Thanks guys, I have just got my free tv license

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I enquired if I could repeat last years licence as all of the programs were repeats.....but they said NO! Bummer! :evil:

I suppose you can always ditch you TV and license these days and watch i/player etc. on the PC ?

Rarely watch live tv anyway, its nearly all recorded stuff to view when we want,and go to bed earlier.

bugbear":22l5e0hb said:
devonwoody":22l5e0hb said:
Your subsidy is much appreciated. :) :) :) :wink:

Well, can I just thank you (in turn) for paying my university fees. ;-)

BugBear

Yes that is another of life problems.

One of our daughters has three children, one has got lumbered with the £10k the other two had much less.

I suppose you can always ditch you TV and license these days and watch i/player etc. on the PC ?

I'll think you'll find John that in the small print you need one for watching via a PC (even iplayer) as well but don't quote me on this.

Steve

Steve Jones, I am amazed we dont have a tax duty to pay on the ownership or use of a computer.

Of course Mac users should pay more, :wink: :) :) (they cost more)

One of our daughters has three children, one has got lumbered with the £10k the other two had much less

If you consider they are getting 'lumbered' with the fee then perhaps they are not doing the right course? The cost of a course has not risen 3 fold, rather the source of the funding has altered to be placed on the participant rather than the general public. The education of the other two grandchildren also cost 10k, but they were fortunate enough that an alternative funding stream was in place at the time. I do wonder whether alot of the argument against tuition fees is more to do with envy that others got it cheaper in the past rather than anger at the price of education per se.

Steve

devonwoody":1c5v6i1w said:
Steve Jones, I am amazed we dont have a tax duty to pay on the ownership or use of a computer.

I am surprised too Woody, but I rarely mention it. The thinkers at Whitehall, sitting on their backsides, get enough wild ideas, without us helping them.

:lol: :lol:
John

Benchwayze":306adrlq said:
devonwoody":306adrlq said:

I am surprised too Woody, but I rarely mention it. The thinkers at Whitehall, sitting on their backsides, get enough wild ideas, without us helping them.

:lol: :lol:
John

Plus 10% internet buying tax, (with the suggestion that high street council type tax then be subsidized with the windfall)

I dont know how Brown missed that one. :wink: :)

wobblycogs":1oi4y0wx said:
There's no need to have a TV license if you only watch "catch up" shows on iPlayer. You do need a licence if you watch live over the internet. Obviously you always need a license if you have a TV.

Straight from the horses mouth: http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/help/playing_tv_progs/tvlicence

This is true wobbly... The warning comes up on the screen when you attempt to watch live, and you have to click through. You mustn't tell lies of course!

I am hoping my 'no licence' status includes watching via PC then! Otherwise I might have been fibbing inadvertently!

Regards
John :D

Interesting link, wobbly. The one thing that struck me was that you need a licence even if you record the programmes while they are being broadcast for watching at a later date....so, sorry, dw...you'd still need a licence.

The only way round that would be, as has already been said, to watch using iPlayer or 4oD but then you might get a stroppy email from your ISP and/or have to pay for the additional bandwidth that you are using ....plus the quality of your ISP/bandwidth etc could become an issue.....especially when all the kids sharing your contention rate start playing online games.

RogerS":1yp4ckdd said:
plus the quality of your ISP/bandwidth etc could become an issue.....especially when all the kids sharing your contention rate start playing online games.
Correctamundo. Had no contact from my ISP even though I use online viewing a fair amount but..... they do throttle your bandwidth during certain hours if you're downloading a lot. That can make viewing almost impossible at those times. Not much of a problem for me being insomniwhatsit as I'm usually watching during the wee small hours but not much good otherwise.

If I might suggest you switch to Be http://www.bethere.co.uk/ if you download a lot each month. They aren't the cheapest by a long stretch but when they say unlimited they (appear to) mean unlimited. I can easily get through several hundred GB/month of data and they don't seem to mind. Speeds tend to be very good and there is no throttling or other traffic shaping.

Back