Tersa compatible thicknessers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BucksDad

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Is there a list of thicknessers for which Tersa blocks are available - do they make generic sizes? I was even trying to find a lunchbox thicknesser which might support it but no luck.

I've been eyeing up which P/T to buy and generally looking at the 'high end' hobby machines with the 260 variants with a spiral cutter and not looking at Felder, Minimax, Sedgwick etc.

However now having read up on it, it seems to make much more sense to have the flexibility of Tersa over the spiral.

So... has anyone used Tersa with something which isn't a Felder, Minimax or Sedgwick and got any advice?

I have Barke turnblades retrofitted to my Jet 260. Got them from Cutting Solutions. Work great.

Mark

Thanks all for the replies.

Yes Spectric it would be great to have one with the easy fit system from the start, but that does mean a significant investment for a hobbyist just getting started

However now having read up on it, it seems to make much more sense to have the flexibility of Tersa over the spiral.

Not sure what you've read and would be interested to know what has led you to that conclusion.

I haven't used Tersa blades so can't comment on the system.

But I have been using the Axminster AT330ST spiral lunchbox style thicknesser for a couple of years. Really can't fault it (apart from the noise but all lunchbox models are very loud). I work exclusively with tropical hardwoods - I live in the tropics so that's what is available locally - and the finish quality has been superb! Just starting to think it might be time to rotate the cutters for the very first time. Very impressed with the spiral cutterblock.

Spiral / helical cutter blocks are much more popular over the last couple of years. The demand for Tersa system has really slowed right down. The spiral system gives a fantastic finish, low noise, long blade life etc. Tersa is imho a great system compared to traditional planer blades, but not as good as spiral. i did a side by side test of a couple of Martin T54 planers in our showroom, one with Tersa and one with spiral. The spiral took markedly less effort and gave a superior finish on some burr. I was really surprised at the difference of pressure required on almost identical machines.

Spiral / helical cutter blocks are much more popular over the last couple of years. The demand for Tersa system has really slowed right down. The spiral system gives a fantastic finish, low noise, long blade life etc. Tersa is imho a great system compared to traditional planer blades, but not as good as spiral. i did a side by side test of a couple of Martin T54 planers in our showroom, one with Tersa and one with spiral. The spiral took markedly less effort and gave a superior finish on some burr. I was really surprised at the difference of pressure required on almost identical machines.

Thanks for the feedback to both you and @Bojam

If you want to start selling a lunchbox thicknesser with an induction motor and spiral cutter then let me know and I'll be your first customer :)

spiral cutter blocks /spindles are great if u have a Dewalt or other popular planer.....
Horrnendous cost for a custom made unit.....mines around 16" wide cutting capasity......
I have all the metal work machines to make one (shaft no prob) but not the total skill nesessary with the Bridgeport to cut the little angular flats......
but just might have a go.....
where do u go to get the carbide cutters.....? Bangood etc......

Inspector,
I did write to the firm in Canada that advertises on here for a rough cost but they never bothered to write back.....
I did consider the Tersa system but that would also need a custom cutter block to be made.....so why bother.....?
Unless anyone has modified a standard cutter block to fit the tersa blade holder.....

Out of interest anyone got a photo of the Tersa blade holder.....?

Inspector,
I did write to the firm in Canada that advertises on here for a rough cost but they never bothered to write back.....
I did consider the Tersa system but that would also need a custom cutter block to be made.....so why bother.....?
Unless anyone has modified a standard cutter block to fit the tersa blade holder.....

Good thing I poked into this thread or I wouldn't have known you were mentioning me.

I don't know which company advertised here as I have the ads turned off. I know of two that advertise on a Canadian forum, one I have messaged and would use because they have heads to match my Hitachi planer/jointer, the other doesn't so I don't know how good they are at responding. Sheartak make heads to order (have made the Hitachi) and LuxHeads seem to sell only popular brands so might get them in small batches, I can't say with certainty. They also sell the US made Shelix heads made in the US by Byrd as well. Sheartak have them made to order in China (I believe) at their factory. They responded right away to my questions in the chat box.
http://www.sheartak.comhttps://luxcutheads.com
Pete

Thanks Pete,
glad ur here for us.....
I will give them another try......
to get stuff from Canada is not so bad as long as it goes into France or Belgium....
French speaking.....!!!!!!!!!
anything from the US is a nightmare regarding transport and duties....

Out of interest I bought a used speedo for a 1914 motorcycle...they still wanted
over £75 import duty for something secondhand and damaged (used items are supposed to be duty free).......

Pity I cant get one made in Taiwan or where ever direct.....as a £1000 for a cutter head is gonna hurt....plus the transp+duties.....so with an average cost of things I have bought from the US... the cost roughly doubles by the time u get it to ur house....
It seems that this side of the pond we are peinalised buying from the US....

As far as I know Sheartak ship the heads directly from where they make them in China. You just pay the guy here. Maybe that will reduce some of the import fees. They will be able to tell you and if you have an import classification that gets a lower import rate tell them and they can mark the package accordingly. Wood machining part rather than Wood thicknesser part for example.

Pete

Latest posts

Back