textured wood sheet/boards

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philfoot

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Can anyone help me with suggestions for the following query.

I want to purchase a supply of textured wooden sheeting/boarding for use as a wall clock back. Eventually i want to cut the sheets up into 12"x24" sizes, and in the sheet will be mounted a clock face and a picture tile.

I want the sheeting to be about 1/4" thick. But as i say i want a textured finish, for example hessian covered, or similar textures.

Has anyone seen any material like this and can suggest where i can get it from, have searched the net but cant find any at present. your suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks for reading

regards

Philfoot :?: [/b]

It is possible to get hessian faced mount board, this could easily be bonded onto MDF/ply. Ask in a good picture framers, think Aquati make it.

You could also track down hessian wallpaper though its a bit out of fasion now.

Maybe Scrit knows a source for point of sale/exhibition stand work. I know these people do various items for display work, but site is being updated

Jason

As Jason says hessian is a bit dated nowadays, although you sometimes still see is fronting softboard in shop window displays. I think all they do is staple the hessian onto ready-sized boards, or at most dry mount it with an iron-on adhesive (the type used to mount photographs). I doubt that you'd get a clean cut from a table saw on a pre-made composite in any case, so I think you'll need to size the board then laminate the decorative facing (both faces to prevent cupping)

Incidentally, in terms of textured decorative laminates Formica are still the brand leaders although other laminate producers, notably Abet Laminati and Polyrey have similarly eclectic ranges of textured laminates - but the problem is that they are hardly cheap (£80 to £200 per 2.5 x. 2.0 metre sheet!). Another possibility might be to look into a natural product such as Marmoleum (the original linoleum which is available in a fascinating range of patterns/textures.

Regards

Scrit

Latest posts

Back