 for £10

john

EDIT: Link fixed, also they are available in different colours if you can find them.

mickster":26aa684s said:
santiniuk":26aa684s said:
So with the loan of a piece of lab kit from work...

Pico do indeed make some wonderful kit, but at a price. :shock:

I have the 4ch Picoscope and am minus two of my limbs. :D

I agree, it's quite useful kit but the prices are increasing. (I remember when it was more cheap n chearful).
Saying that the last work scope we purchased a Tektronix TDS5054 nearly set us back 10K and thats quite a few years ago :shock:

Never noticed any discolouring Andrew but guess the wood type would be a factor here.

I'm intrigued at the electric tealight Johns. Have you used them ?

Do they look ok ?

Thanks

Back