Thankless.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree Roy - thankless job.

Interestingly though I caught a Radio 4 programme about the Police strikes of 1918/19 and guess what happened when the police in Liverpool went on strike in 1919 and there was no one to uphold the rule of law? - You guessed it, rioting and looting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_police_strikes_in_1918_and_1919

Those of course were the "good old days" ;-)
Jon

Apparently during the General Strike of 1926 Jon a newspaper published a photo of the strikers playing football with police, this apparently caused Stalin to shake his head in wonderment and state that there would never be a revolution in Britain!
Them were the days! :lol:

Roy.

The spread of rioting across England occurred because police failed to respond robustly to initial disturbances, a new report has claimed.
.... and you can just imagine what would have been said if they had "responded robustly" :shock:

Roger - you mean this bit surely...

And there was further censure for police from many of those who were questioned as part of the study, with a general view that police stop-and-searches are consistently carried out without courtesy.

...in the same article - too robust and too hands-off at the same time!

Jon

chipmunk":2v89wei8 said:
Roger - you mean this bit surely...

And there was further censure for police from many of those who were questioned as part of the study, with a general view that police stop-and-searches are consistently carried out without courtesy.

...in the same article - too robust and too hands-off at the same time!

Jon

But those are two separate scenarios, surely. The first relates to the rioting and the argument that they should have gone in harder at the outset does make sense to me even though we all know that the bleedin' heart liberals would have had a field day.

The second refers to stop'n' search and I can well imagine circumstances when what we would expect as courtesy wasn't forthcoming.....but then when you have a grotty little snivelling scrote telling you to 'F**k Off' knowing full well that now because of some dim-witted febrile judge said scrote can swear to his hearts content...then...then I think I'd forego a bit of courtesy. Depends on the situation, I guess.

And you thought I was going all soft ? :twisted:

Bringing up the stop and search powers is exactly what they did when the last severe bout of rioting erupted.

With regard to stopping and searching, if someone describes an attacker as a six foot five, eighteen stone guy with a pink beard, then the first guy who matches the description is fair game for stop and check. Not much point in stopping clean-shaven, men of average height really. Or doesn't that make sense? Apparently not, because that was the argument/excuse used to get rid of the old 'suss-law'. They claimed they were being stopped just because they were there.

In truth, they just didn't like being stopped, end of. This latest objection to the stop and search powers is just a repeat. The truth is, they still don't like being stopped, and consider it an affront to their liberty. And it's that simple. So the 'powers that would-be' jump on it and see the same blue-uniformed scapegoat they always see.

It's all a load of pineapples, because the riots had nothing whatever to do with Police powers to stop and search. I fear the 'Big Society' is getting the Policing it deserves, courtesy of the sanctimonious, hand-wringing liberals.

Thank the fates I am retired.

John 8)

Don't whatever you do, John, venture over onto Platform 3 on the For3 website forum. You're blood pressure will go through the roof and you will be spitting feathers at the liberal tosh and rubbish that many vociferous members post. They managed to fill up 15 pages of moans and groans about 'how things have gone to hell in a handbasket', inequality in wealth etc but not one single post made any form of constructive comment as to how they would change things for the better.

RogerS":3pxplgj2 said:
Don't whatever you do, John, venture over onto Platform 3 on the For3 website forum. You're blood pressure will go through the roof and you will be spitting feathers at the liberal tosh and rubbish that many vociferous members post. They managed to fill up 15 pages of moans and groans about 'how things have gone to hell in a handbasket', inequality in wealth etc but not one single post made any form of constructive comment as to how they would change things for the better.

yep... Got the picture... Thanks Roger. I have an idea that might change things, but if it came to it, I would lack the energy and desire to go out to vote!

](*,) :-"
John

but not one single post made any form of constructive comment as to how they would change things for the better.

Good God man! Are you expecting logic? If they didn't have something to moan about they'd complain!

Roy.

Back