Thames valley supplies

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beech1948

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I wondered if anyone could recommend somewhere in the Thames Valley to get some planer blades sharpened / reground.

I was hoping to hear good news as well as the bad news stories of places to avoid. perhaps I should just ask where do you recommend and relay on the Post office to carry the blades/knives.

regards and thanks in advance

Hi Beech, depending on how often you need to grind them back, Thames Valley Saw service up in Oxford have ( or at least used to have) vans that come and collect/re-deliver and cover all the Thames valley (As the name implies), although when I knew them, as with many other saw doctors, I'm sure this service was only available to account/industrial customers - It has been a few years though, and they may be worth a call as I know they had a v.good reputation. Goto www.tvss.co.uk to get full details

alternatively, you could drop into a local retailer just down the good old M4, leave your knives and then re-collect when they are done - normally 1 week turnaround - the best I know of in your neck of the woods (I lived in Tilehurst, Reading for about 6 years) is The Aldermaston Tool Co. at Unit 47, Youngs Industrial Estate, Aldermaston, Berkshire, RG7 4PW, Phone :01189 811 470 – 5 mins off Jct. 12

Being lucky and in the trade, I’ve never had to send blades off for a re-grind, so that’s the best I can offer

Hope this helps

Cheers

Nick
Jet

I had my planer blades sharpened by Drews the Ironmonger in Reading - though they send them off to somebody else of course.

If I remember correctly it's a Wednesday to Wednesday service.

Like Nick the Jetman I have heard good reports on Thames Valley out of Oxford, another company possibly but slightly further afield is CRM in Waterlooville, Hants or try Wokingham Tools in Reading 0118 9661511.
Alternatively buy a sharpening system www.woodartistry.com

I also use TVSS (see link in Jetman's post). You can send stuff to them in the post. As far as I can tell, their resharpening is as good as anyone else's
John

I will try to have a chat to NLS and Thames valley in Oxford. Waterlooville is a tad to far I think.

Just to also ask do any of you have recommendations as to where to purchase some beech timber upto 100mm thick.

best regards to all

Chippychap,
Thanks. I missed you message. Wokingham Tools is only a few miles away so I will go there first.....I have asked them before about P/T blade sharpening but the young man behind the counter seemed at a loss for an answer. I'll see if I can get to speak to someone more " senior"

Many thanks

Sorry for further rapid post but...

I just called Wokingham Tools...delivered my blades there ten minutes later..had an exceptional discussion with the saw doctor who was there to pick up other work. They seem fast, responsive and the saw doctor who does their work seems to know what he's doing..brilliant.

prices...only 25p per inch...seems like a good deal. I'll let you know about quality when I get the blades back next Thursday.

Thanks Chippychap

Back