Thank you all!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewWood80

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks. I would like to thank all of you on this forum. Because of you guys my first scroll saw turned up this weekend. After reading so many responses to the same question of which saw to buy I changed my mind on spending just over a hundred pounds and saved up for the AWFS18, it took me a while longer but believe it was worth the wait. It arrived on Saturday and I've not been off it all weekend.
I've not dived into any projects as of yet, which I have loads lined up but spent the weekend getting accustomed to the saw, it's a lot different to using a bandsaw which is what got me into the whole idea making some large jigsaw name plaques for friends for Christmas and having to file by hand to get the fit right and making odd bits like combination locks and padlocks all in a quiet period of my usual engineering job.

So far my lines are not that straight but turning a 90 degree corner is getting better.

Just really wanted to thank you all for contributing to such an informative and from what I see friendly site that I'm sure I will end up making some good friends on.

James

Aged 31: from Plymouth

Hi James,
Glad to hear you got your saw.
Most blades have a burr on the right side what makes the blade cut to the right. You have to move the wood some degree to the right to stay on the line.
Have good tension, the blade should not move sideways more than 1/8" and that is almost too much. Have good speed, if not, you might start pushing too hard into the blade and the blade will start cutting with a bevel.
Have low feed rate, if you pus too hard into the blade the blade will grab the wood instead of cutting it and it will again start cutting with a bevel.
For more tips go to this site: http://www.mikesworkshop.com/Q&A-FP.htm
If you have any questions feel free to email me.
FD Mike

Hi Mike,

thanks for the advice, all advice will be greatfully recieved. I had another play when i got home today and that went a lot better. Your videos on YouTube have also been a great help and i'm really enjoying learning from you.
I will also be in touch about getting some blades from you, for the minute im quite happy using the ones that came with the saw, I did receive a pack of Pegas blades with the saw which i have been using, but ive heard the FD blades are far superior than any other brand. At the moment I'm only cutting 1/4" plywood so im quite happy at the moment.

I have had issues with my patterns not sticking very well, after a while they seem to peel back which is very frustratting. I think I probably just need to cange the brand of spray adhesive and see what happens.

Thanks Again

J

Hi James,
I have just received the same saw and ordered some flying dutchman blades to go with it. I got a friendly email telling me what the postage would be and then received them within a week - excellent service!
I had the same problem with spray adhesive as you did and then read that you should cover the pattern with clear packing tape. Apparently this also lubricates the blade, prolonging its life and reducing the chance of burning.
Enjoy your saw

hi james, i have bin scroll sawing for about 4 months now and i love it, just moved from mdf an plywood, to hard wood i am finding it hard to cut, but just love my new hobby, f/d blades are by far the best, thats what i think anyway, as for the pattern coming away, i use to have that happen with the spray, i was told of very good friend to use glue stick that you can buy from wilkinsons it works an cheaper than spray, hope this helps, take care tracey

hi james, forgot to say put masking tape over wood mdf an ply the stick pattern with glue stick, if useing hard wood then put clear tape over :)

Hey folks, thanks for the tips, I will definitely be trying out the glue stick and masking tape tips. I think what was happening was due to the fact I was lightly sanding the ply first so the adhesive was just sticking to the residual dust that was left over, I've been removing the dust further by using Sellotape and my patterns seem to be sticking a fair bit better. Think I'll be off to buy a glue stick tho this weekend.
Thanks people

James

Back