Thanks and Observations

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aldel

Established Member
Reaction score
Well this forum has now reached over 800 members and so it must have something special for it to be so successful, in fact I think I may be becoming addicted. I believe that extra special thanks must go to Charley for hosting free of charge and especially to Ali (Alf the link master and prodigious poster) for her unique, knowledgable and entertaining style.
I like this forum because it covers and helps such a wide spectrum of skills and abilities.
I have enjoyed this hobby for 40+years and happily managed with ordinary Stanley, Record etc, etc planes and never considered that I had the skills to really warrant elitist, ultra expensive planes and chisels. I think we all aspire to owning the best that we can afford and if you have the money, buy and enjoy them but please can we have just a little less of the gloats.
To all the newbies, let me assure you that you can thoroughly enjoy this hobby with ordinary tools. Enjoy making something out of wood. Just remember Chippendale didn't have all these fancy tools

OK I feel better now.
Me, envious, of course, jealous, no.

Aldel :D :D :D

Aldel

I concur with many of your sentiments about the site, if anything it has made me take this hobby a little more seriously than when i first joined. However i find the "Serial Gloaters" some of the most helpful people on this site and in all honesty the banter the gloating creates is the reason many of us probably pop in on a more regular social basis.

So Gloat on is my moto 8) 8) 8)

Being from an IT background I have encountered all sorts of web based forums over the years. Often forums can be very 'cliquey' and generally hard for 'newbies' to get the help they need.

This forum is not like that at all and that's why it is so successful. I have not encountered one 'sour' thread. The whole atmosphear is tremendous!

Great work everyone!

Alan
I agree with your sentiments-the forum is a great place to be!!
I can only apologise about some of my, uh, gloat tainted postings. :?
To be fair though-I don't post all the toys I buy as even I get a bit embaressed at times. Sorry :roll: :lol: :lol:
I am attempting to do more "completed project" posting for you instead.
Cheers
Philly :D

Philly":vp8hpwz3 said:
I am attempting to do more "completed project" posting for you instead.
With absolutely nothing gloatable in the background? Go on, I dare ya. :wink:

Other than that I'm speechless* with embarrassment and will shuffle off with a simple Aww Shucks. :oops:

Cheers, Alf

P.S. "prodigious poster"? Is that fancy talk for "won't shut up"? :lol:

* Okay, so not quite. Like that was ever really gonna happen :roll:

Philly":3bxhn4js said:
To be fair though-I don't post all the toys I buy as even I get a bit embaressed at times.
:shock: :shock: You just can't help yourself m8! Even when you're not gloating, you're gloating! :wink: :wink:

Agree with the great site bit, and add my congrats to Charley and the other mods and regular posters.

Would I know about some of the tools I now use and enjoy if it weren't for gloating? Possibly not.
If I can manage with my <insert trusty old tool make/model here> then fine, but when I bump up against its limitations, its great to know about another tool that can do the job better and more easily.

I totally agree with whats already been said,
thanks to Charley for setting up and maintaining what is a great site, long may it continue :D
And thanks to all the rest of you for your help and inspiration.
I've browsed a number of woodworking/turning forums and this is the only one that I've felt comfatable posting on. So if your lurking out there join in. You wont find a more friendly bunch. :)

cd

i would also like to thank all the regulars and newbies as it is a frindley place to be as i have been a member of other forums in the past and you don't get a look in as most longtime members tend to stick together and don't like new faces so you tend to feel a bit of an outsider. Anyway thats enough groveling for now keep up the freindley atmosphere.

Cheers,
Derek.

Check my post count and you'll see I rate far from prodigious but since discovering this forum about a month back I've visisted everyday.
The atmosphere is comfortable and the depth of knowledge has amazed me. I am a 41 year old full time carpenter and part time cabinet maker but I don't think I've ever visited this forum without having learnt something.
Keep up the good work and rest assured that I and others like me read, appreciate and benefit from your skills.

Carl

I agree with all the foregoing.
This is a really friendly forum and no-one ever, it seems, wants to sit back and ignore the folks who are in need of some advice or assistance. It does not happen on many other forums (fora?). We should just be very pleased that this is such a friendly place and aim to keep it that way. By the way, I reckon the odd gloat is part of the charm!

Cheers.

SF

Oh no no Philly, please don't apologize, :oops: :oops: I really enjoy reading about the new aquisitions and its great to learn about the advantages of superior tools so please keep it up! My remarks were not directed at any individual.
Its the skill, knowledge and enthusiasm of all posting members that make this forum, well, so alive and interesting.
Alf you really deserve the praise.
My remarks were maybe a little inept but, oh, I don't know, perhaps to allow Joe Average and beginners feel more comfortable with the tools that they own.

Thank you all for making this forum so good.

aldel :D

Aldel":3j8brs4f said:
My remarks were maybe a little inept but, oh, I don't know, perhaps to allow Joe Average and beginners feel more comfortable with the tools that they own.

I don't think your comments were inept. I think for newcomers to the forum it may appear a bit daunting (like turning up to school with the wrong kit)! But and it is a big but, I think that it is very quickly apparent to anyone who sticks around long enough that there is in fact a genuine pleasure and desire to share the latest acquisitions (at whatever price) by the gloaters. I have never felt that it is done to alienate and I think even for someone who earns a living (apparently) from this lark its exciting to see some of the tools that I really couldn't justify to my accountant and get excited about the things I'm going to buy when the next big commission comes in.

The forum itself - a really nice place to be. I have never failed to learn here even in threads where I am prepared to offer an opinion there is always someone who adds a little more or changes the direction slightly so that the whole thing is thoroughly educating and not just a google search on a narrow topic

Thanks guys - thank you Charley, the Mods, Alf (i will use more hand tools one day!) and those others who have been more than helpful both on the forum and behind the scenes (you know who you are).

And well done Aldel for starting this thread - overdue by a long chalk (the thread I mean not you starting it :oops: )

Cheers

Tim

Tim":3j8brs4f said:
and get excited about the things I'm going to buy when the next big commission comes in.
Who has just seen a low flying squadron of pigs wearing hens' teeth!

hear, hear
as one of the new members to this forum it's been great to have met with so many supportive and encouraging comments. I too have to visit the forum every day (well, every spare moment I get in the morning, mid-morning, lunch hour, etc, etc...). this forum is a great find.
I look forward to reading the posts every day - you've probably noticed the tendency i have towards compulsion - my kids certainly have!
i'm looking forward to the time when i can post pictures of my first completed job - it could be some time though.
thanks to everyone who makes this forum both possible and the friendly helpful place it is

Stewart

I also would like to thank Charley for holding this get together, together. :D
Even tho I don't have a lot of money, I love to hear about how other folks spend their money.
I love to hear about how other people chop, saw, plane, sand, and glue their wood into different shapes.
Opinions are cheap, but I love to hear about every one, whether I agree or not. :D

Thanks again Charley for stepping up.

Travis

I think we need more compliments to mods in this thread :lol: :lol:

I agree with all of you. When i joined here I knew even less than I do now :shock: :shock: I know, hard to believe, but true.

Aldel

Don't worry about the tool thing. We all like to share the joy of new acquisitions but basic Stanleys etc. served me well for about 6 years until I 'found' LN.

I too would like to add my thanks to Charly and the mods, there tireless work is what keeps forums fresh - I know from bitter experience how much effort it takes, and that's when you're gettring paid to do it!

This forum has helped me retain my sanity for the last 6 months stuck on the worlds most boring contract, and although the plans for the new workshop have been in mind for a long time, seeing other peoples work on here really spured me on!

In my book gloat on - I'll put LOML on to you guys when she sees the cost of any new kit i buy!

Les

Les Mahon":3tlsvnax said:
... gloat on - I'll put LOML on to you guys when she sees the cost of any new kit i buy!
LOL Les!
The LNs are in the dustbin already! :wink:

Latest posts

Back