Thanks everyone with your assistance on my TV cabinet

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyBoyd

Established Member
Reaction score
Well after a year and ~240 hours it's finally in the house:

100_1465.JPG

I had lots of help from board members from where to buy brass, laminate trimmers to fit the hinges and many more.

Its made from Swiss steamed pear (solid frame, drawers and top), self cut pear veneer for the doors (back and front), pear veneered multiplex, and walnut for the drawer sides, foot, and wings.

Thanks everyone,

and if you would like to see the construction photos -

see here http://croeso.typepad.com/photos/furniture/index.html

Gosh, Andy, that's a bit different from what "TV cabinet" usually conjures up in my mind's eye. :shock: Pretty darn cool. Love the colour of the pear; what's the finish?

Cheers, Alf

Alf,

I had another go at making it work, maybe I edoited out your fix!!

The finish is Bartleys Varnish gel - which is super, about 3 coats. really easy to put on if you keep your coats really thin.

Thanks for the kind comments every one

That's a very graceful, almost oriental, piece of furniture, Andy. Well done.

The only problem is it's so lovely that it could distract you from watching your television programmes ;) :) !

Gill

Right, I've worked my way through all the photos now; very interesting and thank you for letting us see them, Andy. I love a good wallow in someone elses WIP pics. :D But I have one very important question. What spokeshaves?!. Me? Obsessed? Only a little bit... :oops:

Cheers, Alf

Lovely piece of work.
I love the curved up edges of the top. And pear, eh?? NICE! Never used pear before. It looks lovely and seems to finish very well.
Thanks for the WIP pics!

Hmm, they are not there, they usually sit in front of the scraper plane?
I must have been using them!
I have a set of Harris spoke shaves from London (I think!) Well one spoke shave and one travisher.

I'll take another photo as I've just replaced my Footprint chisels with Ashley Iles's ones and they make the whole cupboard seems a lot more balanced.

The pear was a little difficult to work as it can micro split very easily when it is veneered (i.e too much with the ROS!) . But it planed like a dream.

One thing I forgot to mention was the piece de la resistance, in between the drawers is a small black square, it is a sensor for the infra red remote control signals, this goes to an amplifier which then feeds 2 IR LEDs, placed so they shine on the DVD and the Amp. So we can zap away with the door shut - and the circuit only cost me 12 quid!
http://www.circuit-innovations.co.uk/repeater.html

Here's a better photo showing the colour:

100_1382.JPG

And here is one showing the fabled spokeshaves:

100_1228.JPG

Very nice work Andy. The pear looks fantastic. Well done! :)

Thanks for that information on the infraret repeater, as i am currently also building one TV unit

Could you give us some more pictures on the Infra red repeater

Thanks

McLuma

AndyBoyd":1cce75eg said:
And here is one showing the fabled spokeshaves:
Houston, we have spokeshave. :D Phew, I can stop worrying about it now. Thanks, Andy. :wink:

Chris, keen? Yes. Cheap? No. [-( :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Alf":2djuccq0 said:
Houston, we have spokeshave. :D Phew, I can stop worrying about it now

Alf, you'd better not look at my tool rack photos as you may upset yourself :oops: :whistle:

In my defence I did have an old record spokeshave and after a bit of work performed beautifully but when I unpacked it from the move, it had broken in two :|

Back